• Advertisement

shell sizing on Scarpas

A forum for general discussions.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk, Williamtele

shell sizing on Scarpas

Postby oldschool » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:50 am

I think Backcountry.com is running a sale on Scarpa T2 Ecos. I recall there is some info on shell sizing and I'll go looking for that in a minute. In the meantime on the chance that one of you has similar sizing to me or works as a fitter in a ski shop, here is my info -

Street shoe is 10.5 US and usually 44 Euro.

So it looks like 28.5 is the correct size for me based on this. I guess my question is how much the liners compact - there's plenty of mass to my feet, ankles and calves so I don't think there's ever a concern of running out of ability to tighten on the buckles - or probably the liner either.

Any help would be appreciated so I can take a step closer to the modern world.

Thanks -
oldschool
oldschool

Re: shell sizing on Scarpas

Postby Williamtele » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:54 am

My only input is that I went from a 28 Black Diamond Push (75mm) to a 26.5 Scarpa TX Pro (NTN). My street shoe size is somewhere between 10 and 10.5. This probably doesn't help but either BD boots run small or Scarpa boots run big.
Williamtele

Postby MikeK » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:01 am

Find the T2 runs pretty true to my foot. I'm typically a Mondo 27.5 and that's what I have. My other ski boots are 43 or 44 Euro.

The forefoot on the T2 is pretty wide and the heel is really tight. Instep seems moderate. For my foot, that's the ideal combination. I have relatively wide feet and a lot of issues with cramping if it's tight in the forefoot or instep. A tight heel doesn't bother me at all and actually helps quite a bit keeping it down without having to crank the instep strap.
MikeK

Postby Bob T » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:31 am

I use 28.5 T2's. I'm a size 11US. Agree with Mike's T2 wide toe box comment which is perfect for my foot. Going to look on backcountry.com right now! :)
Bob T

Postby Grant » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:33 am

Scarpa used to use the old UK sizing for their boots. That meant a US mens 11 was actually a UK mens 10. At that time as a US mens 11, I would by a Scarpa size 10. When they converted to mondo sizing they seemed to bring that size difference with them so that a US mens 11 is now a mondo 28 (2+8 = 10 for UK 10). I don't know if this was the decision or not but it seems to hold true. I'm a US mens 11 and am comfortable in a Scarpa 28 in both the 75mm and NTN boots.

Just another note that the Scarpa shell breaks on the 1/2 size so it's the same shell for 27.5 and 28.
Grant

Postby wallag » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:12 pm

I wore a 28.5 in Garmont/Scott boots for many years. I'm now in a 28.5 Scarpa Tx-Pro and wishing I had purchased the 28.0 (next shell size down) instead. I typically wear an 11.5 wide street shoe.
wallag

Postby oldschool » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:22 pm

So the key item I was looking for is the break on the half sizes - meaning that 27.5 and 28 are in the same shell and 28.5 and 29 together.
Seems to me that I should be in the 28 or perhaps even the 27.5.

How much do the liners pack out? I'm fine with skiing them with one pair of socks of modest thickness.

Sorry for all the questions but I'm looking to have em for the long term.
oldschool
oldschool

Postby MikeK » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:27 pm

They shouldn't pack out much as they are an intuition thermomold. That also means if they are tight, you can "pack" them out right out of the box by baking and forming them.
MikeK

Postby oldschool » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:30 pm

Put another way -
According the the Scarpa sizing chart, the 27.5 and 28 shell corresponds to 10.5 and 11 US street shoe size.
I've moved to 10.5 as my standard size for most hiking boots and shoes after choosing too tight footwear for too long 10.5 is perfect for me. 11 would feel large.
I guess where I'm headed for this is I should likely go the 27.5 and as they pack out a little I can wear a slightly thicker sock.
I think my feet are likely about Mike's size but I never get 43s these days anymore.
Prolly won't bake them to start.
oldschool
oldschool

Postby MikeK » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:35 pm

It won't matter if you get a 27.5 or 28 if they are the same shell (I can't recall for Scarpa, but I think that's right). Just change the footbed, that's the only difference. And seen as how it's a thermoform liner, there'd be no reason for Scarpa to use different ones.

It's generally good practice to toss the stock footbed with any ski boot because they usually suck, but with my T2s, it was perfect with the stock one, so I didn't touch it. If the boots were to pack out a little bit or if I was going to mold them, I'd put a custom molded footbed in there. I use one in all my other boots.

As far as my 43/44 difference. If the boot is wide enough, I will wear a 43. If it's a little narrow, I usually have to go to a 44. So as long as you have enough length in the 27.5/28, they should work. Of course that assumes a lot for your instep. If you find the Scarpa feels tight there, go to a Crispi boot. I tried both when I bought and the main difference was the Crispi had a much higher volume instep and a larger heel pocket too.
MikeK

Postby oldschool » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:12 pm

Thanks - just ordered them in both 27 and 27.5 to decide when they come.

20% off was the price - so $479. before tax.

Other goodies currently on sale there - my son needs to get some rock shoes and a harness since I seem to have gotten him into climbing now that there's a decent gym in our city (after 18 years living here).
oldschool
oldschool

Postby oldschool » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:44 pm

Just so you know - for the Ecos, I just saw that Telemarkdown has them for $450.

As a site sponsor I figured that was only fair and would have ordered from there had I figured this out first. Sorry Fey Bros.!
oldschool
oldschool

Postby ericraymond » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:50 pm

My T1 liner lasted many, many years before being packed out. Guessing 300+ days of hard service.

New Intuition Power Wrap liners made them new again.

MikeK wrote:They shouldn't pack out much as they are an intuition thermomold. That also means if they are tight, you can "pack" them out right out of the box by baking and forming them.
ericraymond

Postby ericraymond » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:54 pm

Did the Scarpa ever change the sizing of the T1's?

I have the Black with red buckles version (2000?). If a deal comes along for a size that matches them, I'd like to snag it knowing that there may not be a return....
ericraymond

Postby benny » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:55 pm

ericraymond wrote:Did the Scarpa ever change the sizing of the T1's?

I have the Black with red buckles version (2000?). If a deal comes along for a size that matches them, I'd like to snag it knowing that there may not be a return....

What size do you need?
benny

Next

Return to General Topics