• Advertisement

Telemarktips

A forum for general discussions.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk, Williamtele

Re: Telemarktips

Postby phoenix » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:47 pm

I'm surprised to hear that there are folks here who aren't too familiar with the current TelemarkTalk forum; I've found this forum and that one to be nearly identical. Lots of the same names, same format, same subjects.
Seems like when the original T-Talk/T-Tips site faded, we all scattered to various other forums. Kind of like the story of the twelve apostles of Atlantis scattering after the fall.
phoenix

Postby MikeK » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:01 pm

There's actually very little crossover, some people might be signed up at both, but users are pretty divided.

Not really sure what the difference was as Ron was on both these forums at one time, so you can't blame him. And now he's been banned from both, and the tradition remains.
MikeK

Postby greatgt » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:34 am

Jeebers I'm signed up at four sites....This one because of Biff and the good times we all (KTB) had when Telemarkeast had Telefests....Met and skied with a lot of really decent people....Over at Ttips because of the Nordic aspect they have going....Dostie's site with a Western bias and again some people who love the turn....Rons site a parody of TTips...and the forum of the banned....Some really funny topics which makes fun of all of us....All in their own way do something for Telemark which makes me come back for more! TM
greatgt

Postby Joe » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:35 am

Somebody here got banned?

Facebook gives me a headache. Whether looking at it, or thinking about it.

What are the "obvious reasons" that forums don't work? That's all i look at, whether for my car, tractor, snowmobile, whatever.

I saw that other ttips site. Peace, love, tofu, sounds ok to me...
Joe

Postby Williamtele » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:40 am

Joe wrote:Somebody here got banned?

Facebook gives me a headache. Whether looking at it, or thinking about it.

What are the "obvious reasons" that forums don't work? That's all i look at, whether for my car, tractor, snowmobile, whatever.

I saw that other ttips site. Peace, love, tofu, sounds ok to me...

Ron and another habitual irritant, Nurse Ben, kept getting into ridiculous personal battles over minutia that cast a pall over the whole forum. It made it lively but not in a good way.
Williamtele

Postby Joe » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:57 pm

Ah thanks. Nurse Ben was before my time here but i remember when he got to Mitch's site and would go on forever about minutia... and got banned there airc...

Ron, is that the kingdom guy with all the energy and crazy grammar? tele-something? I liked all that old-school backwoods stuff... too bad if that was him....
Joe

Postby MikeK » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:17 pm

Joe wrote:Ron, is that the kingdom guy with all the energy and crazy grammar? tele-something? I liked all that old-school backwoods stuff... too bad if that was him....

If you don't know who Ron is, then I'm afraid you don't know much about Tele forums.
MikeK

Postby Biff » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:34 pm

Joe wrote:Ah thanks. Nurse Ben was before my time here but i remember when he got to Mitch's site and would go on forever about minutia... and got banned there airc...

Ron, is that the kingdom guy with all the energy and crazy grammar? tele-something? I liked all that old-school backwoods stuff... too bad if that was him....

Ron was (is) at heart a very nice guy but a bit obsessive, contentious and over the top. I had no real problem with him but he really got on a lot of peoples nerves and the moderators voted to ban him. He is good friends with teleman (the kingdom tele) fellow you are thinking about and in fact posted a gazzilion photos for him on this site. Teleman is still here but now posting as greatgt. Thats not because of us but because he forgets how to get on the site and has to come on with a new name. He posts his daily/ weekly comments on the bc section and is a very integral part of this forum.

Joe wrote:What are the "obvious reasons" that forums don't work? That's all i look at, whether for my car, tractor, snowmobile, whatever.

I saw that other ttips site. Peace, love, tofu, sounds ok to me..

Like you, that's about all I visit. I do a piano forum on a regular basis and a ford 8n forum when I have problems with my tractor. I have zero interest in "look at me" sites like facebook. I think the problem these days with forums is that so many people are going to facebook and similar social media. I think that as well as the few other tele forums are what hurts the participation in this forum. Plus there are just not that many tele skiers any more. I'll add this too... No one can do a tele site like Mitch did when he was in his hey day. His reporting on all the tele news around the country, his vids and even his sponsorships were amazing. I had some problems with some of the ways he ran the site but overall... the original teletips was THE tele forum and will never be matched.
The only "normal" people are the ones you don't know.
Biff
Site Admin

Postby RobRox » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:27 am

Biff, I admire the friendly grace and justice of that explanation with only one teensy quibble:

..."look at me" sites like facebook. ....

FB is also "look at you". I submit that this is a centuries-old, social process, so well understood that, long ago, Jane Austen was so secure with its incumbence that she lampoons it in her "Pride and Predjudice":
For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbours, and laugh at them in our turn?

There may be better ways to make the case, but that one works for me. Facebook manages to give me much to kindly laugh at and I am doing my part in keeping that silliness flowing. Along the way it has reconnected me with folks I have lost touch with, even my best friend from the 9th and 10th grade.
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
RobRox

Postby Biff » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:56 pm

RobRox wrote:Biff, I admire the friendly grace and justice of that explanation with only one teensy quibble:

..."look at me" sites like facebook. ....

FB is also "look at you". I submit that this is a centuries-old, social process, so well understood that, long ago, Jane Austen was so secure with its incumbence that she lampoons it in her "Pride and Predjudice":
For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbours, and laugh at them in our turn?

There may be better ways to make the case, but that one works for me. Facebook manages to give me much to kindly laugh at and I am doing my part in keeping that silliness flowing. Along the way it has reconnected me with folks I have lost touch with, even my best friend from the 9th and 10th grade.

Sorry... couldn't help myself. :D In my oh so brief excursion into facebook my overall feeling was that there was way too much "look at me" and "stupid" to want to continue. And I too was reached by many old classmates relatives and "friends' which only reminded me why I left them in my past. And more than anything it just seems way too time consuming. But that's just me. Each to his own.
Biff
Site Admin

Postby RobRox » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:02 pm

Ten four :)
Life, it's often worth a good laugh!
RobRox

Postby Biff » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:40 pm

RobRox wrote:Ten four :)
Life, it's often worth a good laugh!

Roger that. I almost said "Each to his own said the old lady as she kissed the cow." But I knew how old that would make me sound.
Biff
Site Admin

Postby Williamtele » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:52 pm

Biff wrote: But I knew how old that would make me sound.

Hmmm, that ship might have sailed.
Williamtele

Postby Biff » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:20 pm

Williamtele wrote:
Biff wrote: But I knew how old that would make me sound.

Hmmm, that ship might have sailed.

Fortunately we have Bern and Teleman to fall back on. We may be old Bill but they are OLD! Ha!!
Biff
Site Admin

Postby RobRox » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:13 pm

Be happy, I'm nearly 67.....less than 40 days 'till dotage
RobRox

PreviousNext

Return to General Topics