• Advertisement

WINTER STORM WARNING

A forum for general discussions.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk, Williamtele

Re: WINTER STORM WARNING

Postby North816 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:48 am

30 inches, wow, you never forget those days. Free helicopter skiing!
North816

Postby Bob T » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:04 pm

Weather radar is showing a ferocious front driving west right now extending below NJ and way up into Quebec. Yowza.
Bob T

Postby Bob T » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:29 am

Watching from the window as a few confused, lonely snow flakes wandered around the yard then WHAMMO, a downdraft carried a mini-squall in and it was instant snow globe. Much better! Not that it's going to amount to anything, but I'll take what I can get.
Bob T

Postby Bob T » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:48 pm

MRG weather blog about Tuesday storm wrote:The intensity of the chill will relax just somewhat on Monday but by then we will be watching what appears to be a sizable winter storm. This folks, is our best shot at big snow since the middle of February and it could prove to be one of the biggest winter storms for the entirety of New England spanning the whole season. Cold air, jet energy and a plethora of Atlantic moisture are all present, but we just have to hope that Vermont get a full dose of the results. We could get innocuously grazed or we could get the 2-footer we've been looking for. Right now, confidence is high that a strong low pressure center will be in the vicinity of Cape Cod on Tuesday evening March 14th but it all depends on how close this system is to the coast once it consolidates. Most of the potential snowfall would fall Tuesday in such a scenario.
Bob T

Postby North816 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:11 pm

yes, there are promising storm clouds on the horizon! Plenty of base left in the mountains too, I just got back from a trip up to Hojo's, the entire mountain is in the process of turning to frigid white concrete, poor timing but classic New England for the inaugural Mount Washington Backcountry festival this weekend. At least the party will go off as planned:

https://www.skimtwashington.com
North816

Postby RobRox » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:23 pm

Take a look at the summit forcast on WU. 1"-3" tonight 1"-3" tomorrow and <1 for Friday. A summit inch can be six inches to over a foot in the gullies and it can also be a risky 2 feet in perfect conditions.

I'll be GOS on Saturday, digging a bit just because. However, I am expecting 6"-10" of buff and/or sastrugi if this mornings forecast holds good.
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
RobRox

Postby North816 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:50 pm

there's snow on the radar now, hopefully it will come through, it's been a good year up there. It's going to be a bit brisk up there Saturday. I'd love to attend some of the events, not sure if I can get away this weekend. in other news the storm next week is looking good.
North816

Postby North816 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:54 am

part I came through - 3.4" at the summit last night.

Tuesday storm is starting to look epic, the forecast for eastern Mass. has been revised to 12+ inches.
North816

Postby Bob T » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:29 pm

Josh Fox, MRG weather blog guru, remains optimistic for the north country. Just posted an update: http://madriverglenweather.blogspot.com
Bob T

Postby North816 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:42 am

Mt. Wash did get another 6" last night. Tuesday storm is still on track.
North816

Postby RobRox » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:13 pm

Found just over 3" on rough crust at 3200' in the Western Whites. An inch and a half at 1900. Hoping for Tuesday's storm to fill in all the holes.....
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
RobRox

Postby North816 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:03 pm

so there was something for skins to stick to. The Saturday night event looked fun, I'll to have to make it next year.

I like the sound of this - hopefully the mountains will get some backlash snow after it passes. This winter has been good for some big ocean storms.

>>>By Tuesday morning, snow should be breaking out across New England and it will last through the majority of the day and into the evening. There is also some trailing energy behind this storm, which means we’ll have to monitor the chance that areas of snow could continue to develop and swirl about New England well into the day on Wednesday with some additional accumulations, albeit less intense snowfall during that time.

A good starting point for snow totals is looking like 1 to 2 feet. Naturally at this range, some of those numbers may change over the next couple of days. Inland snow is looking like it should be pretty fluffy at the moment, with a wetter consistency toward Cape Cod and the Islands.
North816

Postby Bob T » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:51 am

My most recent NE weather go to page is the NWS regional "decision support briefing". Insightful, no hype synopsis.
http://www.weather.gov/images/gyx/EMBriefingImages/Overview.png

Bob T

Postby North816 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:31 am

cool, thanks for the link. Looks like we may have a nice storm coming our way, with more snow at elevation.
North816

Postby North816 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:35 am

strange, one forecast for my area says 20 inches of snow is coming, another says 1 inch. Looks like the potential for 2 feet in southern VT/NH/Berkshires
North816

PreviousNext

Return to General Topics