• Advertisement

conditions?

A forum for general discussions.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk, Williamtele

conditions?

Postby Biff » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:07 pm

Whats going on around New England? It rained all day here on the Maine coast but no idea how it's going inland.
The only "normal" people are the ones you don't know.
Biff
Site Admin

Re: conditions?

Postby Bob T » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:52 am

Rain yesterday here in the interior. At least to 1700'. Probably also up to 3000' I'm guessing. Goopy wet snow that could corn up a little this week?
Bob T

Postby telehubby » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:14 pm

^^^ What he said. It rained lightly for a couple of hours yesterday. Looks like early spring here.
telehubby

Postby capecodtele » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:59 am

I was up at Mt Washington on Sunday. It was warm and there was temp inversion. I skied the Sherburne and the snow up top was nice and soft but it firmed up and got scratchy at the bottom in the fog. It rained everywhere up in that area all the way to the summits from about noon til after dark. They got almost half and inch in north conway. Skied Sunday River yesterday on a $23 special and surprisingly they recovered pretty well from the rain. Anything that was groomed was nice and edgeable with only a few ice spots. Most of the ungroomed and natural trails were either closed or looked treacherous.
capecodtele

Postby Dirk » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:46 am

Heavy rain in Vermont in some places Saturday afternoon, light rain in others Sunday. I don't think anyplace escaped completely unscathed. Still a fair amount of base though so groomers are good.
Dirk

Postby Biff » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:10 pm

How about this latest? Just wind and rain here in maine but it looks like some spots got hammered with snow.

It's beginning to feel like winter is over here.....
Biff
Site Admin

Postby benny » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:54 am

Plattekill received the full impact, 2-3'. Skiing was fantastic yesterday.

I rode my Voile Drifters for the first time in a few seasons. What fun.
benny

Postby MikeK » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:07 am

Finger lakes got it pretty good too, especially at the higher elevations. Probably 16+ inches.

Unfortunately it wasn't great snow. Came down really wet and heavy and temps dropped yesterday at the high elevations, so it was really stiff. Odd stiff though... you'd sink down a lot but breaking trail was brutal and going down was really slow, even on steeper shots. The XC aspect was actually great once you got back in a trail you broke - the snow was fast and glidey, even with wider skis.
MikeK

Postby telehubby » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:07 am

The Laurentiennes snow pack has held up better than New England's. We were up at Mont Tremblant for Wednesday-Thursday skiing. It snowed about 6" and Skiing was good.
Wednesday we were salivating at their glades but didn't dare because of the hardpack in there. The snow made all the difference for Thursday.
It started snowing hard in Montreal as we toured McGill Friday afternoon. Thought it might have been the big nor'easter starting. Alas, an hour east of the city it stopped with narry a drop of precip all the way home. Cannon was typical porcelain yesterday. :cry:
telehubby

Postby North816 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:27 pm

needless to say we got hosed by this noreaster! that monster should have delivered 3-4 feet to the mountains. Just not a good year for the storm track.
North816

Postby Biff » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:33 pm

benny wrote:Plattekill received the full impact, 2-3'. Skiing was fantastic yesterday.

I used to love skiing Plattekill. That must have been an awesome day. I have a feeling I have had my last outing of the season on my Schusters.... Hope I'm wrong.
Biff
Site Admin

Postby RobRox » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:55 pm

Biff wrote:
benny wrote:Plattekill received the full impact, 2-3'. Skiing was fantastic yesterday.

I used to love skiing Plattekill. That must have been an awesome day. I have a feeling I have had my last outing of the season on my Schusters.... Hope I'm wrong.

Wednesday and Thursday may give you a short reprieve....THINK SNOW!!!!!!
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
RobRox

Postby Go Fish » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:19 pm

I skied Stratton today and it was fantastic. It was all groomed but it was soft as a baby's bottom . The only ice was in exposed areas that got wind scrubbed.
Go Fish

Postby edgeworker » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:56 pm

Folks from Jay Peak and Smuggs areas came to Plattekill for the storm. They were not disappointed. The little mountain that could
Hit it like you`ve got a pair!
edgeworker

Postby North816 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:09 pm

this looks a lot better! Quinn is coming east

https://weather.com/storms/winter/news/ ... stal-storm

NEW0001.jpg
NEW0001.jpg (111.4 KiB) Viewed 546 times
North816

Next

Return to General Topics