• Advertisement

New vs. old

Have questions about telemark technique? We have invited seven professional telemark instructors to help out with any questions you may have. If you are a never-ever wondering how to start or an expert tele skier wondering how to polish up that mogul run, here is the place to look.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk, Williamtele

New vs. old

Postby Williamtele » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:00 am

While watching the attached video I started thinking about how telemark technique has evolved over the years.....or has it? The movie shows some great skiers from the 90's on floppy gear in very challenging conditions. Would they look different in 2017? if so, why and how?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOuSAF1_FhY
Williamtele

Re: New vs. old

Postby Biff » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:03 am

There is no question that we had to work a lot harder for the turns on that gear. Those skiers on todays gear (big boots and especially fat rockered skis) would have cruised through the gnarly stuff whereas they were jumping and pumping on the skinnies.
The only "normal" people are the ones you don't know.
Biff
Site Admin

Postby Go Fish » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:40 pm

I agree with Biff.

30 years ago I could have been seen on similar terrain with Supercomps and an old pair of 200 cm slalom skis trying to look as graceful as those cats (and failing). It was hard work. These days my gear makes easy work of the steeps (it is definitely not because I am stronger than I was in my 20s)

I bet if you could find the guys in that video now they would be looking effortless while railing a 50 degree headwall on new school gear.
Go Fish

Postby Williamtele » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:32 am

So I think that was my point....that what made great tele skiers back then is not really different from what makes them (not us) great today. With all the talk about evolving technique and the new gear, the core components of a good tele turn haven't really changed. I think the difference is that what they were doing was really hard and demanded not only sick athletic skills but the vision and guts to commit to lines that would incapacitate mere mortals (us). The new gear helps modern skiers physically and the way it is now taught adds structure to what once was done purely by instinct.
Williamtele

Return to Telemark Instruction