• Advertisement

No More Black Diamond Telemark Bindings

A forum for general discussions.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk, Williamtele

Re: No More Black Diamond Telemark Bindings

Postby RobRox » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:10 am

Yes, BD make poles and they are really good about parts. My 90s BD Expedition poles finally need replacing, I will be going back to BD for that. Skins? Awesome skins in several types and conficurations....sad if those are gone too :(

The packs are good too... Still using my 90s Stone 33
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
RobRox

Postby Biff » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:30 am

Telemanarcer wrote:BD? Don't think I've ever had anything BD,,,,,Did they make poles?.....Started with 47 mm bindings...er....when the bales flew by my head on more than many occasions knew it was time for something else....Boots....Did they ever make leather?.....Skis....nope....packs...Telepole just got me a pack but don't know what it is except it has easy access...AND two weeks ago Sunday Stannard Mountain had color....Not individual trees.....Snowshoe says he had some crystal structure on the windshield that was mostly dew...but....TM

Actually Bruce, Black diamond is the son of Chouinard. Remember them? Way back they were THE telemark company. That's where I got all my leather boots, three pin bindings, poles etc. They carried what eventually became TUA skis.
The only "normal" people are the ones you don't know.
Biff
Site Admin

Postby phoenix » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:17 pm

OK, I gotta chime in here. I am no BD groupie, but it seems there may be a dissing going on from a faction that may not know WTF they're saying.
First: get the beginning: BD came into a being out of necessity, due to a legal issue with Chouinard. It is the employee owned reincarnation of Chouinard Equipment. Did they ever make skis? The Toute neige was a carry on of the Phoenix Wilderness, which was a rebirth of the Truckers, which most of you never heard of because it existed before you were born and grew out of the Rockies.
Oh and the Grand Vitesse, and then for bindings there was the first cable since the Rottefella Super Telemark front throw ( the original Riva), and the Riva II, and the 03, and 02, and 01, and the Flicklock, too mention a few contributions (by no means all).

Just sayin'...
... and I've yet to be blown away by any core dudes on whatever stuff when I'm in my old T1's and 03's.

No they're not God's gift to tele, but they sure gave it a lot. Attitudes have changed there over the years, but I, for one, honor the roots. They're a different bunch now.
phoenix

Postby Biff » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:47 pm

phoenix wrote:OK, I gotta chime in here. I am no BD groupie, but it seems there may be a dissing going on from a faction that may not know WTF they're saying.
First: get the beginning: BD came into a being out of necessity, due to a legal issue with Chouinard. It is the employee owned reincarnation of Chouinard Equipment. Did they ever make skis? The Toute neige was a carry on of the Phoenix Wilderness, which was a rebirth of the Truckers, which most of you never heard of because it existed before you were born and grew out of the Rockies.
Oh and the Grand Vitesse, and then for bindings there was the first cable since the Rottefella Super Telemark front throw ( the original Riva), and the Riva II, and the 03, and 02, and 01, and the Flicklock, too mention a few contributions (by no means all).

Just sayin'...
... and I've yet to be blown away by any core dudes on whatever stuff when I'm in my old T1's and 03's.

No they're not God's gift to tele, but they sure gave it a lot. Attitudes have changed there over the years, but I, for one, honor the roots. They're a different bunch now.

Right on!! And I do remember Trucker skis. Never owned a pair but they were legend in Alta. (I did own some Phoenix skis...heavy as bricks). The first person I saw on Truckers also had a pair of Steincomps he had done himself. I promptly went back east and made myself a pair by cutting the cuffs off of an old pair of downhill boots and riveting them to my Merrils. Then Merril took the hint and came out with the supercomp with a plastic cuff.

I still have some early Chouinard catalogs. Talk about nostalgia....
Biff
Site Admin

Postby Grant » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:11 pm

Grant

Postby Biff » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:33 am

Grant wrote:Image

:lol: :lol:
Biff
Site Admin

Postby phoenix » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:04 pm

Biff, I was probably over at Snowbird when you were at Alta. Cut my 3 pin teeth in those days; it was a fun new alternative to the alpine boards back then, but hung 'em up for good soon after.

I still have a beloved pair of Trucker light Tourings, that I just won't part with. The Light Edge's were my "tele", B/C ski for many a year. good stuff.
(P.S. - I get a chuckle out of the cartoon too).
phoenix

Postby phoenix » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:02 pm

Well I just had a taste of the new school BD... need a cable for my 03's, and was told they are out of tele and sold through what they had. No more.
It never sits well with me to have a deliberate obsolesence of one's own product (and in this case the )01's, 02', and 03's combined).

That said, and now experienced with the New Guard, I still hold my respect for the old.
phoenix

Postby Dirk » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:37 am

phoenix wrote:Well I just had a taste of the new school BD... need a cable for my 03's, and was told they are out of tele and sold through what they had. No more.
It never sits well with me to have a deliberate obsolesence of one's own product (and in this case the )01's, 02', and 03's combined).

That said, and now experienced with the New Guard, I still hold my respect for the old.

Yo Phoenix, I'll give you a brandy-new set of 03s, if you take the skis they are attached to. See my recent post on the Gear for Sale forum. PM me if you're interested.
Dirk

Postby phoenix » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:07 pm

That's a great offer Dirk, but Orange is a long way from Montgomery. I might pull one binding off another pair of skis on the rack, which don't really get used.
phoenix

Postby Dirk » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:21 am

Sounds good. I'll shoot you a PM if I head up to Jay anytime soon.
Dirk

Previous

Return to General Topics