• Advertisement

Springtime!!

A forum for general discussions.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk, Williamtele

Re: Springtime!!

Postby capecodtele » Wed May 10, 2017 6:47 am

'm sporting multiple home-school tweezer surgery wounds with ticks parts stuck in them. Knocking on virtual wood that none of them bullseye.

Be careful with this.....

As a residence of a location loaded with deer ticks and having risky encounters in the woods all the time while mountain biking.....the bulls eye rash only shows up about 50% of the time or less with a Lyme infection. Down here on the cape, the local medical community's standard protocol is to do a preventative dose of antibiotics (one or two pills) after any deer tick bite which is supposed to nip any of the multiple diseases carried by the deer tick in the bud before it takes hold. I have had lyme symptoms before but never had the rash and have had to go through the 30 days of antibiotic treatment a couple of times from tick bites.
capecodtele

Postby Biff » Wed May 10, 2017 7:23 am

capecodtele wrote:
'm sporting multiple home-school tweezer surgery wounds with ticks parts stuck in them. Knocking on virtual wood that none of them bullseye.

Be careful with this.....

As a residence of a location loaded with deer ticks and having risky encounters in the woods all the time while mountain biking.....the bulls eye rash only shows up about 50% of the time or less with a Lyme infection. Down here on the cape, the local medical community's standard protocol is to do a preventative dose of antibiotics (one or two pills) after any deer tick bite which is supposed to nip any of the multiple diseases carried by the deer tick in the bud before it takes hold. I have had lyme symptoms before but never had the rash and have had to go through the 30 days of antibiotic treatment a couple of times from tick bites.

Yea, I'll add to that.... general rule of thumb is that you are OK if it was not on for at least 24 hours but that is just for Lyme and still no guarantee. Ticks carry other nasties as well. At first I was getting antibiotics for deer tick bites but it got to the point I would just be on them all the time. So now I just double and triple check at night before bed. I know I'm not alone when I say that I know countless people that have or have had lyme. It's unbelievable.
The only "normal" people are the ones you don't know.
Biff
Site Admin

Postby Bob T » Wed May 10, 2017 9:04 am

Thanks for the inconsistent bullseye warning. I figure I'm dosed with so much afoxolander (active ingredient in Nexgard) from being close to my dogs that I get at least some protection. Like Biff, I'm pretty good at getting them off me before they chow down. Not 100% though. It really is a scourge.
Bob T

Postby capecodtele » Wed May 10, 2017 12:14 pm

Yeah, they really need to come up with a long term repellent for humans like they have for dogs...I hear they have a new oral repellent for dogs that works for 6 months...I wonder what it would do to humans...my mother volunteered for a lyme vaccine trial back about 10 years ago but I guess it didn't work because I haven't heard anything about it since.

Now there is some new tick borne virus/bacteria call Powassan that I read can be transferred by the tick within 15 minutes of attachment and can be fatal...I need to get more deep woods off and keep it in my truck so I can bathe it before every venture into the woods...either that or becoming a roadie full time...but whats the fun in that and there are more acute risks involved with road biking.
capecodtele

Postby Biff » Wed May 10, 2017 12:45 pm

That Powassan sounds evil... My son got anaplasmosis from a bite last summer. It was a typical situation... doctor treats for the flu, he doesn't get better until I step in, tell him to go back and get tested for lyme and...voila.You would think, given the epidemic, that it would be one of the first things they would test for. And the symptoms only grow worse and harder to cure the longer you go untreated.
The only "normal" people are the ones you don't know.
Biff
Site Admin

Postby benny » Wed May 10, 2017 2:44 pm

In my neck of the woods many get it. I've had it twice in last 10 yrs.

Given that the tests are prone to false negatives Dr.'s tend to treat based on symptoms regardless of test results.
benny

Postby Bern » Wed May 10, 2017 2:58 pm

I don't spend as much time in the woods I used to but I still spray shoes, socks and lower pant legs with Permethrin every 3-4 weeks. The stuff is a poison so it pays not to overdo it. https://www.rei.com/s/permethrin-insect ... ing&page=1

The novelist Amy Tan one contracted Lyme disease and had a very difficult time getting it diagnosed correctly. She wrote about this in one of her books. She found out much more about treatment at a lyme sufferers web site than from any medical source. I have a friend I've known since he was 20 years old who now is an MD. He assures me that many doctors are idiots.
Life is complex - it has real and imaginary parts

You can observe a lot by looking. Yogi Berra
Bern

Postby flyingcow » Wed May 10, 2017 5:23 pm

I think it depends on where you live. I have a friend who (in St. Lawrence County, NY) couldn't get a doctor to test for lyme even with a known tick bite. Growing up in NJ, if it was spring and we had flu like symptoms, the doctor would start you on the lyme treatment before the ELISA even came back (especially because they were only about 60% accurate). I tested positive once of the two times I had it.

Oh wait... Springtime thread, post hiking stoke!

Far less perfect than Zim.
flyingcow

Postby RobRox » Thu May 11, 2017 9:35 am

There remains some snow:
Northeast Snowfield bathed in morning light
MWO Cam Network, 7:10AM, May 10, from Jackson, NH.
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
RobRox

Postby Bob T » Fri May 12, 2017 3:00 pm

Nice Spring forest green sprinkles, fc. How about a pic of your dog?
RR, your Mem day ski fest subliminal advertising is working... :)
Williamtele, don't give up on posting your fracture pic!

This morning I dreamt my Mom was teaching me how to steep ski! Mother's Day must be upon us.

Well, ski season is over which means...it's trail/glade clearing season!
Pic below of a stretch of forest yesterday evening where I haven't ever touched anything. It's just clear. All by itself. I did however cuisinart a deadfall clot that was harshing my lines downhill from here. No ticks at 2500' yet.

Ruby's rock yesterday.

Ruby's rock (to the left) in early April.
Bob T

Postby North816 » Sun May 14, 2017 9:28 am

looks like today's storm is cold enough for a snow refresher in the Presidentials, 2 feet forecast for the summit, the freezing line is at 4000" right now.
North816

Postby Bob T » Mon May 15, 2017 7:44 am

Ha! The Sherburne is skiable again! So says the avy bulletin. Snowed a foot up at Hermit Lake. Almost double that at the Rockpile summit. If I lived closer to the East side would go over.

Will settle for a brief white hat on Moosi. Temps expected to soar this week.
Bob T

Postby North816 » Tue May 16, 2017 10:35 am

Looks like 30+inches at the summit! should be great for the east snowfields
North816

Postby Bob T » Tue May 16, 2017 8:05 pm

I went out with a camera this afternoon to bring back a picture of Moosi's hat. However, it was pretty much gone. The top of the Franconia range is whitish. The Presidentials got smacked - snow cloaked.
Bob T

Postby North816 » Wed May 17, 2017 10:13 am

Boston Globe article on the snow - 33 inches at the summit, the largest May storm on record. too bad about the hot weather this spring. I think we may be headed for the hottest temp ever in May this week.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2017/ ... story.html
North816

PreviousNext

Return to General Topics