Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk, Williamtele

Re: Summer pictures

Postby edgeworker » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:07 am

The Ritz on Plumleys Landing
Hit it like you`ve got a pair!
edgeworker

Postby Dirk » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:30 am

Saturday, I bushwhacked to the summits of two obscure peaks in the Granville Gulf area, Adams and Adams Southwest. I didn't see a soul all day, but someone had thoughtfully left a bottle of Jagermeister at the summit of Adams.It's stuff like this that keeps life interesting.

Dirk

Postby Bob T » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:02 pm

Thoughtful hikers leaving big bottles of disinfectant on obscure summits. Vermont kindness.

My brother sent this to me yesterday. He's in Northern CA somewhere among the titans. He's 6' 4" for scale. Not that that helps very much.
Bob T

Postby Dirk » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:18 pm

Jesus! That is one big tree.
Dirk

Postby Biff » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:56 am

Dirk wrote:Jesus! That is one big tree.

Or one tiny little guy....
The only "normal" people are the ones you don't know.
Biff
Site Admin

Postby Dirk » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:51 am

Not really summer anymore, is it? But Saturday was a beautiful day, and friends pulled me away from the lowly Greens to the high alpine of the Whites. We hiked the popular Falling Waters/Bridle Path loop over the Liberty Ridge. Looking North from Little Haystack:

Some joker lugged a Halloween costume all the way to the summit of Lafayette. Either that, or it really was a dead guy. I didn't get close enough to tell.

I haven't been up there since my mid-twenties. The mountains seem to have gotten much taller and steeper. Must be subduction, or something.
Dirk

Postby Williamtele » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:04 am

Interesting story about a man who did die on Mt. Lafayette, but on purpose. And strangely, his son was the one profiled in Jon Krakauer's book "Into the Wild."

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/02/20/us/guy-waterman-dies-at-67-wrote-books-about-hiking.html
Williamtele

Postby North816 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:53 am

I remember when that suicide happened. That's mental illness, not aging. If you can still hike 3,000 vertical it's not time to die! not even close.
North816

Postby edgeworker » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:28 am

The kid in Into the Wild was NOT Guy Waterman's son. Guy's son died in Alaska doing insane trips on his own. Guy died in some degree due to untreated Alcoholism. Two books have been written on the subject - one by his wife. Together they wrote many books. My favorite is Forest & Crag, an ample page turner on the history of climbing and hiking in the Northeast - they were fantastic writers.

Nice pics from up top on Franconia Ridge. I did the Pemi Loop this past Sept. Wonderful real-estate
edgeworker

Postby Dirk » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:16 am

Thanks Edge. I didn't mean to pick at the Guy Waterman scab, but I guess I should have anticipated it. We talked about doing the Pemi loop next summer, as we were looking down from the Ridge. It really made me appreciate what an epic undertaking Bob T's Pemi Traverse was.
Dirk

Postby edgeworker » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:25 pm

No worries. Kmart opens tomorrow. I'll be there on Friday

What's a pemi traverse?
On the loop I started from Hancock Camp ground and went clockwise over the ridge, S Twin & the bonds and back to my campsite w/ swimming hole. 2 days
edgeworker

Postby Dirk » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:39 am

edgeworker wrote:What's a pemi traverse?

Bob T. skied from the Zealand trailhead on 302 to Lincoln Woods a couple of years ago. He wrote it up, you can probably find his trip report by doing a site search, if you're interested.
Dirk

Postby edgeworker » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:57 am

Of course he skied it. What was I thinking? Thanks
edgeworker

Postby RobRox » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:09 pm

Three hours to clear two huge blowdowns from the historic CCC ski trail (2030')

Dratted storm (2500')

That's better, only two hours:
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
RobRox

Postby Bob T » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:27 am

Dirk, that's quite the photo of up top. Got me thinking about skiing Monroe's east-facing lee drifts sometime soon. A favorite November bc ski cheat. And yes, Pemi madness calls! Mark your calendar for later March and hope against hope that the weather gods bless us with snow and cold.

Nice work, Rob. Any reports on how Tuckerbrook is doing? Did a little exploring of my haunts last weekend and it's time to rev up the Corona Razor Tooth. Jeezum! Trees down everywhere. Except for the fact that NH rifle season kicked off yesterday I would be out there every evening now.

Frost lace falling off the remaining oak leaves this morning. At least that's what I think it is. It's falling in these weird lacy clumps.
Bob T

PreviousNext

Return to General Topics