• Advertisement

WINTER STORM WARNING

A forum for general discussions.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk, Williamtele

Re: WINTER STORM WARNING

Postby North816 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:28 pm

the forecast has been scaled back a bit, but I've moved into the maximum 12-18 zone, yee-hah, some more local touring. Looks like more snow in the mountains next week as well.

DCT_SPECIAL33_1280x720.jpg
DCT_SPECIAL33_1280x720.jpg (120.66 KiB) Viewed 6896 times
North816

Postby Telemanarcer » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:00 am

Heard a couple days back Tuesday was going to be another shot.....Bout 8 inches out the door and probably quite a bit more up in the Highlands....No matter how you look at it it's looking real good as there was three feet of base in the Highlands last Sunday....Heading out soon....TM
Telemanarcer

Postby North816 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:34 pm

12-18" forecast turned into 6 inches of slop, but it was still good!
North816

Postby Dirk » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:46 am

Mad River picked up a solid foot. It was heavy, but it was still a great day out yesterday. I ran into robrox in the liftline and we took a couple runs together. The season is far from over.
Dirk

Postby oldschool » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:20 am

Dirk wrote:The season is far from over.

Well it now likely is for me and it's been a lesson in listening to myself I guess, and mostly a reaffirmation of what activity I really live for. Last Sunday night I played indoor soccer with some friends of ours who have a team in a co-ed league. I've not played really since grad school more than 25 years ago - it just made me too sore so I preferred running, inline skating and later, climbing for exercise. I resisted invitations to play for years, I'm not a big joiner of teams or groups and value my trips out of town to ski or fish or hike over playing in some league - that's just me. Well, Sunday evening with 8 minutes left in the game I tripped, all by myself, on a break away and fell on my hand feeling it crunch a bit. Fell on my knee that had some issues a few years back too. Monday trip to ortho and sure enough, metacarpal broken and my arm in a brace for 5-6 weeks. Been taking it easy at work and exercising - still swollen and hurts when I do stuff like trying to button my jeans and tying my shoes is not something I can do at the moment. Of course this storm set up a great day for today that I am pissed that I'll miss one or two really good days at the end of the season. I thought about chancing it, but I'm pretty sure I can't pole or likely even hold a pole without pain in my left hand and skiing more fun terrain means the occasional fall which could be super stupid. Backcountry is largely gone around here - I went last week and got my last bit in. Not going to drive 3 hours to spring ski mellow slopes with no poles and still take a dumb chance. Never broke a bone before.

Lessons - listen to yourself most of the time - I think I avoided injury/breaks in part by avoiding playing (course I'm overweight which increases chance of this kind of thing) and know what activities you value most - for me that really is tele skiing.
oldschool
oldschool

Postby edgeworker » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:36 pm

MRG woods were as good as I've seen them on Sat. This morning the double side was hero cream cheese. Got a nice ski buzz going on....
Hit it like you`ve got a pair!
edgeworker

Postby RobRox » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:04 pm

Thought that was you. Saturday was quite a treat! Once all the main lines were showing tracks I dropped in for some adventure in the Carwash (off 20th). One of my best days in there...first tracks this time, only the second time that has happened, so far.

Today the legs were burnt before Noon.
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
RobRox

Postby RobRox » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:09 pm

Dirk wrote:Mad River picked up a solid foot. It was heavy, but it was still a great day out yesterday. I ran into robrox in the liftline and we took a couple runs together. The season is far from over.
It was a real treat to ski with you and Lee. I am still grinning about that and the snow we had.

The woods were a bit beat up today but folks were hooting and hollering in them anyway.
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
RobRox

Postby Biff » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:46 pm

Went up to Rumford Whitecap today with Randy. I'd say about 8-10 inches from the storm and it was real sweet. I brought the drone and tried shooting footage. Some of it came out but it's real tough to film from the air with all that white snow, sun and glare.
The only "normal" people are the ones you don't know.
Biff
Site Admin

Postby edgeworker » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:42 am

RobRox wrote:Thought that was you. Saturday was quite a treat! Once all the main lines were showing tracks I dropped in for some adventure in the Carwash (off 20th). One of my best days in there...first tracks this time, only the second time that has happened, so far.

Dang. I thought that was you too. I should have spoke up. Next time
Hit it like you`ve got a pair!
edgeworker

Postby Dirk » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:02 am

edgeworker wrote:
RobRox wrote:Thought that was you. Saturday was quite a treat! Once all the main lines were showing tracks I dropped in for some adventure in the Carwash (off 20th). One of my best days in there...first tracks this time, only the second time that has happened, so far.

Dang. I thought that was you too. I should have spoke up. Next time

Likewise. The Voile Superchargers should have tipped me off. Not that I could have kept up with you anyway.
Dirk

Postby North816 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:44 am

Went to Mt. Ag. yesterday and was surprised by how much snow there was. Only a few inches around I-95, Mt. Ag had about 1 foot consolidated at the base and about 2 feet at the top! That little mountain had a blizzard from this storm. I only saw 1 other skier, and a few sets of tracks.
North816

Previous

Return to General Topics