• Advertisement

Western Whites Wild Rumpus '16-'17

A forum for general discussions.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk, Williamtele

Re: Western Whites Wild Rumpus '16-'17

Postby Bob T » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:59 pm

And UB, no pics?! Trust that you had an excellent time nonetheless.

Today's foray started with liberal application of glide wax.

The conditions were partially corned-up slurpy with tons of rushing meltwater...

...which was thoroughly enjoyed by the most aquatic member of our squad.

There's this weird green stuff showing through here and there. What is this? Unnerving.

I prefer less chromatics - at least until it's inevitably Spring.

In case you were wondering where all the base is going.
Bob T

Postby underbrush » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:30 pm

I watched a bunch of that base spill over the banks of the Baker and the Indian today Bob, a little sad so soon after the winter started to really pick up. At least it looks like the pups are enjoying this bit of spring!

My computer is running a little slow with the pic uploads but I could handle a couple to give an idea of the coverage up there.

Friday on the east side trying to beat the rain I went for the boot spur, which is nicely covered! I skied the far lookers left line behind the tree branches because I've never skied it before and wasn't sure of the conditions. It was pretty thick and sticky but good enough to make some fun turns. Cathedral is looking nice, hoping to check that one off this year!

Looking over at Hillmans from my run. I was able to get a run on the lower snowfields also just as the rain moved in. The bottom of the Sherbie was real fun, the smoothest and widest I've ever skid it!

Saturday went to the west side with Russ. The cloud never lifted so we didn't see or ski Oaks or any of the upper snowfields in Ammo ravine, but we made a summit run from Monroe. We were excited to find some smooth corn snow on the upper section of the brook so we hung out around the honey pot turns for a few and then bailed as the winds started to ramp up. It was way better than expected!

We went for Monroe after seeing the amount of water running out of the Ammo, couldn't believe the amount of snow that disappeared in there. Monroe was in pretty good though with only a few water holes on the bottom.

It sounds like it's going to be a skating rink up there for a bit so at least the melt out is on hold. Looking forward to some good spring turns up there as the season continues...
underbrush

Postby Bob T » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:19 am

Excellent beta, Dr. Underbrush. Happy to see pics of the west side. (of course, the east side is looking as intimidating as usual.) Hoping for some cover for a mid-week afternoon run on Monroe Brook. Nostalgic about late-Spring memories of a foot of pow back there. Could be waiting for a while...
Bob T

Postby North816 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:51 am

nice snow depths up there despite the weather! Your Boot Spur line is looking plenty steep.
North816

Postby Bob T » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:09 pm

Sunday.

Bob T

Postby Bob T » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:11 am

#stupidtourlastnight

#mountainlion
Bob T

Postby RobRox » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:13 am

At least you were on skis...I was on the stupid Tunturi
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
RobRox

Postby RobRox » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:55 pm

Another day into the zone. Made it to the top of BCG, slightly above 3200' elevation. Found 3+ inches of fresh and many pockets and hollows with up to 6 inches blown in. Skiing was surprisingly nice down to 2200 feet. Puzzle solving was involved below that.
The hiking trail was...passable down to 1700 feet and disgusting below there. Not looking at my ski bases until tomorrow....
Looking up (You can believe I was worried that the whole thing would be a disaster)
Looking down from the high point
Beauty shot along the hiking trail
RobRox

Postby Bob T » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:45 pm

Loved this mini-TR, Rob. Nicely done. :)

You really found 3"+ up there? I've been scraping by on an inch of fluff on rocks/ice/sometimesnow. Unlike you, maxing out at 2700'. Maybe there's more magic up higher? Looks like Tuesday should at least bury the rocks in the trails and open up some terrain. Thank goodness. Sporting a pancake-sized bruise from a crash two nights ago. Fell again today. Getting suckered into thinking the fluff is on snow when it's not.

Cold out there!

Plenty of snow. No slope.

Cruising the featureless forest.

Look mom! A turn!

Stalking the wild Coops.

Kaboom!

Staring up at the sky after crashing. Mocked by trees.

Ended up linking a few turns along the margin of this field which was nice.
Bob T

Postby RobRox » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:18 pm

Thanks..
more TR....

Patience and a little luck coincide, a day trip into The Zone works out very nicely.

8:30AM moving away from the car towards 3600 feet. Multi-use trench, snow shoers, boot packers and skiers packed down the surface so progress was somewhat speedy all the way to 1950'. Once on the historic ski trail, skinning was a bit more effort. Shortly I diverged to the uptrack and it became a bunch of work.

1500 feet later I topped out, after passing markers that I reach up for in summer...today they were not even waist high as I skinned by.

I didn't hang around very long and really noticed how quickly the landmarks went by.

Some turns in dreamy powder

The entire GF line was a clean canvas...first tracks since the storm. Gets steep at the horizon line and stays rowdy for a good bit after. Sadly I botched the LZ on the Gnarl A Drop..spraining my dignity a bit.

Upon reaching the historic trail again I saw that the three skiers and one snowshoer had stayed on the old trail...where they came from is open to guesses. Looks like they had it in fine conditions..

Down low a slight sun crust formed on any southern facing snow. Not a problem when I went through, but I'll bet it gets problematic at all south facing elevations in the area after this afternoon's heat and sun.
RobRox

Postby Bob T » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:36 am

Glad you got some dreamy up there, Rob. Looks delicious.
Bob T

Postby underbrush » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:48 am

I was getting psyched for spring corn and bigger lines but this last dose of powder was quite refreshing! I grabbed the Koms and took off for some exploration Thursday, Friday and Saturday. The snow got a little warmer and more sun affected each day but I was still able to find some powder in the shade.

Thursday, up the river and through the woods to powdery slopes I go!

The west wall of the Notch provided good protection from the cold wind and shots of open woods. Smiles and still good base were found!

Friday led me to a steeper spot with more good snow in a different zone, great turns were had but no pictures were taken.

Saturday I was going to head to the West side of Washington but as I approached I could see the winds had been strong enough to scour spots up high and I figured I might find deeper and softer snow down the road. I continued on with the theme of exploration and skied a slope I had been looking at for awhile and then headed to a spot I knew but took different approach which proved much better!

No decent pics of tracks just of unmolested slopes.

The sunshine was nice, even though it had crusted the snow in a couple spots, but there were still plenty of soft turns to be had, always a great treat late in the season!
underbrush

Postby Bob T » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:24 pm

Superb reporting UB! The skiing looks GREAT!
Bob T

Postby RobRox » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:47 pm

I will second that!
RobRox

Postby Bob T » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:46 am

Ladies and gentlemen, this is what a stream crossing should look like.

The dogs and I snuck out yesterday for some vitamin Daylight and found that unlike the end-o-Feb big dump which went poof almost as soon as it fell, this one consolidated, bridged everything, and has turned into a base on which there happens to be a turnable frosting! Instant woods reprieve. March is going out like a snow lion. :)

Coyote tracks. How do I know they're not from my dogs? Because to the upper left you can see they're drifted over. They were put down in the last few days while we weren't there. Cooper went sprinting off following some and I kept one ear to the wind fearing a yelping with a sudden ending. The animals of the woods are hungry right now. Bearses will be waking up shortly.

Awesome storm paving.

Note to self. When you see a nice stretch of slippery crust and decide that it looks like perfect place to do a spin DO NOT DO IT WHEN YOU ARE ON FISHSCALES. The backwards part doesn't work too well. Abrupt stop!

Roo is my co-pilot. Coops is crashed behind the seat somewhere.
Bob T

PreviousNext

Return to General Topics