Page 1 of 1

Larger feet on a Tele setup. Do I need to move the bindings?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:48 pm
by describingthesky
Lurker here, this is my first post. Have a quick question.

Just picked up my first resort tele setup at a ski-swap. It has bindings already mounted, but my boots are about 1-1.5" longer than those of the original owner and my heel doesn't fall perfectly on the heel piece. Can I just move the heel piece back? Or does the whole binding need to be moved forward as well? I am just looking to learn on these and am not looking for perfection. If I'm just moving the heel piece I'd be comfortable doing that myself, but I the whole binding needs to be moved I'd take it to a shop.

Pic of the ski with my boot: https://i.imgur.com/MNpgkNO.jpg

Thanks

Re: Larger feet on a Tele setup. Do I need to move the bindi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:54 am
by RobRox
If there is a boot-center mark on the boots line it up with the boot-center mark on the ski. Let that be your guide. (Not sure if those boots have centermarks)

Absent centermarks, I'd move the toe forward 1.5cm or 1.75cm and move the heelpieces the rest of the difference to match your boot heel. Centering your weight/forces on the skis makes turning easier. No doubt there will be other opinions to follow, I will be just as interested because there are some mighty smart folks here.

BTW, those boots will be overwhelmed by those skis once you get them on steeper terrain or wet powder. They will be fine for getting started but those boots are best used for backcountry tours on lighter skis. As you progress you will learn the whys and whats.

Re: Larger feet on a Tele setup. Do I need to move the bindi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:27 am
by Go Fish
I'm almost exclusively a resort tele skier (I'll get back into the woods when my kid is older :wink: ) All of my resort set-ups follow the previous suggestion. Boot center on ski center is the way to go for sliding at the resort.

Re: Larger feet on a Tele setup. Do I need to move the bindi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:28 am
by stoneman
I'd ski them first, before doing anything.

Re: Larger feet on a Tele setup. Do I need to move the bindi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:12 am
by Biff
stoneman wrote:I'd ski them first, before doing anything.


I agree. An inch at this point is not much of a big deal. Ski em, take a lesson... go from there.

Re: Larger feet on a Tele setup. Do I need to move the bindi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:08 am
by Dirk
Oh golly, just move the heel piece back. Don't overthink it. Skiing those Tele-Daddys with G3 Targas and a two buckle boot is a hell of a way to learn to tele, though. If you make it through the first day, and still like it, you'll probably decide you want a more modern setup.

Re: Larger feet on a Tele setup. Do I need to move the bindi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:21 am
by describingthesky
RobRox wrote:If there is a boot-center mark on the boots line it up with the boot-center mark on the ski. Let that be your guide. (Not sure if those boots have centermarks)

Absent centermarks, I'd move the toe forward 1.5cm or 1.75cm and move the heelpieces the rest of the difference to match your boot heel. Centering your weight/forces on the skis makes turning easier. No doubt there will be other opinions to follow, I will be just as interested because there are some mighty smart folks here.


I don't think the boots have center marks, but I'll check again later. The apparent center of the boot is well rearward of the ski centermark.

RobRox wrote:BTW, those boots will be overwhelmed by those skis once you get them on steeper terrain or wet powder. They will be fine for getting started but those boots are best used for backcountry tours on lighter skis. As you progress you will learn the whys and whats.


Thanks for the advice. The boot's are primarily for some Madshus Annum's that I have, and I think they'll be perfect for that application. I picked up these Atomics for some downhill practice and see how much I click with telemarking. I know they're pretty big skis, but the price was right. I hope they can work for my purposes.

Biff wrote:
stoneman wrote:I'd ski them first, before doing anything.


I agree. An inch at this point is not much of a big deal. Ski em, take a lesson... go from there.


I'll probably go with this plan

Re: Larger feet on a Tele setup. Do I need to move the bindi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:34 am
by describingthesky
Dirk wrote:Oh golly, just move the heel piece back. Don't overthink it. Skiing those Tele-Daddys with G3 Targas and a two buckle boot is a hell of a way to learn to tele, though. If you make it through the first day, and still like it, you'll probably decide you want a more modern setup.


Lol. If I have a fun time on these I'll definitely look into a NTN setup in the future.
The 2 buckle boots are mainly for some Madshus Annums.

Re: Larger feet on a Tele setup. Do I need to move the bindi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:59 pm
by stoneman
You can probably pick up a pair of appropriately beefy boots on ebay for pretty cheap.... might be worth a look.