• Advertisement

My bike is ready...

A forum for general discussions.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk, Williamtele

My bike is ready...

Postby MikeK » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:25 pm

Finished the yearly rebuild on my trail bike last week. It's ready, I'm ready... gonna start moving some skis back to the basement.

I'm still hopeful I'll bring them up for a time or two more, but it doesn't look good.

I suppose I could spend $60 to ski on man-made... not really calling to me though. Maybe if we get some nice warm days without rain and there isn't grass poking through.

Hoping for a dry spring... bike ON!
MikeK

Re: My bike is ready...

Postby RobRox » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:05 pm

My MRG workday vouchers are unused, I haven't even picked up my Mad Card and Mad Money. Sudden hip issues may prevent me from using any of them.....
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
RobRox

Postby oldschool » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:41 pm

Two weeks ago I went when the conditions were really good and then they started heading to crap. I was glad I did because basically 98% of the terrain at Gore was open that day and my son and I enjoyed a day of heading from one double black to the next with the odd trip down other blacks not often open and a lot of glade skiing which he likes on his snowboard and semi-terrifies me even paralleling but I do it anyway. Then I figured I'd make last weekend a work weekend to catch up on a bunch of things, which I mostly did. No snow on the ground anywhere close to my house these days - evidently some an hour plus to the north for XC if I care to make the trip. I have one more tele day to pay on my frequent skier card this year to score my free day. I usually shoot to make that back to back as a weekend of skiing with the free day on the second one when I'm a bit more tired and don't mind taking it a little easier. In the back of my mind as the sh** warmer and wet weather started setting in these past weeks and my general outlook got a bit darker, I realized there was a good chance that this year won't have what I have come to kind of live for - - those nice spring days when the base has been built up all year and it rolls over to a warm day with plenty of soft snow to ski and sunshine. Had a few moments of that in January this year during one of the stupid thaws, but not the stellar spring days I've come to look forward to so very much. Last year I got in some nice skiing over spring break (like two weeks from now) with a surprise late storm that everyone enjoyed. Then broke my hand and that was the end of my season. This year it looks like it is going to get thinner and thinner and thinner, which just totally sucks.

Given that the last day I was skiing was a great one I'm happy about that. The new T2Ecos had arrived the day before but I did not have enough time to figure out which pair was the right size and did not feel like sacrificing a stellar day re-learning how to ski on a pretty different rig, albeit likely with a lot more to drive skis around. So I skied the comfy Merrell Comps that day to insure the enjoyment. Should have gone yesterday. If there's been any lesson I've had from this year it's been that, more and more, you have to get it while you can and take advantage of what snow there is. Also, I think I may revisit my ideas about skiing when it is 0-10 F. We had a bunch of butt cold days that I hunkered down and shoveled our driveway instead of trying to XC at least.

I realize all this is very much a first world problem for me but what can I say, it affects my outlook a lot I guess.

So I'm going to get my last days in some way, some how this year and then like Mike, look forward to the switch over to spring activities - cycling, fly fishing and maybe some rock climbing outdoors this year for the first time in about 15 years. We have a gym now in town and my son has been enjoying it with me - it will be interesting to see how this goes - my plan is to maybe visit Rumney with him and clip some bolts to slowly step back into leading - I'd like to get back to the Gunks where 18 years ago I could lead 5.8 trad very solidly, but about forty pounds of winters drinking beer too much and skiing too little plus an inherent fear of heights may make the progress to leading multi-pitch trad again kind of slow. As activities go, fly fishing has much more minimal hazard concern all the way around where a bad day is failing to figure out what they are rising to or being too stupid to tie enough of that fly to keep the flybox stocked.

F-me this weather sucks...
oldschool
oldschool

Postby MikeK » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:15 pm

You know, I could b*tch and whine about our lack of snow this year, and in recent years, but it's going to continue, so I say, just get used to it and embrace it when you can. I was going good to make my yearly quota, which is only 30 days, but probably 7 short of that now and not looking like I will make them unless I get some decent spring resort skiing. Oh well... it's nice to have, but not necessary.

You know, Oldschool, I used to think I was into rock climbing way back around when I graduated high school, until I figured out I wasn't... or that's what I always say. I did a lot of gym climbing and bouldering, but when it came to real exposure, I f*ckin hated it. I always told myself the ropes would make it better... they didn't. I told myself I'd get used to it, I never did. It's just one of those things that isn't for everyone. I could probably train myself these days, but still no way I'd be up on a big wall. Anyway, I learned this on about a 80-90' quarry wall in the Adirondacks when I couldn't go up it (and neither could a few of my other aspiring climbing friends) but a couple went right up it with no ropes.
MikeK

Postby oldschool » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:57 pm

Spring weather always makes me kind of sad -

Mike - I hear what you say about climbing - for me, I got into it about 25 years ago near the end of graduate school - really loved climbing in the Gunks as it worked well for me. Climbs there are a wide range, well protected if G or PG rated and not too committing since its mostly 2 pitch climbs or so for the most part. Back in the day I ran a lot for exercise and climbed in the gym too. That was a great combination and even though I have a fear of heights, when I was climbing a lot, that part was dialed down and I generally felt safe on a rope and leading. I also led stuff that was hard but at or below my climbing ability in the gym - probably took 2 falls if that in my whole time climbing and both were tiny. Clipping bolts is fun enough - climbed at Smith Rocks with a friend and those climbs get heady as once you're about half way up they put the bolts further apart since you're not gonna deck but it is a little more run out. Once I moved to syracuse, had kids, no longer really had a gym in town or a climbing partner that was the end. I miss some of it, but in the intervening years have gotten back into fly fishing and have done more paddling and hiking.
oldschool
oldschool

Return to General Topics