• Advertisement

Ahhhhh.......

A forum for general discussions.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk, Williamtele

Ahhhhh.......

Postby Biff » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:58 pm

Finally got out on a powder day with my new Liberty Schusters. Got first tracks at Abram on about a foot of nice powder. I tell you... there is just nothing like big fat rockered skis on a pow day. And the skis performed wonderfully...except when they hit a hidden stump. They are so fat I figured they would go over anything but...no.
The only "normal" people are the ones you don't know.
Biff
Site Admin

Re: Ahhhhh.......

Postby flyingcow » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:28 am

Biff wrote:Finally got out on a powder day with my new Liberty Schusters. Got first tracks at Abram on about a foot of nice powder. I tell you... there is just nothing like big fat rockered skis on a pow day. And the skis performed wonderfully...except when they hit a hidden stump. They are so fat I figured they would go over anything but...no.

When Ahhhhhh.... turns to AHHHHHHH!!!!
Far less perfect than Zim.
flyingcow

Postby Bob T » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:17 am

Skied Burke yesterday morning and if you skied anywhere that was untracked you ran a fair risk of encountering some not-fun-thing below the perfectness. Although there was some mighty fine perfectness.

I have to say, skiing left-served is like 10 times more dangerous than solo bc skiing the woods at night. Since there's no real reason to slow down, and the untracked is along the edges of the trails, there are lots of things whizzing by that would put some serious physics on you if they had the chance.

Lift-served observation #15: In chopped up pow, I could see skiing something that was much damper than first gen Chargers. And maybe 4 buckles too.
Bob T

Postby Dirk » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:20 am

Bob T wrote:Skied Burke yesterday morning and if you skied anywhere that was untracked you ran a fair risk of encountering some not-fun-thing below the perfectness. Although there was some mighty fine perfectness.

I have to say, skiing left-served is like 10 times more dangerous than solo bc skiing the woods at night. Since there's no real reason to slow down, and the untracked is along the edges of the trails, there are lots of things whizzing by that would put some serious physics on you if they had the chance.

Lift-served observation #15: In chopped up pow, I could see skiing something that was much damper than first gen Chargers. And maybe 4 buckles too.

Lee and I were at Mad River Glen yesterday morning. It was my first day of lift-served this year as well, and I too made some gear observations. First, my second-generation Karhu Jak (90mm waist) remains one of the all time fun skis, even though its hopelessly old school by today's standards. I hope to get another couple seasons out of them. Second, after skiing T3s all winter, the T2X with a wrap liner feels like a big stiff monster boot. I can't imagine going back to anything beefier, unless maybe I was skiing in-bounds full time.
Dirk

Postby Grant » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:59 am

Dirk wrote:Lee and I were at Mad River Glen yesterday morning. It was my first day of lift-served this year as well, and I too made some gear observations. First, my second-generation Karhu Jak (90mm waist) remains one of the all time fun skis, even though its hopelessly old school by today's standards. I hope to get another couple seasons out of them. Second, after skiing T3s all winter, the T2X with a wrap liner feels like a big stiff monster boot. I can't imagine going back to anything beefier, unless maybe I was skiing in-bounds full time.

I think the Jak was so far ahead of it's time, that it took a lot of other ski makers years to catch up. That ski just rocks.

Magic was fantastic yesterday. My Voile Vectors were just the ticket and my Gen 2 orange Freeride bindings (that have been welded in multiple places and set screws repaired by tele.skier in Seattle) held up to the abuse.
Grant

Postby Biff » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:20 pm

Bob T wrote:Skied Burke yesterday morning and if you skied anywhere that was untracked you ran a fair risk of encountering some not-fun-thing below the perfectness. Although there was some mighty fine perfectness.

I hear you. Abram had terrible coverage and then a foot of pow on top. It's hard not to ski every bit of untracked you see but sometimes you see all these little mounds and you just know there are stumps under there. But, being a fool, I still ski it.
Biff
Site Admin

Postby Stormy Monday » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:37 pm

finally get to ski Abram tomorrow on good snow, on my very fattest skis - 1st generation Super Stinx. Yeah I know, my Piste Pipes were fatter but I sold them to finance a guitar...
Stormy Monday

Postby Stormy Monday » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:40 pm

Must have p1ssed off Ullr last week, stumbled through the dark mudroom, kicked a boot the wrong way and immediately snapped my little toe. Dang! Looks like a couple weeks off, but I can still drink...
Stormy Monday

Postby telehubby » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:44 pm

I just remounted my BD Justice for NTN in time for this weeks storm. Hadn't skied them in a couple years. Ahhhhhh........
telehubby

Postby Biff » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:47 am

Stormy Monday wrote:Must have p1ssed off Ullr last week,

Its must have been the purple hat...
Biff
Site Admin

Postby Stormy Monday » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:05 pm

Biff wrote:
Stormy Monday wrote:Must have p1ssed off Ullr last week,

Its must have been the purple hat...

Haha, yep, now I have a purple foot t match it!
Stormy Monday

Postby Dirk » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:21 am

We got in a nice tour Saturday, just before the rain hit. We skied the full Skytop to Burt loop, eschewing the already-tracked out Steeple for the traditional full ridge tour. We broke trail most of the way, but were rewarded with first tracks in a perfect foot or so of dry powder. Here we are de-skinning and eating some god-awful snacks. Spicy Pringles con Queso? Disgusting.

Dirk

Postby Bob T » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:48 am

Nice shot, Dirk!

Sorry about the purple toe, SM. Youch.
Bob T

Postby RobRox » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:20 pm

Dirk wrote:We got in a nice tour Saturday, just before the rain hit. We skied the full Skytop to Burt loop, eschewing the already-tracked out Steeple for the traditional full ridge tour. We broke trail most of the way, but were rewarded with first tracks in a perfect foot or so of dry powder. Here we are de-skinning and eating some god-awful snacks. Spicy Pringles con Queso? Disgusting.

Totally! Anything goes on a powder-quest.
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
RobRox

Postby Fisheater » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:58 pm

I hear you Bob, I was skiing in Michigan on a foot of chopped pow. I had leather boots and 3-pin cables on a Falketind 62 (62cm underfoot). I ripped the backcountry pow, but got ripped by the piste chopped pow! Well tough skiing is way more fun than going to work. It was still a fun day.
Bob W
Fisheater

Return to General Topics