• Advertisement

Bolton Backcountry Bloviating

A forum for general discussions.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk, Williamtele

Bolton Backcountry Bloviating

Postby flyingcow » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:57 pm

Finally got out to Bolton BC today. It was a good day to try out the Excursions I got last season, but didn't get to use. Upon being turned around at the lots, we went to one of the lower turnoffs for the Catamount and started climbing. Conditions were way better than expected. I only broke through at one stream crossing (and stayed dry).
Saw some paw prints that were not of the Bob T team variety.

Crahsed on some ice on a stream crossing onyl to discover I wasn't 100% in one of my bindings...

Gonna order some smile plates, but also gonna try to fix it. I think I can. Yeah... screwed up my pin holes on the first day on brand new boots. Go me!
Far less perfect than Zim.
flyingcow

Re: Bolton Backcountry Bloviating

Postby MikeK » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:38 pm

I wouldn't mess with that boot. It looks fine and there is already a metal plate in there to reinforce the pin holes. The rubber holes are just a suggested locator :wink:

Only thing you might want to do is goo up that front chunker just so the sole doesn't split there. Probably won't unless you go kicking sharp rocks, but it will make you feel better.
MikeK

Postby flyingcow » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:56 pm

MikeK wrote:I wouldn't mess with that boot. It looks fine and there is already a metal plate in there to reinforce the pin holes. The rubber holes are just a suggested locator :wink:

Only thing you might want to do is goo up that front chunker just so the sole doesn't split there. Probably won't unless you go kicking sharp rocks, but it will make you feel better.

Yeah after they dried, there's only a little mark on the center pin and the outer ones are fine. Gonna start with shoe-goo.
flyingcow

Postby MikeK » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:58 pm

Good luck - I wouldn't worry about it too much. Those boots are pretty tough. My wife has a pair and she's not so great at lining up the pins.
MikeK

Postby MikeK » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:01 pm

And if it makes you feel any better, the first time I skied pins this year I took my skis off mid-tour to remove some icing and put them back on the wrong feet.

I skied a few hundred yards and I couldn't figure out why everything felt so weird... looked down... yup. I just did that.
MikeK

Postby flyingcow » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:26 pm

MikeK wrote:And if it makes you feel any better, the first time I skied pins this year I took my skis off mid-tour to remove some icing and put them back on the wrong feet.

I skied a few hundred yards and I couldn't figure out why everything felt so weird... looked down... yup. I just did that.

yeah, it's funny... in my leather boots I can feel them set in. In the Excursions, I'm guessing.
flyingcow

Postby MikeK » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:05 pm

I can't feel anything with plastic boots. They should just call them ski condoms.
MikeK

Postby RobRox » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:49 am

MikeK wrote:I can't feel anything with plastic boots. They should just call them ski condoms.

Call me sensitive, but my T2-Econdums give great feel...
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
RobRox

Postby lowangle al » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:59 am

That's a bummer FC, I would think that is the cause of most pin hole damage. I also think they will be fine as long as in the future you make sure you are properly on the pins before you clamp the bail down.

MikeK wrote:I can't feel anything with plastic boots. They should just call them ski condoms.
It takes a while to get the "feel" in plastic boots but once you do you will become a master of your universe.
lowangle al

Postby MikeK » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:14 pm

I'm sure you're right Al, but I have so much fun with my leathers I don't have enough motivation to ski my big gear, which frankly I suck at when it comes to Tele.

When are you going to be back in PA?
MikeK

Postby lowangle al » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:20 pm

MikeK wrote:I'm sure you're right Al, but I have so much fun with my leathers I don't have enough motivation to ski my big gear, which frankly I suck at when it comes to Tele.

When are you going to be back in PA?

If I were you I would stick with what you like the most, and only switch to heavy gear when lack of snow leaves the resort as the only skiing option.

I just spent almost three months back there and had a real good time. I had my best turns ever in the Pa. bc. I may try to get back again before summer and if it's still ski season I may be up for a road trip.
lowangle al

Postby Bob T » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:48 pm

Those paw prints look feline.

Glad to see Bolton bc getting some attention here. Saw the downhill trails from the highway heading back to the eastern part of the state today (I think). Would like to explore the Bolton/Trapp zone.
Bob T

Postby djspookman » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:09 am

Those pawz are from that same variety of cat that "was definitely not around" 25 years ago.. "they" have changed their tune to "there's not a sustainable population" instead of absolute denial. I remember my biology teacher in HS telling us about the cat sign on Bolton mountain (tracks and big cat scat) Cool, and very motivating!

D
djspookman

Postby Dirk » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:18 am

Bob, someday when the snowpack's deeper I could show you some stuff back there. We could go in from the Moscow side to accommodate dogs.

I got out in the Groton State Forest Saturday. This is a flat, open summit with some nice low-angle turns. Perfect for the dust on crust we're experiencing. Two tele truisms manifested themselves on the tour. The first is that if you constantly whack dead branches out of your way with aluminum poles, one day the pole will snap. The second truism is that almost anything can be fixed with a Voile strap. My field repair (visible below the left heel throw) held for another 5k.

Dirk

Postby RobRox » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:14 pm

djspookman wrote:Those pawz are from that same variety of cat that "was definitely not around" 25 years ago.. "they" have changed their tune to "there's not a sustainable population" instead of absolute denial. I remember my biology teacher in HS telling us about the cat sign on Bolton mountain (tracks and big cat scat) Cool, and very motivating!

D

One more reason not to be the slowest on the uptrack ;)
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
RobRox

Next

Return to General Topics