• Advertisement

Climbing Skins

A forum for general discussions.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk, Williamtele

Climbing Skins

Postby Dirk » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:23 am

Over the past five years or so, there's been lots of talk about alternatives to traditional climbing skins - Geckos, Fischer Profoil and Volkl BMT come to mind. Backcountry ran an article a couple of years back looking at at least five different alternatives to the glue-and-nylon/mohair plush we all know from the Pomoca/Colltex days. Yet BD and G3 continue to dominate the market, and line the shelves at the local retailer. Does anyone have any real-world experience with alternative skins? I have a closet full of various BD Ascension skins that continue to do the job, year in and year out, but it would be nice if there were a reliable alternative that didn't leave glue residue on bases and require occasional re-gluing.
Dirk

Re: Climbing Skins

Postby oldschool » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:23 pm

Sorry but I've literally got nothing for you here other than be f'n glad you don't live here -

I own a pair of skins - bought for and used on a trip among yurts in Colorado (NeverSummerNordic - pretty nice if they are still in business). That was 20 years ago.
Not really many places to use them locally for me and I don't get to Daks enough for backcountry to put them to use. Maybe soon.

Local shop?? - We have zero here - actually less now since two local EMS stores closed.

Hope this makes you feel better - sorry no info for original post though.

Ok, one tip - Continental Great Divide Candemonium 12 pack - it's ok - Collete Farmhouse is pretty nice actually.

Good luck -
oldschool
oldschool

Postby Biff » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:36 pm

Dirk, I have a pair of Chounard snake skins you can have.... :)
The only "normal" people are the ones you don't know.
Biff
Site Admin

Postby Dirk » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:56 am

Gee, thanks Biff.

You know, you really ought to clean out that barn of yours. Either that, or open the Maine Museum of Telemark Failure.
Dirk

Postby flyingcow » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:07 pm

Biff wrote:Dirk, I have a pair of Chounard snake skins you can have.... :)

I tried snake skins... once...
Far less perfect than Zim.
flyingcow

Postby Biff » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:15 am

Come on... They are CLASSICS!! Probably worth tons of money on the collectors circuit.
The only "normal" people are the ones you don't know.
Biff
Site Admin

Postby Williamtele » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:56 pm

Dirk wrote:Over the past five years or so, there's been lots of talk about alternatives to traditional climbing skins - Geckos, Fischer Profoil and Volkl BMT come to mind. Backcountry ran an article a couple of years back looking at at least five different alternatives to the glue-and-nylon/mohair plush we all know from the Pomoca/Colltex days. Yet BD and G3 continue to dominate the market, and line the shelves at the local retailer. Does anyone have any real-world experience with alternative skins? I have a closet full of various BD Ascension skins that continue to do the job, year in and year out, but it would be nice if there were a reliable alternative that didn't leave glue residue on bases and require occasional re-gluing.

You can't beat seal skins.
Williamtele

Postby Telemanarcer » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:14 am

Biff you the man....Only skins any of the KTB ever used like once then they kinda self destructed....No glue no nothing and about as useful as nothing...Hold on to them...must be worth $....TM
Telemanarcer

Postby North816 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:42 pm

It's too bad about Gecco, I was hoping to try some, I think the owner died in an avalanche snowboarding in Colorado and no one picked up where he left off.

You could try making your own skins and maybe find a better product, maybe you'd like Colltex better than BD.

https://skimo.co/colltex-race-skins
North816

Postby Dirk » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:30 am

North816 wrote:It's too bad about Gecco, I was hoping to try some, I think the owner died in an avalanche snowboarding in Colorado and no one picked up where he left off.

You could try making your own skins and maybe find a better product, maybe you'd like Colltex better than BD.

https://skimo.co/colltex-race-skins

Bummer, I was wondering what happened to Gecco skins.
Dirk

Return to General Topics