• Advertisement

Crickets . . .

A forum for general discussions.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk, Williamtele

Re: Crickets . . .

Postby benny » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:30 pm

Dirk wrote: If you squint, you can see East Bowl, one of my favorite trails.

East Bowl is a gem. Much like Lower Antelope at MRG, the run out requires a bit of effort which keeps the masses away.
benny

Postby Biff » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:43 am

benny wrote:
Biff wrote:Speaking of black flies..... Actually, speaking of ticks; I had anaplasmosis last November which was my first tick borne illness. The thing that really gets me about the whole tick borne illness thing is how disquised the illness can be. I think thats the reason so many people get lyme or aniplasmosis and don't know they have it, thus going way too long before being treated thus getting the long term effects that are harder to deal with. I got hit with a monster fever that would come and go plus total exhaustion. When I tried to see a doctor they made an appointment a month down the road and a lot of good that would do. Because of the symptoms and what I had heard from friends who hd caught the illness I ended up driving to the medical center and demanding a blood test. Even then I had to wait a week for results before they would put me on doxi. As it is, even catching it as quickly as I did, I have developed a heart condition thanks to it.

the point being.... these illnesses are rampant so be aware. I have countless friends that have gotten lyme and a few didn't catch it in time and have been suffering the consequences for years.

Sorry to hear of this Biff. While taking doxi, did you experience herx like one can when treating lyme?

Benny, what is herx?
The only "normal" people are the ones you don't know.
Biff
Site Admin

Postby oldschool » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:58 am

Dirk, capecodtele and Benny -

Could you give me a town name near these rides? I'd like to get over to VT to bike (and drink beer) some this coming month and CCC roads are what I'm looking for along with quieter state routes or roads. I have a Delorme for VT/NH so can likely figure out from there.

Thanks -
oldschool
oldschool

Postby oldschool » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:17 am

Started this a couple weeks ago then saved it as a draft - well, here's my summer so far and some references to the earlier posts in this thread -

I will have to think about adding the possibility of attending the Mt. W Slackfest to my spring agenda in the future. May tends to be a busy month for me - wrap up of classes is always a busy time. Generally once the semester has wrapped I try to get our garden in shape, disappear for some fishing and now biking at our summer cabin in PA and attend to other loose ends before some summer work comes in June.

This year was tough as finding a week in May to go fish when the weather was cooperating was proving to be challenging. Finally settled on the week before Memorial Day and spent Sunday afternoon furiously planting stuff in our garden before packing and getting out of town late. Rolled into our cabin around midnight and got settled. The week is kind of a blur - quite a lot of rain in the early part of the week so water was really high in the river our place is on - I spent an hour fishing streamers for stockies and got two. Took a nice bike ride for 27 miles as well. On Tuesday I went for another nice ride of 32 miles and decided reading might be a better plan so I finished up the 5th book in the series I'm reading and drove into town (Williamsport, PA) to pick up a few other necessities for the week and visit a bookstore https://www.yelp.com/biz/otto-bookstore-williamsport plus a brewpub https://www.yelp.com/biz/bullfrog-brewery-williamsport?osq=bullfrog+brewery that are within two blocks of one another. I like to support the brick and mortars when I can and was glad to make both visits. Headed back to our cabin with a growler filled with a nice very tart offering - their Old Gold Framboise. On Wed. my folks arrived for the long weekend and it rained some more - fishing was then blown for a couple of days. Thurs. took another nice ride for about 17 miles near Worlds End State Park - shorter ride but lots of climbing and descending. My wife arrived with our dog Friday evening for the weekend and she brought her bike, so we did some biking on Saturday and Sunday. Packed up on Monday and spent a bit of time fishing in the afternoon since it was finally possible to wade in far enough to chuck some dry flies - caught and released 5 in a few hours of nice fishing before hopping in the VW for the trip home.

Since I wrote the stuff above I've been back to our cabin again a couple of times - water came down nicely and there was some decent fishing - there is a well stocked pool that is a five minute walk downstream from our cabin which is nice. 15 miles upstream there is a Delayed Harvest section which can be really nice fishing too. This year I've now caught and released a few of the bigger resident rainbows there as well. My garden is limping along - have had a lot of weeding work to start the season and damn deer are leaping over the 9 foot fence I think too and chewing on chard and kale I have coming up. Managed to grow some nice radishes so far but the carrots seem not to be doing well - think the seeds were not all that good.

Have not been biking enough - been doing some work stuff and working on dealing with my VW Westfalia which had the alternator crap out on the trip back home from Memorial Day. Replacing that has been a long slog of decisions and ordering but finally I got it done - wound up replacing it myself which was something of a first for me considering I don't even bother changing the oil myself. Now that the van is back in business I should be able to get back to biking some more - I like using it to head someplace to ride from as out my door has become a bit stale, not to mention living in the city limits some directional options.

This coming week will be back to PA for some time down there and will work on getting some riding done. I had hoped to get in better shape this summer but a slow start to the season due to work stuff has created a big bad lag that way and I'm feeling it.
oldschool
oldschool

Postby benny » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:51 am

Biff,

“Herx” is short for Herxheimer Reaction. It’s common when treating Lyme Disease with doxy. As the germs are being killed off there are toxins released which temporarily exacerbate the symptoms of the underlying infection. Since there are many false negatives with the Lyme test, herx can almost be considered a confirmation of infection.
benny

Postby Dirk » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:49 am

oldschool wrote:Dirk, capecodtele and Benny -

Could you give me a town name near these rides? I'd like to get over to VT to bike (and drink beer) some this coming month and CCC roads are what I'm looking for along with quieter state routes or roads. I have a Delorme for VT/NH so can likely figure out from there.

Thanks -

You could do a gravel road loop around Burke and Umpire Mountains using the Victory Road, River Road, Victory Hill, Kirby Mountain and Ridge roads. I'm guessing around 35 miles, only two miles of pavement. Start in East Burke. That would be pretty epic. Zero traffic, except for a mile or two of Route 114. Pack lots of food and water, I don't think there's a store anywhere on that loop.
Dirk

Postby benny » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:48 pm

Old School,

Dirk will be much more help than I can be. I’m a roadie (though not opposed to mixing gravel roads into a road ride) and most of my Vt rides come and go from the Mad River Valley.
benny

Postby oldschool » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:21 am

Thanks for the pointer Dirk -

Benny - no problem - let me know if you're interested in getting together to ride a bit this summer - that mix of road plus a bit of dirt road is what I really like when I can find it but I prefer paved roads myself a lot of the time. My schedule for the coming month is pretty open and I'd be up for getting over your way to sample riding and local brews over there. End of the month I do plan to do the Ididaride in the Adirondacks again -
oldschool
oldschool

Postby Biff » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:35 am

Teleman has been sending me pictures to put up but for some reason my server has not been able to see them. I always name his jpgs and I'm guessing that for some reason the names suddenly started throwing the server off. Anyway, on a whim I stopped naming them and just numbered them and lo and behold they are working. Go figure.

So here are a few of the shots he just sent me. I think he said they were from april.

The only "normal" people are the ones you don't know.
Biff
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General Topics