• Advertisement

Western Whites Wild Rumpus '16-'17

A forum for general discussions.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk, Williamtele

Re: Western Whites Wild Rumpus '16-'17

Postby Dirk » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:55 am

Underbrush, your outings are an inspiration. How is it you always find nice weather on Mt. Washington?
Dirk

Postby Bob T » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:13 am

Definitely an inspiration. Sweet high-angle turnage, UB! Is the throat skiable?

TH, I told Cooper that you liked her pic and she barked which I believe meant "dude, I'm good for much bigger drops" OR "the UPS guy is here!". I'm not sure which. :)
I'm seriously jealous of your out-the-door options! No wonder your son was out after dark the other night. Yowza!

Some pics from Saturday. Dryish above 2400', but a bit sticky below that. Dog maintenance. They had Musher's Secret on their paws. Should have put it on their haunches, too.

In the dry zone. This run yielded some high volume hooting.

Below the dry zone.

Cover girl in flight.
Bob T

Postby Biff » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:30 am

underbrush wrote:Nice to see the Franconia zone going strong into April! Cannon looked like they still had complete coverage when I drove by on my way to the rockpile yesterday.

Stuff is still filling in on Washington, the skiing has been great up there lately, been working on my tan!

Tracks from my first run dropping into Ammo south from the snowfields.
The headwall

The snow on the upper mountain was wind packed cream cheese if you stayed on the new drifts, a bit icy under dust if not. I tried to stay featherlight on the steeper bit's considering the avy history of this storm, but this side of the mountain usually packs in pretty firm and it was more cream. There was everything from powder in the shade to crust and sun softened snow on the lower mountain. Lots of tracks from weekend warriors but only a hand full out there yesterday. Hoping it stays all snow up there today, thinking of heading to the northern side for the first time this year tomorrow!

Man does that look sweet!!!
The only "normal" people are the ones you don't know.
Biff
Site Admin

Postby underbrush » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:21 am

Dirk wrote:Underbrush, your outings are an inspiration. How is it you always find nice weather on Mt. Washington?

There are a lot of nice days on Washington in the springtime, you just need to be able to go when that window of high pressure rolls through. I try not to make myself to busy with work over most of the winter but my funds have dried up now so it's back to reality, somewhat, I do forsee a friday or two on the rockpile thoough! Sunday and Monday are looking pretty good to me up there, although it is supposed to be breezy the higher you go, just need to find a place to hide from the wind.

Bob not sure which throat you are talking about? The very bottom of Ammo is probably melted out with the rain now and you will have to take the skis off for a short distance, it was barely passable the other day. I imagine Monroe still goes all the way through though. I haven't been into the other throat in the Franconia range although that area of the notch seems to be holding the most snow. Looks like Sunday might be a good time to go try to grab some corn in there. The nights at the beginning of next week are all above freezing unfortunately. :(
Love the snowball pic, brings back memories of skiing with my shaggy Bud, hopefully you only had to de-snowball once!

Went to the north side of Adams on Wednesday to search for some pow. Traveled through a patch of it as I got close to the ravine but once I made my way into the ravine there was a little inversion and the snow was raining off the trees. I started to worry it was all going to be dangerously manky on the headwall as I raced through the last bit of trees to avoid getting too wet. The sun looked like it might pop through the fog, and I knew that would be my demise, but it never did. The fog rolled back in and I was just happy to get a glimpse of the snowload on the terrain. I made my way onto the lower snowfield and was happy to see it was soft, warming windpack which fully supported my weight, more of that creamy snow. I went for a couple of the lesser lines that I felt good about and found the same windpack throughout. The viz was no good but it was soft and more filled in than I've seen it in awhile!

underbrush

Postby RobRox » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:01 pm

Not that the Moose will be much less breezy than the Rockpile, but it's closer and got fat this winter. The Inferno is this w/e...just in case you wanted to walk half-a mile to the Eastside trialheads
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
RobRox

Postby RobRox » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:18 pm

Apline starts...nobody really like them, but they do get you on the uptrack ahead of the crowd. Today, the 4:15 wake up got me first tracks up and down on the Moosilauke Carriage road. I had expected there would be others to help break trail, but they turned into a largish group with concommitant logistical issues that delayed their start and slowed their ascent.

Snow cover was ample, but down low the base had a wet top layer, very grabby to the injudicious edge. At mid elevation the grabbing was very slight and the freshies were delightfull. Up high the fresh accumulation was dense, slick, about ten inches deep and quite lovely for turns.

On the way up

At the snow machine turnaround

A few turns

The southern prospect from Breezy Point
Last edited by RobRox on Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
RobRox

Postby Bob T » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:38 am

Nice, Rob. You certainly punched the WW clock this winter in a good way.
Bob T

Postby North816 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:02 pm

The Moose is looking good, that's a lot of vertical. I went up to Hojos, just to ski Sherbie, yesterday, and to see the famous Tucks ****show. It wasn't that bad. People listen to the rangers a lot more these days than 20 years ago. They were warning people away from the fresh slabs sitting in the sun and it was working. Despite the popularity of AT it looked like only about 1/3rd of the pilgrims were using skins.

Some guy looked at my ski gear (3 pin & leathers) in the parking lot and said "you should take Avalanche brook in those". I said "we're going UP, not down", pretty funny. Nice to see all the snow, Gulf of Slides looked like a white wall. It's too bad that bursts of 80-degree weather now seem to be the norm in April, May, and even March.
North816

Previous

Return to General Topics