• Advertisement

WINTER STORM WARNING

A forum for general discussions.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk, Williamtele

Re: WINTER STORM WARNING

Postby oldschool » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:36 pm

We took a day to ski Gore on Tuesday - found some nice conditions - the drive was longer than usual as the roads were a mess with the storm still happening all the way there in the morning - got stuck behind slow cars and trucks here and there for long periods of time. Arrived about 45 minutes late from normal start at least but just about nobody there at all for the whole day. Very nice skiing albeit a little heavy most places. Plenty of coverage and pretty rare that ice encountered underneath. Supposedly they've had about 15 inches in the last week and that seems about right. A lot of their terrain is now open with more opening up - weather looks like a good trend for the next week as well. Just figured I'd post this in case any of you are interested. I think there is a good chance we will be back one of the days this weekend.
oldschool
oldschool

Postby Bob T » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:20 pm

I'm officially strapped into the hope and fear roller coaster for the snow accumulation forecast that's begun for the next three storms. Accumulations for Thursday's storm just got upgraded in my zone. Storm track must be shifting north. At least for now...
Bob T

Postby Biff » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:14 am

As is usually the case with these storms these days I can't figure out who is getting what… I'm wondering if it's worth a trip up to Mt.A tomorrow. They are saying coastal but it looks to me like the mountains are getting it.

And, speaking of getting it… we may get 12-18" Sunday night.
The only "normal" people are the ones you don't know.
Biff
Site Admin

Postby recedinghairline » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:32 pm

Visited WVT glades last Friday. Given current and forecasted precip.
would think the upper trail is very much in play.
recedinghairline

Postby Biff » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:24 pm

We are getting hammered. Reckon I'm heading to abram tomorrow...
Biff
Site Admin

Postby North816 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:47 pm

this winter is improving quickly! this storm is going to punch our ticket, looks like a beauty.
North816

Postby Bob T » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:20 pm

Receding, that's a gorgeous looking glade.
Bob T

Postby Bob T » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:15 am

Dang, Maine is about to clobbered again with the Wed/Thurs storm. Clobbered as in a foot or more! Biff, are you getting the goods?
Bob T

Postby capecodtele » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:31 am

Well Vermont got hit good with this latest storm. Looked at the forecast and decided to take Monday off...good decision skied Sunday and Monday at Magic and they got 12-15 of blower Sunday into Monday...best ski day in memory and surprisingly no wind holds on the lifts Monday, but Magic's lift is pretty sheltered. Being as far from the slopes as I am, it is hard to hit powder days, so I was lucky that the forecasts were correct earlier in the week. Still smiling today as I get back to work. Hope others were able to hit it as well.
capecodtele

Postby Biff » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:40 am

Bob T wrote:Dang, Maine is about to clobbered again with the Wed/Thurs storm. Clobbered as in a foot or more! Biff, are you getting the goods?

Two feet here in Brunswick.... Not skiing today but I'll be back at it Thursday (assuming I can dig out.. :) )
Biff
Site Admin

Postby North816 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:35 pm

re: Maine this year, my thoughts turn to Saddleback where the snow keeps getting deeper over a huge 4000-footer with no lifts running, they're going to have rename it to "Powder Mountain"
North816

Postby Bob T » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:24 am

I'm a big fan of 6-8" storms that over-perform. Especially in the snow desert between the Greens and the Whites.

Backyard fun this morning.

Ruby is head honcho. Exposed typar to prove I live in VT.
Bob T

Postby North816 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:26 pm

my yard looks the same way! I love the way the dogs expect to go skiing every time it snows.

It's officially a good winter. Snow depth over 90 inches at Mansfield & Hermit Lake stakes.
North816

Postby Biff » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:53 pm

Wow, went to Abram today and skied about 30 " of fresh. They were closed from Monday till today so we had the big Sunday night storm total plus last nights 14 inches. And they did 0 grooming. Amazing. There were only around 100 skiers there so it was mostly untracked in the woods and glades all day. What a great powder vibe!
Biff
Site Admin

Postby Telerock » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:42 pm

Sweet!
Telerock

PreviousNext

Return to General Topics