• Advertisement

Ahhhhh.......

A forum for general discussions.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk, Williamtele

Ahhhhh.......

Postby Biff » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:58 pm

Finally got out on a powder day with my new Liberty Schusters. Got first tracks at Abram on about a foot of nice powder. I tell you... there is just nothing like big fat rockered skis on a pow day. And the skis performed wonderfully...except when they hit a hidden stump. They are so fat I figured they would go over anything but...no.
The only "normal" people are the ones you don't know.
User avatar
Biff
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3398
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:22 am
Location: Maine

Re: Ahhhhh.......

Postby flyingcow » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:28 am

Biff wrote:Finally got out on a powder day with my new Liberty Schusters. Got first tracks at Abram on about a foot of nice powder. I tell you... there is just nothing like big fat rockered skis on a pow day. And the skis performed wonderfully...except when they hit a hidden stump. They are so fat I figured they would go over anything but...no.


When Ahhhhhh.... turns to AHHHHHHH!!!!
Far less perfect than Zim.
flyingcow
 
Posts: 653
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:01 pm
Location: Stowe, VT

Re: Ahhhhh.......

Postby Bob T » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:17 am

Skied Burke yesterday morning and if you skied anywhere that was untracked you ran a fair risk of encountering some not-fun-thing below the perfectness. Although there was some mighty fine perfectness.

I have to say, skiing left-served is like 10 times more dangerous than solo bc skiing the woods at night. Since there's no real reason to slow down, and the untracked is along the edges of the trails, there are lots of things whizzing by that would put some serious physics on you if they had the chance.

Lift-served observation #15: In chopped up pow, I could see skiing something that was much damper than first gen Chargers. And maybe 4 buckles too.
User avatar
Bob T
 
Posts: 861
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:07 am
Location: Ammonoosuc Watershed

Re: Ahhhhh.......

Postby Dirk » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:20 am

Bob T wrote:Skied Burke yesterday morning and if you skied anywhere that was untracked you ran a fair risk of encountering some not-fun-thing below the perfectness. Although there was some mighty fine perfectness.

I have to say, skiing left-served is like 10 times more dangerous than solo bc skiing the woods at night. Since there's no real reason to slow down, and the untracked is along the edges of the trails, there are lots of things whizzing by that would put some serious physics on you if they had the chance.

Lift-served observation #15: In chopped up pow, I could see skiing something that was much damper than first gen Chargers. And maybe 4 buckles too.


Lee and I were at Mad River Glen yesterday morning. It was my first day of lift-served this year as well, and I too made some gear observations. First, my second-generation Karhu Jak (90mm waist) remains one of the all time fun skis, even though its hopelessly old school by today's standards. I hope to get another couple seasons out of them. Second, after skiing T3s all winter, the T2X with a wrap liner feels like a big stiff monster boot. I can't imagine going back to anything beefier, unless maybe I was skiing in-bounds full time.
Dirk
 
Posts: 1353
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:50 am
Location: Orange, Vermont

Re: Ahhhhh.......

Postby Grant » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:59 am

Dirk wrote:Lee and I were at Mad River Glen yesterday morning. It was my first day of lift-served this year as well, and I too made some gear observations. First, my second-generation Karhu Jak (90mm waist) remains one of the all time fun skis, even though its hopelessly old school by today's standards. I hope to get another couple seasons out of them. Second, after skiing T3s all winter, the T2X with a wrap liner feels like a big stiff monster boot. I can't imagine going back to anything beefier, unless maybe I was skiing in-bounds full time.


I think the Jak was so far ahead of it's time, that it took a lot of other ski makers years to catch up. That ski just rocks.

Magic was fantastic yesterday. My Voile Vectors were just the ticket and my Gen 2 orange Freeride bindings (that have been welded in multiple places and set screws repaired by tele.skier in Seattle) held up to the abuse.
User avatar
Grant
 
Posts: 1041
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:13 am
Location: So Vt

Re: Ahhhhh.......

Postby Biff » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:20 pm

Bob T wrote:Skied Burke yesterday morning and if you skied anywhere that was untracked you ran a fair risk of encountering some not-fun-thing below the perfectness. Although there was some mighty fine perfectness.

I have to say, skiing left-served is like 10 times more dangerous than solo bc skiing the woods at night. Since there's no real reason to slow down, and the untracked is along the edges of the trails, there are lots of things whizzing by that would put some serious physics on you if they had the chance.

Lift-served observation #15: In chopped up pow, I could see skiing something that was much damper than first gen Chargers. And maybe 4 buckles too.


I hear you. Abram had terrible coverage and then a foot of pow on top. It's hard not to ski every bit of untracked you see but sometimes you see all these little mounds and you just know there are stumps under there. But, being a fool, I still ski it.
The only "normal" people are the ones you don't know.
User avatar
Biff
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3398
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:22 am
Location: Maine

Re: Ahhhhh.......

Postby Stormy Monday » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:37 pm

finally get to ski Abram tomorrow on good snow, on my very fattest skis - 1st generation Super Stinx. Yeah I know, my Piste Pipes were fatter but I sold them to finance a guitar...
Stormy Monday
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:12 am

Re: Ahhhhh.......

Postby Stormy Monday » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:40 pm

Must have p1ssed off Ullr last week, stumbled through the dark mudroom, kicked a boot the wrong way and immediately snapped my little toe. Dang! Looks like a couple weeks off, but I can still drink...
Stormy Monday
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:12 am

Re: Ahhhhh.......

Postby telehubby » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:44 pm

I just remounted my BD Justice for NTN in time for this weeks storm. Hadn't skied them in a couple years. Ahhhhhh........
User avatar
telehubby
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:39 am
Location: Sugar Hill, NH

Re: Ahhhhh.......

Postby Biff » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:47 am

Stormy Monday wrote:Must have p1ssed off Ullr last week,



Its must have been the purple hat...
The only "normal" people are the ones you don't know.
User avatar
Biff
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3398
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:22 am
Location: Maine

Re: Ahhhhh.......

Postby Stormy Monday » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:05 pm

Biff wrote:
Stormy Monday wrote:Must have p1ssed off Ullr last week,



Its must have been the purple hat...

Haha, yep, now I have a purple foot t match it!
Stormy Monday
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:12 am

Re: Ahhhhh.......

Postby Dirk » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:21 am

We got in a nice tour Saturday, just before the rain hit. We skied the full Skytop to Burt loop, eschewing the already-tracked out Steeple for the traditional full ridge tour. We broke trail most of the way, but were rewarded with first tracks in a perfect foot or so of dry powder. Here we are de-skinning and eating some god-awful snacks. Spicy Pringles con Queso? Disgusting.

Image
Dirk
 
Posts: 1353
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:50 am
Location: Orange, Vermont

Re: Ahhhhh.......

Postby Bob T » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:48 am

Nice shot, Dirk!

Sorry about the purple toe, SM. Youch.
User avatar
Bob T
 
Posts: 861
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:07 am
Location: Ammonoosuc Watershed

Re: Ahhhhh.......

Postby RobRox » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:20 pm

Dirk wrote:We got in a nice tour Saturday, just before the rain hit. We skied the full Skytop to Burt loop, eschewing the already-tracked out Steeple for the traditional full ridge tour. We broke trail most of the way, but were rewarded with first tracks in a perfect foot or so of dry powder. Here we are de-skinning and eating some god-awful snacks. Spicy Pringles con Queso? Disgusting.

Image

Totally! Anything goes on a powder-quest.
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
User avatar
RobRox
 
Posts: 1680
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:38 am
Location: following the tracks of Diogenes

Re: Ahhhhh.......

Postby Fisheater » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:58 pm

Bob T wrote:Skied Burke yesterday morning and if you skied anywhere that was untracked you ran a fair risk of encountering some not-fun-thing below the perfectness. Although there was some mighty fine perfectness.

I have to say, skiing left-served is like 10 times more dangerous than solo bc skiing the woods at night. Since there's no real reason to slow down, and the untracked is along the edges of the trails, there are lots of things whizzing by that would put some serious physics on you if they had the chance.

Lift-served observation #15: In chopped up pow, I could see skiing something that was much damper than first gen Chargers. And maybe 4 buckles too.


I hear you Bob, I was skiing in Michigan on a foot of chopped pow. I had leather boots and 3-pin cables on a Falketind 62 (62cm underfoot). I ripped the backcountry pow, but got ripped by the piste chopped pow! Well tough skiing is way more fun than going to work. It was still a fun day.
Bob W
Fisheater
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:38 pm


Return to General Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

cron