• Advertisement

Finger Lakes Region XCD

A forum for general discussions.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk, Williamtele

Re: Finger Lakes Region XCD

Postby MikeK » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:29 pm

For those of you unclear where I am or what the heck the Finger Lakes Region is, I figured I'll show you... plus I'm bored and there's no snow.

Not really a great consensus on the actual boundaries, but it's something like this. There are a number of long, skinny, sometimes deep lakes which resemble fingers. It's an area of western NY that has a pretty large diversity of landscapes but generally I'd say is somewhat reminiscent of Pennsylvania once you get towards PA. Lots of shale, glacially carved hills, hardwood forests with hemlock groves surrounding waterfalls and deep gorges. It's generally flatter and more sandy/loamy towards the lake (Ontario). Our climate tends to be pretty moderate from the lake but we often get big lake effect snow events either from Lake Erie or Lake Ontario depending on the wind direction.

I like this map:

rsz_1rsz_nystate_flregion_ontario_89e359b8-4d5f-473a-bb3c-b7aa8a1989f8.jpg
rsz_1rsz_nystate_flregion_ontario_89e359b8-4d5f-473a-bb3c-b7aa8a1989f8.jpg (93.11 KiB) Viewed 251 times

It's shows the region boundaries relative to NY state boundaries as well as a few of the more popular population centers. I live on the west side of Rochester. This side of the city quickly turns from industrial mess to suburbia to farm land in about 5 miles. Suburban sprawl is much greater on the east side of the city but the east side is hillier and has a number of gorges and gullies that make for excellent MTB.

Photo from Tryon Park on the east central part of Rochester:

One of our popular parks south of the city is Mendon Ponds. It has been long known as a XC ski park (bikes are not allowed) and has a number of challenging short, but steep sections as well as grooming for skate skiing. It is known for its kettle ponds and steep eskers which make it a fun place for XCD. There are some open fields as well for diddling around:

The bike park I referenced above is in Victor (which is shown on that map). As you start to head south from the lake, the land becomes hillier. Victor is a very historic area for the Iroquois and has long been fertile farm land with small hills they could use defend their territory from invading tribes or Europeans. Dryer park is situated on such a hill and the next hill over is called Fort hill which was used as a look out by native tribes. It's an historic area now.

As you head farther south on the map you get into lake country (the actual finger lakes). At this point the hills start to get quite big, the largest having around 1200' of vertical from the valleys below. This makes it excellent land for skiing and biking.

One of the finger lakes (Honeoye) from a large ridge looking north toward the flatlands:

A typical finger lake from the shore - Canadice Lake:

Another popular area is the Bristol Hills, which are the largest of the hills in the area. Central to them is a small town called Naples, where I grew up. It's known for it's large hills, waterfalls, and vineyards:

Hemlock glens:

Large frozen falls:

The skiing is quite good down here if they get good snow. Despite the elevation, sometimes the LE events can miss this area leaving it cold and dry.
MikeK

Postby RobRox » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:21 pm

In September, quite a few years back, we did a Finger Lakes wineries tour on the way back from Alfred U. Very pleasant passtime.

We camped here and there, wandering freely. Looking at the various waterfalls left me wondering if they'd freeze up...nicely, it seems!
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
RobRox

Postby MikeK » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:36 pm

How did you like the wine?

Some people love it, others hate it. I say you have to like whites to like Finger Lakes wines.
MikeK

Postby RobRox » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:45 pm

We carried a mixed case home. Reds too. On the fun scale, not up to pradikat or controllee wines, but tasty enough.
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
RobRox

Postby North816 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:37 pm

nice tour guide! It always looks beautiful from the airplane when flying west. Looks like a great place to live. I didn't realize there some pretty big hills & mountains around the lakes, it's gorgeous.
North816

Postby MikeK » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:17 pm

Thanks North.

Yeah, the Bristol Hills are kind of a big deal (around here). This place boasts the most vert from the Adirondacks to the Rockies:

http://www.bristolmountain.com/

That used to be where I skied but in recent years I've lost a lot of interest in it. It has decent vert and pitch, but that's about it.

Here's a topo of the Naples area:

https://www.mapsofthepast.com/mm5/graph ... A0001A.jpg

So you can get an idea of the topography. It's fairly rugged. My mom still lives in a place called Ingleside on that map and that's where I grew up. I have an original paper version of that map in the picture which I keep for sentimental purposes. It's in rough shape, but it reminds me of home.
MikeK

Postby MikeK » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:34 pm

Couple more favorites of mine:

Lake Ontario:

Parish Gully:

MikeK

Postby MikeK » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:53 am

Excellent day out at Harriet Hollister yesterday. Really great mix of groomed XC and ungroomed XCD. Used some almost XC skis and they were a great compromise. Snow was heavy and wet as there was an inversion and it was really warm up high.

Started raining on the way home, which I thought would kill our snow but it was short and it started snowing again near dusk. We picked up another couple inches. Going out in a little bit to see how sticky it is. Gonna take my fats skis though.
MikeK

Postby MikeK » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:11 pm

Pretty sloppy out there. Snow is wet and slow, but at least no bottoming. The cleaning real did the trick, I can ski most any line through here.

I skied this until it was pretty tore up and hit a couple other small hills close by.

One thing is apparent though... in this snow, pitch is your friend, and I need to find more. More vert too. Gonna keep looking for some other places. This is OK if the snow is fast.
MikeK

Postby Bob T » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:54 am

Glad you got some cover to play in. :)
Bob T

Postby MikeK » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:09 am

Still warm, wet glop out there... but I'm going to keep at it anyway.

Beggars can't be choosy, eh? :mrgreen:
MikeK

Previous

Return to General Topics