• Advertisement

Summer pictures

A forum for general discussions.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk, Williamtele

Re: Summer pictures

Postby RobRox » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:58 am

Bob T wrote:...
Nice work, Rob. Any reports on how Tuckerbrook is doing? Did a little exploring of my haunts last weekend and it's time to rev up the Corona Razor Tooth. Jeezum! Trees down everywhere. Except for the fact that NH rifle season kicked off yesterday I would be out there every evening now.

Frost lace falling off the remaining oak leaves this morning. At least that's what I think it is. It's falling in these weird lacy clumps.
Thanks Bob! It was a little chilly, ice formed on the trail during the day.

The Zone is so far in and so rugged "pickup hunters" would be found elsewhere, preferring, as they do, to hunt closer to the road. The area has a few deer, but it is mostly Moose and Bear country.....judging by the sign.

Sorry, no Tuckerbrook beta. Take a walk in via the old Coppermine Ski Trail to pick up the T-brook at 2800'. On the way up, a few minutes beyond the GF's exit, watch for flagging to avoid the muddy hiker-built re-route. There is a bog just above the upper Coppermine Brook crossing but the remainder is bog free all the way to 2800'.
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
RobRox

Postby jrjr » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:04 am

Seems google does not allow image hosting any more... Interesting.
jrjr

Postby PaulStokes » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:31 pm

jrjr wrote:Seems google does not allow image hosting any more... Interesting. Thanks Bob! It was a little chilly, ice formed on the trail during the day.
The Zone is so far in and so rugged "pickup hunters" would be found elsewhere, preferring, as they do, to hunt closer to the road. The area has a few deer, but it is mostly Moose and Bear country.....judging by the sign.
Sorry, no Tuckerbrook beta. Take phen375 https://theskinnyvibes.com/phen375-reviews-results/ phen 375 reviews and walk in via the old Coppermine Ski Trail to pick up the T-brook at 2800'. On the way up, a few minutes beyond the GF's exit, watch for flagging to avoid the muddy hiker-built re-route. There is a bog just above the upper Coppermine Brook crossing but the remainder is bog free all the way to 2800'

But you can post your images here through "Upload attachment" option while posting.
Last edited by PaulStokes on Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
PaulStokes

Postby benny » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:20 pm

While not exactly summery, I saw DSO the other night at the Ridgefield Playhouse. In a break from their usual m.o. the whole show was acoustic. Good stuff.

Btw, the Ridgefield Playhouse is a gem of a venue. It's on a shortlist of my favorite indoor venues.

benny

Postby MikeK » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:31 pm

Managed to get away from my kids for a few days:

Cooking smoked bacon and potatoes from the German butcher:

Enjoying a Hayburner IPA (obscured) whilst soaking my feet in Bear Lake:

MikeK

Postby lowangle al » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:59 am

Looks nice Mike. Where's the boat? Are there many of those lean-tos on lakes up there?
lowangle al

Postby MikeK » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:40 am

No boat Al, we were backpacking.

Lots of lean tos on lakes. The one on Bear Lake isn't on the water though, it's back up in the woods, but it's still a real nice spot. We had a tent but slept in shelters both nights we were out. Other than the bat that was living in the second one, they were good accommodations.
MikeK

Postby lowangle al » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:07 pm

I'm glad to see you're not a weight weenie Mike. Was it just you and the dog?

Here is the boat for you Mike, (if the link works) it's not too far from you and you'll be able to take a lot more beer.

https://fingerlakes.craigslist.org/boa/ ... 46119.html
lowangle al

Postby MikeK » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:15 pm

No, I was with my biking buddy. That's his dog. Funny enough, the dog's name is Bear.

That sure is a nice boat. More money than I have to spend and I have a rack full of 3 canoes I'm not able to use in garage. We bought an old 17' Sawyer in the spring for the boys, but we won't be trying them in it this year. Next year... maybe?

I haven't been out backpacking or canoe tripping in over two years. It took me the whole week to get all my stuff together and feel confident I had everything I wanted and nothing I didn't.

When you hike in the Adirondacks, there's no need to carry much water (except a little to drink), so I bring beers. I had two empty Nalgene bottles in my pack that are easy to fill up with filtered water pretty much anywhere. Preferably when you stop for the day and after you've run out of beer...
MikeK

Postby oldschool » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:03 pm

Hi Mike,

My wife and I stopped by that lean to a couple weeks back - we camped in one of the sites along the access road that leads in there. A nice spot that is not too long a drive to get to but is pretty secluded. Paddling on Woodhull is pretty nice too. We did a day hike to Bear lake as well - terrible deer flies and then as we were wading in to cool off the feet my wife mentioned that she felt something "nibbling at my toes" - we have a bunch of crayfish in the creek at our cabin in PA and so I didn't think too much of it and felt something a little similar when I waded in. I was sitting on the edge of the lake with my heels in the water and I feel something at my heel - here its a flatworm/leech about 4-5 inches long. Noticed that the pond you pass on the way there is called Bloodsucker Pond. I've swum a decent bit in the adks and never encountered anything like that.

If you are looking for a primitive site that is near Blue Mountain Lake, there are two campsites off the O'Neill Flow road - one of them is right by the road in and the other is a quarter mile walk from the car and down by a pond - not much swimming there though.

Drove through the Moose River Plains Road for the first time a couple weeks ago - loads of sites in there.

Glad you got out for a bit -
oldschool
oldschool

Postby MikeK » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:52 pm

Hey OS - it's amazing what a couple weeks will do! The flies were almost non-existent last weekend. I had a couple buzz me on the trail but they were so dumb and slow I crushed them no problem.

Leeches: they are in almost every pond and lake in the ADKs. It just happens as to whether or not they are interested in you. I sat in that water for over an hour with tons of minnows swimming at my feet, but not a single leech.

The Bear Lake lean to is nice isn't it? It's the only one made of Cedar that I know of. A friend of mine who is part of lean to rescue helped build it. He told me about 2-3 years ago, but I hadn't had a chance to go check it out. Like I say, it was nice except for the bat, and he wasn't even that bothersome. He had a nice hole in between one of the side cross beams and side walls. We plugged it off from the inside with aluminum foil :D But I suppose if he really wanted he could have come through the 12x6 opening in the front 8)

There's lots o' drive up sites in the park if you know where to look. Moose river plains is among the most popular. I like Wolf Landing Rd. As much as I've been in that area (since I was like 3) I had never been down there. And Bear Lake and its environs was one of the coolest places I've been in that area. The boulders and cliffs north of the lake were exceptional.
MikeK

Postby benny » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:46 pm

Predawn at midstation.

benny

Postby Go Fish » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:07 pm

Can you guess where I took my kid and wife for their first visit?

Go Fish

Postby RobRox » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:00 pm

Go Fish wrote:Can you guess where I took my kid and wife for their first visit?
Diagon Alley?
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
RobRox

Postby Go Fish » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:05 am

Close enough...Platform 9 3/4 is actually in Kings Cross station in London. They filmed one of the Harry Potter scenes there. The luggage cart half into the wall is a touristy thing for kids.

We were in London for 4 days and then 4 days in the Welsh countryside. I had never been to Wales. It is beautiful and the people are fantastic. The landscape is very much like the part of Vermont around Jay Peak. We had a few pretty spectacular hikes to castle ruins and to waterfalls. I can highly recommend spending some time there. It would be a great place to bring a mountain bike.
Go Fish

PreviousNext

Return to General Topics