• Advertisement

No More Black Diamond Telemark Bindings

A forum for general discussions.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk, Williamtele

No More Black Diamond Telemark Bindings

Postby smarini » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:33 pm

Black Diamond has stopped production and is out of stock of telemark bindings.
smarini

Re: No More Black Diamond Telemark Bindings

Postby Biff » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:19 pm

".....and so it goes."
The only "normal" people are the ones you don't know.
Biff
Site Admin

Postby Dirk » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:59 am

. . . until one day, all that was left was the Voile Mountaineer three-pin binding. And the circle of life began anew.
Dirk

Postby apingaut » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:10 am

Lack of innovation has really hurt telemark. How long ago was the last real telemark innovation that was more then DIY? G3 Accent/BD 01 are the last ones I can think of... and was over 10 years ago. Then there is the boots, last new mold was maybe the Garmont Voodoo, Scarpa has been piecing together the same mold with new colors for even longer.

All this tele stagnation while the tech binding/boot have gone through at least 2 iterations and is now 1/2 the weight of 10 years ago with no real performance/durability sacrifice.
apingaut

Postby Dirk » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:37 am

Gotta disagree with you, chief. Innovation itself is what killed tele. Hammerheads, Terminators, and fat boards made tele so easy to master it lost the "cool" factor.
Dirk

Postby Biff » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:01 pm

Dirk wrote:Gotta disagree with you, chief. Innovation itself is what killed tele. Hammerheads, Terminators, and fat boards made tele so easy to master it lost the "cool" factor.

And now NTN makes it look like alpine gear....oh no.... I'm starting to sound like Teleman!!!!
The only "normal" people are the ones you don't know.
Biff
Site Admin

Postby Dirk » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:51 pm

Biff wrote:
Dirk wrote:Gotta disagree with you, chief. Innovation itself is what killed tele. Hammerheads, Terminators, and fat boards made tele so easy to master it lost the "cool" factor.

And now NTN makes it look like alpine gear....oh no.... I'm starting to sound like Teleman!!!!

The older we get, the more we all become Teleman. Hmmmpph! Yarggh! GET OFFA MY LAWN!!
Dirk

Postby apingaut » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:10 pm

The current industry growth (which is maybe why BD is droping tele) has been in light and fast. The things you reference really didn't drive much growth, have not widely adopted and are not light nor fast.

In my experience in the northeast wilderness prolly like 50% are still using targas which, I think, is from the 1990s and almost no one is taking a hammerhead up alpine stuff or in the Vermont maples. In contrast I almost never see an AT (pin tech) binding more than a years old because everyone has upgraded, the newer stuff is night and day better than the older.

Now don't get me wrong there have been innovations just it hasn't been widely accepted, made much real market penitration or was a significant improvement.
apingaut

Postby flyingcow » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:08 am

Is it just me, or did they get out of the boot business entirely? I don't see any AT boots on their website either anymore.
Far less perfect than Zim.
flyingcow

Postby wallag » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:47 am

BD no longer makes any ski boots or bindings (tele or AT). They still sell Fritschi AT bindings, but that's always just been on a distribution basis (like the deal they formerly had with Scarpa for ski boots). I think this says less about tele than it does about BD. I suspect they will be out of the ski hardgoods game (with possible exception of their packs) soon.

From my perspective, GOOD RIDDANCE to the BD tele bindings! The 02 was a complete disaster, and the 01 had issues with the spring tubes loosening and was always second best to the Axl for uphill-enabled power bindings. BD could have made a real impact with a Meidjo type system (perhaps in partnership with Fritschi?). Light AND fast AND powerful! Try the Meidjo with a pair of lightweight plastic boots, it really is amazing. That's the kind of innovation I want to see more of.
wallag

Postby RobRox » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:14 am

Glad I have two working pairs of O1 bindings. Hopefully they will last till my 1.5 seasons old T2 Eco boots die.

NTN, TTN or TTS.... (or who knows? )....a bridge to be crossed later.
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
RobRox

Postby rongon » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:31 pm

Perhaps the true heart and soul of telemark skiing is squarely in XCD.

It's so much more fun for me to be on my good ol', chewed up Madshus Annums with first-version Switchbacks when I'm poking around in the woods than on my Voile Vector BCs with SB X2 binders. Like at White Grass, for instance. Or in the Bolton Nordic backcountry. Places like that, ya know? That's where tele really shines, and AT would really suck. IMO, of course.
rongon

Postby flyingcow » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:34 pm

wallag wrote:BD no longer makes any ski boots or bindings (tele or AT). They still sell Fritschi AT bindings, but that's always just been on a distribution basis (like the deal they formerly had with Scarpa for ski boots). I think this says less about tele than it does about BD. I suspect they will be out of the ski hardgoods game (with possible exception of their packs) soon.

From my perspective, GOOD RIDDANCE to the BD tele bindings! The 02 was a complete disaster, and the 01 had issues with the spring tubes loosening and was always second best to the Axl for uphill-enabled power bindings. BD could have made a real impact with a Meidjo type system (perhaps in partnership with Fritschi?). Light AND fast AND powerful! Try the Meidjo with a pair of lightweight plastic boots, it really is amazing. That's the kind of innovation I want to see more of.

I'm with you on this one. BD has been slowly making the move a softgoods focus while keeping their climbing gear business good. I don't think this says anything about heavy tele or XCD.

I'm also with you on the good riddance. I never was happy with BD bindings...or boots. They felt sloppy and floppy. I'd rather have pins or NTN any day of the week.
Far less perfect than Zim.
flyingcow

Postby Chugach001 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:06 pm

The turn is just so much fun. I dont need the corporatist pigs at BD to have more fun skiing than the wanker AT people.
Chugach001

Postby Telemanarcer » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:50 am

BD? Don't think I've ever had anything BD,,,,,Did they make poles?.....Started with 47 mm bindings...er....when the bales flew by my head on more than many occasions knew it was time for something else....Boots....Did they ever make leather?.....Skis....nope....packs...Telepole just got me a pack but don't know what it is except it has easy access...AND two weeks ago Sunday Stannard Mountain had color....Not individual trees.....Snowshoe says he had some crystal structure on the windshield that was mostly dew...but....TM
Telemanarcer

Next

Return to General Topics