• Advertisement

Cycling

A forum for general discussions.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk, Williamtele

Cycling

Postby benny » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:04 pm

Robrox's training posts motivated me to post some cycling stuff.

Friday evening in Vt.

I figured that after riding Metro North for 9 hours this week between my desk and my fridge that I ought to get some exercise. Having escaped to Vt for the weekend, I took a spin. I had originally considered an attempt on Lincoln Gap but ruled it out because of imminent T-storms. Descending LGap back to Warren is tricky enough on a dry day in full daylight.

Once I got to Waitsfield on my ride from the pad I felt ok enough to try the east side of the App Gap. Never done it from this side. Like a lot of the gap roads, it's a gradually increasing grade to the top, though not as steep as the western approach. I think it hits 13-15%. There are also some high profile milestones, the MR Barn, MRG base lodge, top of the Practice Slope, some friends' homes......

I was up past the Practice Slope where it gets steeper and had just come around a hairpin when I heard tires scrubbing in a turn coming uphill behind me. My first thought was, "hmmm, bald tires". Then I hear the 4banger working with all it has. An old Honda CRV with 2 kayaks on the roof pulls up along side me. A young guy, blonde hair and wraparound shades is driving. No doubt understanding the challenge I've taken on, he yells "Duuuuuude! Goooooo Duuuuuuuude! You're a f*ckin' mountain man! Go Duuuuuude. You got this! Go, go, go!"

He kept yelling "go, go, go". I could hear him for at least 100 yards over the sound of the straining motor. I laughed all the way to the top, which quieted the pain. Moondoggie made my day.

benny

Re: Cycling

Postby RobRox » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:30 pm

Saw a gent descending as we were leaving MRG after the Mountain Work Day. Might have been about 4:30 or 5. Glasses, dark blue jersey?
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
RobRox

Postby benny » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:56 pm

Not me. I descended sometime after 6:00.
benny

Postby Williamtele » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:18 pm

Well done. I hope you celebrated with an adult beverage.

We're doing our annual "Double Kanc" or "Kanker Sore" ride on Saturday, August 26 from Loon to Conway and back on Rt. 112. It's about 70 miles RT. Knowing the readership here, I feel comfortable inviting anyone interested to join the fun. PM me for details.
Williamtele

Postby benny » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:38 am

Williamtele wrote:Well done. I hope you celebrated with an adult beverage.

We're doing our annual "Double Kanc" or "Kanker Sore" ride on Saturday, August 26 from Loon to Conway and back on Rt. 112. It's about 70 miles RT. Knowing the readership here, I feel comfortable inviting anyone interested to join the fun. PM me for details.

Thanks for the invite.

The timing doesn't work to ride the Kanc with you this year. I'll definitely keep it in mind for the future.
benny

Postby oldschool » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:54 am

Timing did not work for me either this year - please remind folks next year - would be fun to have a loose schedule of a few rides that folks here could get together on in the summer maybe.

I've made a decision to do the ADK Ididaride 75 miler each year if I can. It falls at the end of July each year - 2018 will be July 29. Good ride with plenty of hills plus a good after party BBQ. I found a nice primitive campsite after this year's ride and would be happy to hang out with folks for an evening and maybe do a mellow gravel grinding/road ride the day following if anyone would be interested.
oldschool
oldschool

Postby Williamtele » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:54 am

oldschool wrote:Timing did not work for me either this year - please remind folks next year - would be fun to have a loose schedule of a few rides that folks here could get together on in the summer maybe.

I've made a decision to do the ADK Ididaride 75 miler each year if I can. It falls at the end of July each year - 2018 will be July 29. Good ride with plenty of hills plus a good after party BBQ. I found a nice primitive campsite after this year's ride and would be happy to hang out with folks for an evening and maybe do a mellow gravel grinding/road ride the day following if anyone would be interested.

Sounds like fun.

We did our other "does this hill ever end?" ride last Sunday, which is a loop that begins and ends in Campton. Goes north to Woodstock, west on Rt112 to Rt118 which goes south over the shoulder of Moosilauke. It's about 5 miles of granny gear. Then a very scary downhill to Warren to Rt 25 back to Plymouth to Rt 3 back to Campton. 60 miles that feels like 100. But a good warm up for Saturday. I'm missing the 3 Notch Century this year due to a poorly timed wedding of a friend's daughter. What were they thinking? I might protest with a sign that says "Bill's Rides Matter." Probably not.
Williamtele

Return to General Topics