• Advertisement

Winter Pictures

A forum for general discussions.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk, Williamtele

Re: Winter Pictures

Postby North816 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:08 am

Presidentials seem to be in the cross-hairs of the jet stream this year, could we actually get a decent season?? Gray Knob up to 40 inches this morning, looking at the next 10 days that number is only going to increase:

http://www.randolphmountainclub.org/she ... tions.html

re: Hellbrook - not only aging but Stowe's lift ticket prices are inhibiting too! Maybe the new owners could be persuaded to sell single-ride tix again like Jay Peak does.
North816

Postby Dirk » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:45 pm

Back in the 90's you could buy a single ride at Stowe and ski the Bruce, Teardrop or Hell Brook for ten bucks or whatever. Doubt those days will ever return. However, now that Stowe is owned by Vail, a season pass (Epic Pass) is actually affordable. I may just spring for one next season.
Dirk

Postby North816 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:39 pm

...and for a while you could lie to them and say you were going up to the restaurant. Then they tightened up at some point.

Single-ride tickets are also good for people with medical problems and/or disabilities that can't ski more than a few runs or even one.
North816

Postby Dirk » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:48 pm

North816 wrote:...and for a while you could lie to them and say you were going up to the restaurant. Then they tightened up at some point.

It's funny how everyone (me included) has a story about how we manipulated Stowe single-ride tickets to get more skiing than we were actually entitled to. And yet, we all wonder why they discontinued it. That's just human nature.

Bolton Valley actually does a robust single ride ticket trade, because a lot of people skin out the Woodward Mountain trail a half mile or so to lap the north-facing glades. $20.00 may seem a little steep, but it's worth it on a powder day.
Dirk

Postby Dirk » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:27 pm

Merry Christmas, kid. My unofficial grandson, all kitted out for the first grade after-school ski program. I hope he takes to it.

Dirk

Postby RobRox » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:55 pm

Dirk wrote:Merry Christmas, kid. My unofficial grandson, all kitted out for the first grade after-school ski program. I hope he takes to it.
Looks like a given.....
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
RobRox

Postby benny » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:54 pm

RobRox wrote:
Dirk wrote:Merry Christmas, kid. My unofficial grandson, all kitted out for the first grade after-school ski program. I hope he takes to it.
Looks like a given.....

Outstanding!
benny

Postby Bob T » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:56 am

Great photo! :D
Bob T

Postby North816 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:12 pm

Dirk wrote:It's funny how everyone (me included) has a story about how we manipulated Stowe single-ride tickets to get more skiing than we were actually entitled to. Any yet, we all wonder why they discontinued it. That's just human nature..

no manipulation! :lol: we paid the $15 or $20 and skied one run, seemed like a win-win for everyone. I think the last year I did it they were only selling single-ride tix up the quad, which was actually cool because the hike to Hellbrook then inlucluded a winter traverse-ridge hike along the summit. Good to know about Bolton, there or Jay would be a great place for a lift-assisted tour. I'm pretty sure Cannon sells one-ride tram tickets too. also Wildcat.
North816

Postby RobRox » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:30 pm

Quick hit an hour from the house. Nabbed three runs for a little over 1800 feet of EYT vert. The first two were scratchless but the third made up for it

1)TriskaForTopia - the thirteen turns section was okay but the low end of the steep section was blocked by fallen trees.
Ripped turns in the dust on breakable crust. TFT has few rocks, missed them all

2)This one swings like Bob Wills band. Looks like I nabbed the first full length run this season.
The orange sign asks that folks uptrack to the left, next to the stone wall. Not my sign but it's a real good plan; Powder Preservation Society approved

3) no pix, too busy fending off rock sharks!
RobRox

Postby wallag » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:28 am

North816 wrote:I'm pretty sure Cannon sells one-ride tram tickets too. also Wildcat.

Cannon sells round trip sightseeing tickets on the tram, but they won't let you on with skis unless you have a regular ticket. I've tried and been denied. I think it's because they don't check for tickets on the summit quad.

Wildcat does single rides in the off season, but nothing is advertised on the website for the winter season. Probably worth calling ahead.
wallag

Postby North816 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:12 pm

that's too bad about Cannon. I think Wildcat offers a single-ride ticket for people to do the backcountry trail that goes down into the Jackson Touring center, but it's expensive, maybe $28, something like that. And then you're supposed to pay the touring center for a trail pass, so you're up to $45, which prices it out of reach of most people. Just not feeling the open European vibe in the northeast I guess! I would like to more options for lift-served BC. It's a shame that Stowe & Smuggs can't work something out for lift-sharing.
North816

Postby greatgt » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:27 am

Single lift ticket at Stowe was 9 bucks and did we ever take advantage of that....Take a ride on the front side then do the Bruce...Loved that trail! Only did it with a ton of fresh powder and did that ever get the jets going...Or up to the Chin and Purgatory? and Hell's Brooke....and even over the other side down to somewhere below Smuggs....Also used to ski the hardwoods by taft which saw almost NO traffic back them...Lots of fun then it was gone and we sure didn't have the money for a day ticket or any kind of pass, so now it's usually ski up or hike and down when it's closed...TM
greatgt

Postby Biff » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:52 am

Out of curiosity... what's a lift ticket going for at Stowe these days? I'm amazed how much tickets have gone to. Its hard to see how a new family with middle-class incomes can afford to ski
The only "normal" people are the ones you don't know.
Biff
Site Admin

Postby RobRox » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:52 am

Cheapest Stowe online tickets are $94 daily, I don't know the walk up price.
At this time, Stowe tickets are not available on Liftopia.

Magic is quite reasonable at $69 for a walk up, $56.99 online, same at Liftopia.
Cannon is getting up in price,tickets are $77 daily
At this time, Cannon tickets are not available on Liftopia.
2-fer Thursdays are a big savings

Families can be found in huge numbers at Pat's Peak...and it's a great little hill. Good steepness and Henniker brew on tap in the pub.
RobRox

PreviousNext

Return to General Topics