• Advertisement

Good area For XCD?

A forum for general discussions.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk, Williamtele

Good area For XCD?

Postby Bern » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:41 am

I'm pretty certain my downhill ski days are over. XCD type skiing is still on the table except it is too flat here for the D part of that type of skiing. I seem to remember some of the Boston people would head out to MIddlesex Fells for rolling terrain. Is my suspect memory right or is there some other location within, say 50 miles of Bristol, Rhode Island for that?
Life is complex - it has real and imaginary parts

You can observe a lot by looking. Yogi Berra
Bern

Re: Good area For XCD?

Postby RobRox » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:50 pm

Back in the '80s I used to get down to Myles Standish for MTB and a road race series. A few bumps there.
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
RobRox

Postby stoneman » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:33 am

I think you'd be better off heading towards central Mass. Leominster state forest & environs north of Worcester - ok not exactly central more like east central. Probably about the same distance as the fens and more likely to have snow.. and a lot more territory to explore... also muskrats instead of..real rats
stoneman

Postby Bern » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:44 pm

Thanks all. I think I should also check out all state parks within a given radius. Leominster is a good bet. The bike club here has a ride that includes a section through Miles Standish I've not ridden but I'll take a look at maps of same.

Bern

Postby North816 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:58 pm

Myles Standish was one of my favorite places to ski when I lived just south of Boston. It can get absolutely buried when the nor-easters just graze New England to the south. Sometimes they get a foot or two when Boston gets 6 inches. I can't remember any hills, more like straight-up XC skiing, but very scenic with a good trail system. I vaguely remember a power line cut with some small hills on it.

I've been hiking at a couple of the state parks in RI, seems like they would be good for skiing too, can't remember the names.
North816

Postby Go Fish » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:55 pm

Bern-

There is a lot of great information about places all over New England that have some of the D in XCD. Check out this website: http://www.nelsap.org/

Many of the "Lost ski areas" have been converted to public access. You should be able to find a few promising places to try out.
Go Fish

Postby Bern » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:40 am

I had forgotten all about NELSAPs. That is a great tip. I've been to Freetown State Forest in nearby Mass. They have miles and miles of forest service roads and the area is large enough to feel remote, (8000 acres). No hills though, so just kick and glide but it is a fine outing for an area this is heavily populated.

I've also been on a few shortish hikes in RI state parks with the AMC RI Chapte. I'd forgotten about these also. Another good tip. Ask and yo shall recieve. Thanks all.

Bern

Return to General Topics