• Advertisement

T2 Eco with Axl

A forum for general discussions.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk, Williamtele

T2 Eco with Axl

Postby benny » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:56 am

A friend of mine recently picked up new T2 Eco's and is trying to decide on a new binding. He's coming from 2 buckle t2's and, I think, some Rottefella without a climbing mode, not sure which. This is likely to be a do-it-all set up, for both on piste and touring.

The Axl seems to make a lot of sense. However, he was advised by someone that it was best when used with a 4 buckle boot and might not be compatible with a 3 buckle T2 Eco.

This doesn't sound right to me but I have no direct experience with the Axl.

Any thoughts?
benny

Re: T2 Eco with Axl

Postby Williamtele » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:26 am

Not sure why they wouldn't be "compatible." They'll certainly fit into the bindings so maybe the feeling was that the bindings are too active for a 3 buckle boot. Personally, I think that's hooey. Axls are the best non-NTN binding out there (my 22 Designs bias notwithstanding) so I don't buy the not compatible argument.
Williamtele

Postby RobRox » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:21 am

I agree, hooey!
With modern skis there is no reason on earth not to use touring bindings...well, maybe if the skis are made for gate racing on the blue stuff then touring bindings wouldn't be sensible.
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
RobRox

Postby flyingcow » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:30 pm

A T2 Eco with Axls is a touring beast! I know quite a few people set up like that. They usually don't use the most active settings on the Axl, but hell... That's why there's multiple settings.

I'll second that they are probably the best non-NTN binding out there.
Far less perfect than Zim.
flyingcow

Postby capecodtele » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:43 am

I agree as well. I ran the old red T2 with hammerheads on setting 4 or 5 and felt I had plenty of control....I think the stiffness of the binding makes up for the flex of the boot to provide more control with out the need for the big three and four buckle boots. I just switched to NTN and via Telemarkdown went with the lightweight Crispi Touring boots with the Outlaw binding, which is kind of an equivalent comparison.
capecodtele

Postby Marteenski » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:09 am

I have been skiing on the Eco-Axl combo for a number of years and it works great except under the firmest, ie., boilerplate, conditions. . In that case I set the binding in position #3 and the stiffer, more active sole flex overwhelmed the softer flex of the boot upper. I swapped the liner for my old, molded T-Race liners and....call it the T2 Turbo....the added support balanced the load so to speak. I have a short wheelbase and modulate my turns with my ankles so the set-up works well and makes me the best...skier...on...the...mountain.
Marteenski

Postby edgeworker » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:37 am

50 GNAR points right there
Hit it like you`ve got a pair!
edgeworker

Return to General Topics