• Advertisement

Montañas Blancas Occidentales '17-'18

A forum for general discussions.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk, Williamtele

Re: Montañas Blancas Occidentales '17-'18

Postby MikeK » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:20 pm

Oldschool, if you want a pair of those USGI skis, I'll give you a pair. I have a pair unmounted you can have for the cost of driving out here to get them. I'm in Rochester. I have 3 baby boys, so I don't have time to deliver them. I could ship them, but I don't think it's worth it unless you really want me to.

I have a spare pair of mountaineers sitting around if you need bindings. I'd like $25 for those. You can PM me if you are interested.

The unmounted pair on the right. The mark is balance. They come with those holes, but I plugged them. And they are 200cm and pretty damn stiff.
MikeK

Postby RobRox » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:05 pm

Cannon upper mountain lifts not running today, but Super Bowl Sunday 2-fer is a tradition. Skied from 8:40 to Noon. Home and ready to watch some Bread and Circus.
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
RobRox

Postby telehubby » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:34 pm

A little post Super Bowl solace for a Monday morning. A couple of fresh tracks on Polly's Folly before work.
telehubby

Postby RobRox » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:46 pm

That looks great!
RobRox

Postby RobRox » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:30 pm

Thursday, the Zone, no, not the Blog-free zone; somewhat West of there. Trailhead, 8:30. Beacons etc.. If you are joining in, PM for the details
RobRox

Postby Bob T » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:43 pm

Polly's Pancakes looks super juicy!

Roberto, I was wondering if you had sworn off skiing or something. Sabbatical? Glad you're back at it.

Sunday.

Last night. Not made by domestic animals. The stride length of the big ones made me think, not coyote, but it's got to be. Tiny shadow prints are a fox?

This evening. Got to the trail just after the groomer had been through and before the snow machines had messed it up. Hauled bootee through the headlamped woods. XCD Bliss!
Bob T

Postby RobRox » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:59 pm

A combination of circumstances: A speed bump in the funds area; My Dad died; I got sick.

Dealing with all three was a challenge. Funds are moving, with the help of a favorite cousin there will be a a nice service for my dad and health is back on track.

Will be going into the zone on Saturday too.
RobRox

Postby Bob T » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:13 am

RR, very sorry to hear about all that. Condolences. Glad you’ve got some post storm elixir planned.
Bob T

Postby MikeK » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:53 am

Sorry for your loss Rob, take care.
MikeK

Postby oldschool » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:43 pm

Mike - thanks for the offer but I think 200 is likely a little short for how fat I am - if I can get my crap together and focus on it I think I may move from my current post holiday weight of 235-240 down to 200. That's the goal. Went on a diet two years ago and got to the 225-230 range pretty readily. Finally my kids are out the door and maybe I can do better. At around 5 foot 9.5 inches I wind up on 210s a lot and they feel better than 205s for me. It's nice to see the little kiddo skis in the picture too. Was nice to see your post of skiing close to your place - my local is a damn golf course or small city park, which is the price I guess I pay for living in the city and within walking distance to work.

Rob - sorry to hear about your dad - lost my grandmother this morning but that was a long time coming and no surprise at all. I've not had to navigate losing a parent yet.

Very nice that we are getting some good snow these days for a change -
oldschool
oldschool

Postby MikeK » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:57 pm

oldschool wrote:Mike - thanks for the offer but I think 200 is likely a little short for how fat I am - if I can get my crap together and focus on it I think I may move from my current post holiday weight of 235-240 down to 200. That's the goal. Went on a diet two years ago and got to the 225-230 range pretty readily. Finally my kids are out the door and maybe I can do better. At around 5 foot 9.5 inches I wind up on 210s a lot and they feel better than 205s for me. It's nice to see the little kiddo skis in the picture too. Was nice to see your post of skiing close to your place - my local is a damn golf course or small city park, which is the price I guess I pay for living in the city and within walking distance to work.

Close for me is like 10-15 min. I live in the city too. We have a lot more parks and trail networks in Rochester though, mainly because biking is so popular here. Most of the best stuff is an hour south of me, and if I lived in Syracuse, I know a lot of good stuff an hour south of there, or an hour northeast.

Not sure what you are looking for in a ski, but these skis glide well enough in a 200cm with me and I'm anywhere between 200 to 220 depending on time of year and how much I can exercise. They aren't great my favorite skis, but for skiing at a golf course, they are fine. And it's hard to beat free! I have a number of other skis that I'll grab before these though.
MikeK

Postby MikeK » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:04 pm

PS Oldschool, feel free to post some stuff on that Finger Lakes thread, especially if you make it down south of home. Lots of stuff there I'd like to ski, but more than an hour drive is tough for me right now.
MikeK

Postby RobRox » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:33 pm

Woah, the greatest generation passing away. Best wishes oldschool.
RobRox

Postby Bob T » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:13 pm

Got out of the car at the TH this evening, stepped into a foot of powder, and gave a solid Keanu "whoa".

Reference spot.

Top of climb snack fest.

Zoom.

#bridgedog
Bob T

Postby RobRox » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:28 am

22" in one spot, 18"-20" above 2500'. Solo skinning was so hard I bailed at 3150". GF is so deep, group work is required.

The pow was dry-cream so lots of schuss with minimal turning.

Special note: Serious "whumping" above 2500' on the NNW and N aspects . Loud and frequently running noises. Makes me doubt the stability of the Waterfall run
RobRox

PreviousNext

Return to General Topics