• Advertisement

Another musical interlude

A forum for general discussions.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk, Williamtele

Another musical interlude

Postby Bern » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:12 pm

I'm somewhat musical but nowhere as musical as Biff. I watch his piano vids now and then even if they make me feel kind of inadequate. But I do have a great appreciation of those who have that kind of talent. I became interested in child prodigies when I learned a friend in my hometown in upstate NY has a brother, Joe Alfidi, who died several years ago who was a celebrated pianist as a young boy. He actually conducted the NY Philharmonic at age 11. He went on to study piano at the Belgian Conservatory of Music, being sponsored by the Queen of Belgium.

I recently came across another prodigy, Alma Deucher who has been playing both piano and violin since age 2 and 3 and currently at age 10, I think, she is at about at a world class level. In addition, she is also a composer which she states is her major interest. In fact, she recently composed an opera which primiered in Vienna. She is being hailed as a modern day Mozart.

In the first video she is shown improvising on four random notes and it is obvious music bubbles out of her. In the second, she and another prodigy are playing a Bach concerto for two pianos with the Jerusalem Philharmonic. I especially like this vid because of the way the conductor, during the intermezzo draws the girls out about the music they are playing. It's obvious they are all, girls and conductor, are have a great time. There is another video on the same U-tube page where the girls, both switch instruments: same orchestra, same girls, but now playing violins.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvECZ_ZXGqs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epshAHNiY9Q
Life is complex - it has real and imaginary parts

You can observe a lot by looking. Yogi Berra
Bern

Re: Another musical interlude

Postby Biff » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:58 pm

Bern wrote:I'm somewhat musical but nowhere as musical as Biff. I watch his piano vids now and then even if they make me feel kind of inadequate. But I do have a great appreciation of those who have that kind of talent. I became interested in child prodigies when I learned a friend in my hometown in upstate NY has a brother, Joe Alfidi, who died several years ago who was a celebrated pianist as a young boy. He actually conducted the NY Philharmonic at age 11. He went on to study piano at the Belgian Conservatory of Music, being sponsored by the Queen of Belgium.

I recently came across another prodigy, Alma Deucher who has been playing both piano and violin since age 2 and 3 and currently at age 10, I think, she is at about at a world class level. In addition, she is also a composer which she states is her major interest. In fact, she recently composed an opera which primiered in Vienna. She is being hailed as a modern day Mozart.

In the first video she is shown improvising on four random notes and it is obvious music bubbles out of her. In the second, she and another prodigy are playing a Bach concerto for two pianos with the Jerusalem Philharmonic. I especially like this vid because of the way the conductor, during the intermezzo draws the girls out about the music they are playing. It's obvious they are all, girls and conductor, are have a great time. There is another video on the same U-tube page where the girls, both switch instruments: same orchestra, same girls, but now playing violins.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvECZ_ZXGqs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epshAHNiY9Q

Talk about feeling inadequate.... I'm always in awe of kids like those girls.
The only "normal" people are the ones you don't know.
Biff
Site Admin

Re: Another musical interlude

Postby Bob T » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:26 am

The two piano concerto is divine.
Bob T

Return to General Topics