• Advertisement

Western Whites Wild Rumpus '16-'17

A forum for general discussions.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk, Williamtele

Re: Western Whites Wild Rumpus '16-'17

Postby underbrush » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:03 pm

Nice to see you still have a good base around there Bob, a lot of spots are not looking so good right now, the last storm settled and melted out pretty quickly at the lower elevations. I should have got out today, we picked up a few more inches than expected and the rain didn't come in until later in the afternoon, now it's a sloppy mess, oh well. I think I'm heading to northern VT tomorrow to search for cold, deep snow, it's seeming like it still might be there.
underbrush

Postby telehubby » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:48 pm

It is holding up fairly well up here. We got about an hour of frozen wet stuff on top of about 3-4" Friday. Saturday at Cannon had some nice cream cheese topping to it, although it was skiing inside a ping pong ball up top. With some sub-optimal precipitation on the way I felt it my duty to take the puppy out to taste the local flavor.
Our favorite neighborhood Highmowing field.
The upper field isn't quite thicketeering but not quite meadowskipping either. We stuck to the road.
Lapped it twice. It would have been way quicker on the charger bc skis but I wasn't sure of the base so I skinned with some older skis. Beautiful conditions with creamy top layer up to 3" felt like floating in powder. We've taken an eight foot toboggan up there and hit the hole in the stone wall along that tree line. At lest a quarter mile sled run, fun!
Pup had fun chasing me. Sorry for all the gratuitous photos, I had the phone handy..
telehubby

Postby Bob T » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:57 pm

What an inspiring place to ski, TH! Great vistas.

Was also out with the pups. The woods is holding out nicely. For the time being anyway. At 2900' and above the snow dried out which I wasn't expecting. Climbed to 3300' and enjoyed the most bc turns I've had all season.

Brought to you by chocolate chip peanut butter crunch.

Downward.

Sasafrassinsprucein.
ImageImage

Periodic openings. This is more or less DRY snow! Just a wee crust. Inconsequential.

Looked down at the GoPro at one point and --- uh oh -- gone! Jumped off the chest mount. Left the helmet and gloves and climbed back up 150' and just barely found it.

Roo, who is smart and lazy, hung out by the helmet and did not join in the search. Climbing? Oh no. I'm done climbing. Human come back to important thing hung in tree. I stay here.

This is the most coyote sign I've ever seen in the woods. Two of them. Must have just been there. A neighbor says he's seen more bobcat in the woods than coyote. Elusive.

Dropped down into the featureless forest from above and it was a blast to bomb. Wide open. Skied off boulders. Everything paved. Turn (almost) wherever you want.

Hang time.

Gloppy, but still turn friendly down lower.

Bob T

Postby North816 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:45 pm

TH that meadow looks like stuff I ski in my town, except without the million-dollar views! Gorgeous.

Last night I dropped my cell phone while doing a 1-mile walk with the dogs on the beach. I figured it was a goner, dropping something on the beach is like dropping it into snow, goodbye, but there was plenty of daylight so I went to look for it. One of my dogs tracked me to it! I couldn't believe it. They're all good at tracking, it's just the part of asking them to find something that's difficult.
North816

Postby Bob T » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:58 pm

North816 wrote:They're all good at tracking, it's just the part of asking them to find something that's difficult.

I turned to both of them when I saw it was gone and said "Hey! Weren't you supposed to find that and bring it to me?!"

Glad someone's dogs are on the job.
Bob T

Postby Bob T » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:32 pm

Banged out a tour this afternoon with the zogs in an area that I've always wanted to explore. Turned out to be a dud. Way too much understory in the steep part. Of course, it was a fine excuse to get the engine revved up climbing and ski so I ain't complaining!

This, in case you were wondering, is not the steep part. But it is a pretty stretch of woods.

Road home.

Bonus pic. Roo, the aqua-hound, from last week.
Bob T

Postby RobRox » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:16 pm

Nice cover in there.

I'll be missing a chance to revel in the 6-8 the Zone will get, we will be in VT. Somebody go get some. As a side note, there has been some traffic in the K zone one Notch further South. Repairs may have been effected.
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
RobRox

Postby telehubby » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:39 pm

Well, I didn't make it to the Zone, but after leaving Cannon at 2 (just as the sun was trying to break through), I figured there was some ripe corn to be harvested with the pup, Suzie. We headed out the back yard to our other favorite local field, this one we call Europe, because it has a cabin in the middle of it. If you squint it looks like a chalet. The last field I posted we call West Coast. There is a long driveway up to a house just to the side of Europe, about a half mile long, we call that east coast because it's narrow, turny, and usually icy, so original, duh. :roll: This is all sledding related nomenclature. Any way, up we went, stopped for a quick little side shot.
Really kinda missing the snow machine club's grooming
The snow was really sticky and I had to keep kicking the snow off top and bottom.
Pretty much had to pole down the hill to the field. once there the snow was much nicer. Dropped a run and set the skin track.
Rinse and Repeat. Had the Charger BCs and that made all the difference.
I could have stayed out there all afternoon but beer and Alpkase were calling.
So we headed home back up and over the hill.
telehubby

Postby Bob T » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:09 am

This is one of my favorite pics of the season, TH. What a spectacular ski playground.
Bob T

Postby Dirk » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:01 pm

Super nice, Telehubby! From the looks of things, you were up on Sugar Hill somewhere? What a beautiful area.
Dirk

Postby RobRox » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:09 pm

Farmer's delight. Looks like you skied right through the mostly buried tracks of folks getting theirs during the storm
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
RobRox

Postby telehubby » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:59 pm

I agree Bob, I'll have to save that photo for posterity. RR, that field was pretty tracked up from the last storm, I don't think anyone had been up there since. It is a very popular hiking destination here in Sugar Hill. From the other side of the cabin from my house the trail starts from a dead end (turns to class 6)and traverses the hill. It's a very rewarding hike to do with young and old alike. The cabin in the field has a guest book that lots of people sign. The property is a privately conserved large tract bordering Landaff.
Most of my skin tracks are set from my back door. I do have to cross a road to get to "West Coast"
We abut an 85 acre tract of conservation land that in turn abuts the Cabin property. The owner of "Europe" is fastidious of keeping his trails open and buffed out. He allows the snowmobile club to groom a trail through the property as well. If I follow the machine trail it hooks into a class 6 road and then onto the newly created 840 acre Cooley-Jericho Community Forest. That in turn abuts the WMNF and the Jericho trail. In theory I can leave my back door and ski or mountain bike all the way to the base of Kinsman past the Reel Brook Trail with out crossing a road. Almost all the way to Rt. 112.
Cannon was nice this afternoon.
telehubby

Postby telehubby » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:26 pm

This is my vote for photo of the year! K9 getting sendy! Nice shot Bob.
telehubby

Postby underbrush » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:10 am

Nice to see the Franconia zone going strong into April! Cannon looked like they still had complete coverage when I drove by on my way to the rockpile yesterday.

Stuff is still filling in on Washington, the skiing has been great up there lately, been working on my tan!

Tracks from my first run dropping into Ammo south from the snowfields.
The headwall

The snow on the upper mountain was wind packed cream cheese if you stayed on the new drifts, a bit icy under dust if not. I tried to stay featherlight on the steeper bit's considering the avy history of this storm, but this side of the mountain usually packs in pretty firm and it was more cream. There was everything from powder in the shade to crust and sun softened snow on the lower mountain. Lots of tracks from weekend warriors but only a hand full out there yesterday. Hoping it stays all snow up there today, thinking of heading to the northern side for the first time this year tomorrow!
underbrush

Postby North816 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:44 pm

temperature looks good, curently 32 at 1600 feet dropping to 17 at the top:

https://www.mountwashington.org/experie ... sonet.aspx
North816

PreviousNext

Return to General Topics