• Advertisement

Presidential phrolics 2017

A forum for general discussions.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk, Williamtele

Presidential phrolics 2017

Postby RobRox » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:18 pm

GOS Sunday, 22JAN2017
Foggy day, on the way up the snow got crispy by 3600 feet and at the 3800' rollover between two of the early gullies there was surface ice. By the time I got to 4000 feet and looked at the main gully it was doubtfull I would be going any higher.

Foggy air, foggy glasses, foggy under the vest

Then friends showed up and added the voices of reason. Down we went.

Switched to mountaineering glasses for the descent. They fogged too, making for tricky route finding on the way down
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
RobRox

Re: Presidential phrolics 2017

Postby Bob T » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:17 am

Presidential phog! Well, you got in a decent climb and the slide back down must have had at least one fun turn in it.
Bob T

Postby Biff » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:44 am

Way to get it Rob! It's the adventure that counts.
The only "normal" people are the ones you don't know.
Biff
Site Admin

Postby Bob T » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:33 pm

Bob T

Postby North816 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:42 pm

that graupel layer will get you every time!

>>>The wind slab that formed yesterday will likely have many layers and minute density changes within, creating many interfaces to possibly fail on. Due to cross-loading, north and east-facing slopes contain connected wind slab for much of the forecast area. South-facing slopes were scoured by winds at the top, but contain areas of wind slab in the bottom of these forecast areas.
North816

Postby telehubby » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:00 pm

Saturday was the day for us. On the road by 6:45 and got to the visitors center by 8:15ish. We hit the trail at 9 after some last minute adjustments etc.
Son the Elder and I got to Hojo's at 10 and Telewife and Son the Younger were along soon after.
Pretty rowdy crowd and everyone was enjoying the Tux vibes. Inserting obligatory shot from the floor.

Son the Elder and I went up Right Gully and Son the Younger met us part way up on our way down.
View from Right Gully
We picked up Telewife at the Lunch Rocks and headed out.
The Little Headwall is out so people were taking various routes out. We traversed high to the right of the stream and dropped into the lower snowfields from the upper couloir. The Sherbie was in fine shape but probably won't last all the way to the parking lot for long.
Conditions will be nice in the bowl next weekend too, I'll miss the trip in there but have fun to those headed up.
telehubby

Postby RobRox » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:52 pm

Up at 4AM, arrived at 7:35, finding the small lot almost half full. I was skinning by 7:50AM. The trip to Gem Pool was fine, but it was booting from there. The upper river crossing was very spicy.

Reached Lakes according to plan, chitchat ensued but then it was time...Double Barrel awaited, but where? Fortunately a couple of guys I skied Gnarl Factor with were there and returned the favor by showing me the entrance to DB. There was a tiny bit of roll-over, but it was just a prelude to a welcoming little snowfield amidst the brush and a nice chute...for which my 176cm skis would have been a better choice. It was so much fun I broke out in tele turns... Down at 4300' I headed left and got down to an open stream at 4200'.
I skinned back to the west exit and realized that one and done was the smart thing. LOC hut has a few wind sheltering nooks for basking in the sun and a nice bench in smokers' corner.

After a suitable rest and recovery, Monroe Brook. I crossed in low, as usual, but the headwall would have been better, fat and looking like it would hang on for another week at least.

Down low MB was showing the usual beginnings of adventure skiing....fortunately, the alt is working nicely, for those willing to hit the excitingly arranged entrance ramp with sufficient speed.

Parking lot apres was in effect. Wonderfull seeing folks I haven't seen in a long time and playing stick with an enrgetic Alsation.

Looking East from the Crawford Path

Looking West out of the West Exit at the East Snowfield of Monroe

From LOC, what was left of Monroe's NE Snowfield

Traverse on a line to the top of Bretton Woods to get to the headwall of Monroe Brook

Looking up into Monroe Brook

Looking down MB
RobRox

Postby North816 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:14 am

nice pics! And it looks like a snowy week coming up for Mt. Wash.
North816

Postby Bob T » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:44 pm

Gee whiz, I miss the west side. Looks like you hit it just before melt out, Rob. Nicely done.
Bob T

Postby RobRox » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:26 pm

Don't give up on The Rockpile just yet. Mostly overcast all this week and not all that warm. Looks like 5-8 inches around Wed-Thu and two days to settle...looks like corn-cycle enhancements to me.
RobRox

Postby North816 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:19 am

looks like those East snowfields will be piling on this week! I still remember the year it snowed 8 feet in May up there...'97..always hoping for a repeat
North816

Postby Bob T » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:46 pm

BTW, Telehubby, very jealous of your family foray to Tucks. Told my girls when they were up visiting that I want to get them used AT equipment so they can ski in the woods with me. My youngest, leary and well aware of my appreciation of type X fun, replied that maybe we should rent first to see if the experience exceeds her "bushwhack factor". I'll have to craft a perfect initial tour that hooks them...something involving gently rolling farm fields, getting stranded in raspberry canes, and stampeding sheep perhaps...
Bob T

Postby RobRox » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:49 pm

...Bolton Valley and some slack-country as an intro???
RobRox

Postby underbrush » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:15 pm

Nice photos around the Rockpile! Telehubby we were up there in the crowd on Saturday too. My daughter skinned up for the first time, she's hiked a couple others, but we never seem to make it past the lower snowfields and bottom of Hillmans. The bowl looked great, I cant wait untill I can take her up into Right gully in full sunhine, truly priceless ski days!

Glad to see the Westside hanging in there, Monroe looked pretty smooth. Hoping for a good weather window on the weekend!
underbrush

Postby telehubby » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:13 am

Bob, I hope it works out that you can get your girls out in the BC. Telewife uses AT gear because she feels much more confident alpining in tight trees and steep slopes. For me it isn't about how you get down but being there together sharing something you love with people you love. Although Telewife did call the skinning part type 2 fun.
Stampeding sheep sounds better than herding cats.....
UB that's great that your daughter skinned up. Soon enough you'll be trying to keep up. Son the Younger got to lunch rocks and said he wasn't going any higher, just down. That's why Son the Elder and I met him part way down Right Gully, he had changed his mind.
Just to see Son the Younger's face when he got to the floor of the bowl was priceless. It was his first time in the bowl and that experience is unique.
telehubby

Next

Return to General Topics