• Advertisement

ski length?

A forum for general discussions.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk, Williamtele

ski length?

Postby Biff » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:09 pm

So I'm going to grab a pair of Liberty Origin 116's and just can't decide on the length. 145/116/136, fully rockered and come in 182 or 190. I just don't want to go too short but 190 seems pretty friggin long.... I'm 6'2 and 195lbs. Any thoughts??
The only "normal" people are the ones you don't know.
Biff
Site Admin

Re: ski length?

Postby RobRox » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:28 pm

Either should work for you. There is one thing the started cropping up as I have started with slightly longer skis....some adjustment may be needed

During the past season I noticed occasional inside-ski tail bangs when finishing turns in tight trees and in tight chutes with my 180CM Converts. This after getting used to several seasons on 176 Pro-Riders. The pronounced Early-Rise (tip & tail) has me skiing the shortened camber section with the tips and tails sticking out

I have been focussing on shortening the spread and have successfully reduced the problem....so long as it isn't really steep. By the Spring, the tighter side of Double Barrel showed me that I have started resolving the issue even on the steeper stuff.
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
RobRox

Postby Biff » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:03 pm

I hear you. But for me its not a question of if I can ski them or not...I'm pretty good at adapting to what ever ski I'm on. I like short for maneuverability but I have found with rockered powder skis that if I go too short I end up on deep powder days with a diving tip. With the long skis the float is great but I deal with additional weight and a longer turn radius. I kind of feel with these skis a 186cm would be perfect but... they don't make it. Thus... the dilemma.
Biff
Site Admin

Postby edgeworker » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:12 pm

Superchargers come in a 185..........just saying
Hit it like you`ve got a pair!
edgeworker

Postby RobRox » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:09 pm

edgeworker wrote:Superchargers come in a 185..........just saying

+1
Seriously
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
RobRox

Postby Williamtele » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:53 pm

Where are you going to be skiing and when do we leave?

And inquiring minds want to know if you're flipping to NTN. It's just a matter of time, you know.

Outlaws(cough,cough)Outlaws(cough,cough)Outlaws(cough,cough)
Williamtele

Postby Biff » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:25 pm

Williamtele wrote:Where are you going to be skiing and when do we leave?

And inquiring minds want to know if you're flipping to NTN. It's just a matter of time, you know.

Outlaws(cough,cough)Outlaws(cough,cough)Outlaws(cough,cough)

Bill, don't hold your breath.
Biff
Site Admin

Postby Biff » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:30 pm

Yea..they would be great...but.... I get my skis as part of a deal and they don't carry
voile.

So..... back to Liberty (which are awesome skis by the way).
Biff
Site Admin

Postby benny » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:46 pm

I think it comes down to where your skiing.

Even with full rocker front and back, a 190 with those dimensions is a lot of ski. If you have room to work they're probably awesome, otherwise I'd definitely go 182. I'm 6' , 193 lbs.

I ski Liberty Sequence, 175 ( I think) . Great skis for small hills, tight spaces. A 185 would be awesome elsewhere .
benny

Postby edgeworker » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:51 am

Biff wrote:

Yea..they would be great...but.... I get my skis as part of a deal and they don't carry
voile.

So..... back to Liberty (which are awesome skis by the way).

I've lost track of the number of people I know who don't ski the skis they had to buy just because they saved a couple of bucks. Most got a deal on a size that was too long.
My motto is that I'll spend twice the $$ for half the aggravation. I don't fit the mold of the typical tele skier. But I don't have any aggravation either :D
edgeworker

Postby Biff » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:11 am

benny wrote:I think it comes down to where your skiing.

Even with full rocker front and back, a 190 with those dimensions is a lot of ski. If you have room to work they're probably awesome, otherwise I'd definitely go 182. I'm 6' , 193 lbs.

I ski Liberty Sequence, 175 ( I think) . Great skis for small hills, tight spaces. A 185 would be awesome elsewhere .

Yea, I'm kind of thinking that too. I remember when BD came out with their monster rockered skis (forget the name) i bought the 190's and felt like a big clown skiing them. They were awesome at Jay in the deep but as soon as the best snow was gone I was like a fish out of water.
Biff
Site Admin

Postby Biff » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:13 am

edgeworker wrote:
I've lost track of the number of people I know who don't ski the skis they had to buy just because they saved a couple of bucks. Most got a deal on a size that was too long.
My motto is that I'll spend twice the $$ for half the aggravation. I don't fit the mold of the typical tele skier. But I don't have any aggravation either :D

It's not "a couple of bucks"…. its the difference between "free" and $700 I don't have.
Biff
Site Admin

Postby Telemanarcer » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:30 am

For the ski area Biffer-man....go shorter....For the BC go longer....TM
Telemanarcer

Postby edgeworker » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:17 am

Biff wrote:
edgeworker wrote:

It's not "a couple of bucks"…. its the difference between "free" and $700 I don't have.

FREE? gosh get both then
edgeworker

Postby Biff » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:34 am

edgeworker wrote:
Biff wrote:
edgeworker wrote:

FREE? gosh get both then

Ha….. I only get one pair. This is about the only "perk" I get from hosting this site. (Not that sharing all of your company isn't worth every cent…. :) )
Biff
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Topics