Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk, Williamtele

Montañas Blancas Occidentales '17-'18

Postby Bob T » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:38 pm

7-Dec

10-Dec

14-Dec

16-Dec

17-Dec

Los amigos de la fortuna infinita have been out in the woods freezing our buttowskis off, clocking in mileage and vert, and actually getting some plush turns in!

Broken midstrap wire? CHECK! Figures that since the right one busted last year that the left one would snap on the first outing this season. Thankfully Village Ski & Sports stocks a million of them. Used RR's trick to finesse/yank on a new one. Officially stupid design. This should be an easy $15 part swap out on a $600 boot, Scarpa.

Solar-powered xmas tree in the middle of nowhere? CHECK! Unfortunately, I was sort of lost when the lights were strung and although I spent a fair amount of time skiing around in the general vicinity two nights ago, turning off my headlamp and looking around, I can't find it! Stay tuned for further developments.

Dogsh-t on skis? CHECK! Generally my dogs have good skin track etiquette. Coyotes most definitely do NOT, and love to poop in track. However, they're output is frozen solid by the time I encounter it and of no consequence. Someone, I'm guessing Cooper, violated the terms of our agreement.

Bob T

Re: Montañas Blancas Occidentales '17-'18

Postby Go Fish » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:12 pm

I miss seeing pooped out dogs in my truck....pun intended

In a different part of my life, the prevailing scent was "wet dog" and I truly do miss that time.
Go Fish

Postby Bob T » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:49 am

GF, the prevailing scent in my truck is...evil dead. Ruby's primary objective is to roll in things that are incredibly foul and then transfer as much of it as possibly into the car upholstery. She's very good at this. That said, GET ANOTHER DOG OR THREE!

Out last night in the WMNF, at the top of the climb turned toward the south and whammo. The wind felt red, it was so warm. Probably only around freezing, but after calibrating the receptors to the teens for days the thermal energy seemed alien.

This crossing got blown out by the July 1st downpour, unfortunately. Used to be able to schuss a good half mile or so downhill that's now got a mandatory snoga move in the middle of it.

A shot from Sunday.
Bob T

Postby nebcskier » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:01 pm

I have enjoyed reading your posts for years now Bob. Thanks for sharing the adventure.
nebcskier

Postby Bob T » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:18 pm

Thanks nebc. Good to know you're out there. :)
Bob T

Postby RobRox » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:17 pm

The wet styrofoam base in the zone disappeared above 2400 feet, giving way to 22 inches of consolidated pow bearing 2 inches of new fluff.

Skintrack
Beauty Shot
An easy glade
Waterfall Link drop-in, much steeper than it looks here
Bengali Junction (works out to 24 inches)
ImageImage
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
RobRox

Postby Bob T » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:51 pm

Bengali Junction. :)

That's a fine pile of snow you got going on over there, Roberto. Isn't this insane? If you were out in the snow all day today then you think this is insane.

Dogs and I stopped by Mt. Eustis for a few laps. No one there. Have never had the dogs at a "ski area". Oh man, they loved it! Wide open downhill sprint.

Bob T

Re:

Postby recedinghairline » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:06 pm

ACLU ridgerunner took those lights down, Bob
recedinghairline

Postby Bob T » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:34 am

That would be difficult, receding. There's a 6 foot barbed wire fence around that cross! For real.

7 mile tour in the way western Whites yesterday. Happy to say that except for losing a crown biting into a super gummy, nearly solid Clif Blok, touring systems were operating smoothly. No hot spots. No equipment trouble.

Bob T

Postby RobRox » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:50 pm

except for losing a crown biting into a super gummy, nearly solid Clif Blok...
Oohh! I hate when that happens

Great photos :)
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
RobRox

Postby Bob T » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:11 am

Yesterday, way Eastern Western Whites - aka Pizzabox. Forced myself to do a 1 mile tour to check out trail conditions and get a general sense of the zone. Filling in nicely.

Pretty darn cold for 3pm.

Polar pup.

Frigid haze.

The headwaters.
Bob T

Postby North816 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:50 pm

nice photos Bob! jeebus, tell me you didn't try to ski that Mt. E. central couloir! Is that what's in the photo or am I confused? looks like it needs another 5 feet of snow. I need to get up there and retrieve my boots from Mr. Limmer in the next couple weeks.
North816

Postby Bob T » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:00 pm

Jeebus is right! Skiing that would have meant being above treeline yesterday. Not advised. A few more feet of snow and a weather window required.
Bob T

Postby telehubby » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:27 pm

Keep the TRs coming Bob, I love them. I was out yesterday around dusk with my pup. Just as the wind started kicking up. If I can ever figure out how to post photos without the help of photobucket I'll do it.
telehubby

Postby Bob T » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:13 pm

TH, you could post your photos to imgur.com for free and then right click, copy the link, and then bookend the link with [img]<link>[/img] in a post here. Just tried that and it worked.

Been battling the H2N3 blues since just after Christmas. Which, if it had to happen, coincided with frigid temps so it was slightly less aggravating to be stuck inside. Thus, not many pics recently.

Went to put on my boots the other day and the left liner had shrunk! Turns out there as half a cup of rice in the toe box! Setup a motion detecting camera in the basement and caught this guy in the act.

Mounted up yesterday to start working towards getting my pre-flu legs back.

The fluffy has been transmorgified into solid base pavement except that the watercourses are now open.

Nothing like a good ol' stump to chew on.

The audio for this pic is "RUBY YOU BETTER GO GO GO!". The snow was pretty fast and she loves to be out in front.

Bob T

Next

Return to General Topics