• Advertisement

Larger feet on a Tele setup. Do I need to move the bindings?

A forum for general discussions.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk, Williamtele

Larger feet on a Tele setup. Do I need to move the bindings?

Postby describingthesky » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:48 pm

Lurker here, this is my first post. Have a quick question.

Just picked up my first resort tele setup at a ski-swap. It has bindings already mounted, but my boots are about 1-1.5" longer than those of the original owner and my heel doesn't fall perfectly on the heel piece. Can I just move the heel piece back? Or does the whole binding need to be moved forward as well? I am just looking to learn on these and am not looking for perfection. If I'm just moving the heel piece I'd be comfortable doing that myself, but I the whole binding needs to be moved I'd take it to a shop.

Pic of the ski with my boot: https://i.imgur.com/MNpgkNO.jpg

Thanks
describingthesky

Re: Larger feet on a Tele setup. Do I need to move the bindi

Postby RobRox » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:54 am

If there is a boot-center mark on the boots line it up with the boot-center mark on the ski. Let that be your guide. (Not sure if those boots have centermarks)

Absent centermarks, I'd move the toe forward 1.5cm or 1.75cm and move the heelpieces the rest of the difference to match your boot heel. Centering your weight/forces on the skis makes turning easier. No doubt there will be other opinions to follow, I will be just as interested because there are some mighty smart folks here.

BTW, those boots will be overwhelmed by those skis once you get them on steeper terrain or wet powder. They will be fine for getting started but those boots are best used for backcountry tours on lighter skis. As you progress you will learn the whys and whats.
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
RobRox

Postby Go Fish » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:27 am

I'm almost exclusively a resort tele skier (I'll get back into the woods when my kid is older :wink: ) All of my resort set-ups follow the previous suggestion. Boot center on ski center is the way to go for sliding at the resort.
Go Fish

Postby stoneman » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:28 am

I'd ski them first, before doing anything.
stoneman

Postby Biff » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:12 am

stoneman wrote:I'd ski them first, before doing anything.

I agree. An inch at this point is not much of a big deal. Ski em, take a lesson... go from there.
The only "normal" people are the ones you don't know.
Biff
Site Admin

Postby Dirk » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:08 am

Oh golly, just move the heel piece back. Don't overthink it. Skiing those Tele-Daddys with G3 Targas and a two buckle boot is a hell of a way to learn to tele, though. If you make it through the first day, and still like it, you'll probably decide you want a more modern setup.
Dirk

Postby describingthesky » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:21 am

RobRox wrote:If there is a boot-center mark on the boots line it up with the boot-center mark on the ski. Let that be your guide. (Not sure if those boots have centermarks)

Absent centermarks, I'd move the toe forward 1.5cm or 1.75cm and move the heelpieces the rest of the difference to match your boot heel. Centering your weight/forces on the skis makes turning easier. No doubt there will be other opinions to follow, I will be just as interested because there are some mighty smart folks here.

I don't think the boots have center marks, but I'll check again later. The apparent center of the boot is well rearward of the ski centermark.

RobRox wrote:BTW, those boots will be overwhelmed by those skis once you get them on steeper terrain or wet powder. They will be fine for getting started but those boots are best used for backcountry tours on lighter skis. As you progress you will learn the whys and whats.

Thanks for the advice. The boot's are primarily for some Madshus Annum's that I have, and I think they'll be perfect for that application. I picked up these Atomics for some downhill practice and see how much I click with telemarking. I know they're pretty big skis, but the price was right. I hope they can work for my purposes.

Biff wrote:
stoneman wrote:I'd ski them first, before doing anything.

I agree. An inch at this point is not much of a big deal. Ski em, take a lesson... go from there.

I'll probably go with this plan
describingthesky

Postby describingthesky » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:34 am

Dirk wrote:Oh golly, just move the heel piece back. Don't overthink it. Skiing those Tele-Daddys with G3 Targas and a two buckle boot is a hell of a way to learn to tele, though. If you make it through the first day, and still like it, you'll probably decide you want a more modern setup.

Lol. If I have a fun time on these I'll definitely look into a NTN setup in the future.
The 2 buckle boots are mainly for some Madshus Annums.
describingthesky

Postby stoneman » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:59 pm

You can probably pick up a pair of appropriately beefy boots on ebay for pretty cheap.... might be worth a look.
stoneman

Return to General Topics