• Advertisement

Crickets . . .

A forum for general discussions.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk, Williamtele

Crickets . . .

Postby Dirk » Thu May 24, 2018 7:29 am

Telemarkeast is a lot like a ski town itself - bustling midwinter, deader than hell in May. Hopefully folks will pull out their bikes, hiking boots, and boats soon and start posting photos of their summer adventures.

Rob no doubt will oblige with photos of the slackfest, which looks to be on the wet side this year. As your Mainer would say, bring a slickah!
Dirk

Re: Crickets . . .

Postby RobRox » Thu May 24, 2018 2:40 pm

Dirk wrote:Telemarkeast is a lot like a ski town itself - bustling midwinter, deader than hell in May. Hopefully folks will pull out their bikes, hiking boots, and boats soon and start posting photos of their summer adventures.

Rob no doubt will oblige with photos of the slackfest, which looks to be on the wet side this year. As your Mainer would say, bring a slickah!
Heading up to NH on Friday morning in hopes of a rain free descent of Airplane Gully in the afternoon...

As for the rest of the w/e, it looks drizmal....nevertheless I plan to persist.
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
RobRox

Postby benny » Thu May 24, 2018 11:10 pm

That’s the spirit RR.

As Northeastern skiers, we should know that forecasts are often not right. If I called off an outing every time there was a crappy forecast, I would have missed many memorable days.

As NE kiers, we are optimists by definition.
benny

Postby RobRox » Tue May 29, 2018 10:13 am

benny wrote:That’s the spirit RR.

As Northeastern skiers, we should know that forecasts are often not right. If I called off an outing every time there was a crappy forecast, I would have missed many memorable days.

As NE kiers, we are optimists by definition.

So true!

Nevertheless, he persisted. As the song says, "two out of three ain't bad".

Didn't try for AG on Friday. A speedy climb back out would have got me off the mountain before the road closed.....speedy is not me anymore, not without a very un-slackworthy level of effort.
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
RobRox

Postby Bob T » Wed May 30, 2018 10:46 am

Bob T

Postby Dirk » Thu May 31, 2018 8:42 am

that is way cool, Bob. I have no idea how you did that.
Dirk

Postby Bob T » Thu May 31, 2018 12:02 pm

Hey Dirk. GoPro in a tree taking shots once a second in evening light. I'm committed to bringing shots back of this place that reflect how amazing it is. Supernaturally beautiful. Like running in a scene from the movie Avatar. Especially in the morning. Trying to figure out how to capture a photo of it keeps my mind off the cardio-vascular suffering part. :)

So far this summer I've seen a moose (on that same forest road) and a Lynx (or it might have been a Bobcat or a bob-tailed tawny pitbull).
Bob T

Postby Dirk » Thu May 31, 2018 12:48 pm

Where are you? I understand if its a secret. And it's nice to see a truly artistic use of GoPro. Most GoPro footage gets tedious pretty quick.
Dirk

Postby Bob T » Thu May 31, 2018 3:27 pm

Southern end of North South Rd in Glencliff. It's been closed since the July 1st deluge last summer.
Bob T

Postby Williamtele » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:44 am

Speaking of insects, what's with the black flies this year? We had the mountain cleanup at Waterville on Saturday and I almost threw myself in the garbage bag just to get away from them. Can we blame it on the president?
Williamtele

Postby Bob T » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:57 am

Black flies "embrace a vision of vast executive power", but thankfully they're short lived. The other day I went for a hike and thought "oh, the flies won't be so bad. I'll just ignore them". Ha. It was Adirondaks, eating flies, lose your mind bad.

p.s. --- if you like good writing and SAR stories check out: Critical Hours, Search and Rescue in the White Mountains. Just published by Sandy Stott, former editor of the AMC's Appalachia journal. I'd recommend it for the writing alone.
Bob T

Postby jrjr » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:09 am

Thanks for the tip! I just ordered it after reading the preview. This paragraph sold me. Can't wait to read this!!!

Bob T wrote:p.s. --- if you like good writing and SAR stories check out: Critical Hours, Search and Rescue in the White Mountains. Just published by Sandy Stott, former editor of the AMC's Appalachia journal. I'd recommend it for the writing alone.
Attachments
criticalhour.jpg
criticalhour.jpg (59.83 KiB) Viewed 150 times
jrjr

Postby Biff » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:00 am

Speaking of black flies..... Actually, speaking of ticks; I had anaplasmosis last November which was my first tick borne illness. The thing that really gets me about the whole tick borne illness thing is how disquised the illness can be. I think thats the reason so many people get lyme or aniplasmosis and don't know they have it, thus going way too long before being treated thus getting the long term effects that are harder to deal with. I got hit with a monster fever that would come and go plus total exhaustion. When I tried to see a doctor they made an appointment a month down the road and a lot of good that would do. Because of the symptoms and what I had heard from friends who hd caught the illness I ended up driving to the medical center and demanding a blood test. Even then I had to wait a week for results before they would put me on doxi. As it is, even catching it as quickly as I did, I have developed a heart condition thanks to it.

the point being.... these illnesses are rampant so be aware. I have countless friends that have gotten lyme and a few didn't catch it in time and have been suffering the consequences for years.
The only "normal" people are the ones you don't know.
Biff
Site Admin

Postby Dirk » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:35 am

That's a huge bummer, Biff. I try to be pretty tick aware, as I'm in the woods all the time. Only two so far this summer. I do recall that when Lee and I were up your way two years ago we were picking ticks off after every hike.
Dirk

Postby Bob T » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:31 am

Wow, Biff. Sorry to hear about the heart condition. That's certainly a wake up call. It's almost as if we need something as simple as a blood glucose meter that can be used weekly with blood from a finger prick.

I googled aniplasmosis and heart condition and as recently as 2005 it was rare. Scary to think that's changed so quickly.

Only two Dirk? I have to start hiking in your upland woods. They're super prevalent down here.
Bob T

Next

Return to General Topics