A forum for general discussions.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk, Williamtele

Paging Freedan....

Postby Grant » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:11 am

...Freedan, please check your PMs.
Grant

Re: Paging Freedan....

Postby Grant » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:50 am

For those dying of curiousity, Dan answered some questions regarding the Meidjo binding for me.

If you haven't heard or demo'd them, do so! Telemarkdown has demos available and sells them as well.
Grant

Postby Dirk » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:32 am

Grant, my question, as a traditional cheap-ass, is what makes them almost $300 better than the NTN Freedom? I know you've skied both.
Dirk

Postby Grant » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:08 pm

Dirk wrote:Grant, my question, as a traditional cheap-ass, is what makes them almost $300 better than the NTN Freedom? I know you've skied both.

I think there are significant differences:

-tech pin touring provides multiple benefits including; frictionless pivot, you are not lifting the binding weight with each step, it is releaseable, and it actually allows less play at the toe than the Freedom toe cup.
-the Freedom weighs almost twice as much as the Meidjo. For touring bindings, this is important.
-the Meidjo has a much smoother spring travel than the Freedom with no dead spots.
-the Meidjo is actually much simpler than the Freedom.
-the Freedom is well know to be prone to breakage including shooting the little plastic puck that holds the cable out of the binding midturn.
-the most updated version of Meidjo has had little to no known failure points.
-break a Rotte binding 366 days after buying it and you will be out of luck. It's well established that Rotte will let you hang in the wind. While The M Equipment's warranty is that same 1 year from purchase, I'll bet that Pierre will respond with an acceptable solution.

Whether those things are worth $300 more, I don't know. Only the purchaser can decide.
Grant

Postby Dirk » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:35 pm

thanks Grant. Well and concisely put.
Dirk

Return to General Topics