• Advertisement

What's your favorite drink?

A forum for general discussions.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk, Williamtele

Re: What's your favorite drink?

Postby Biff » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:35 am

RobRox wrote:
Dirk wrote:Hilarious that a thread about drinking turned into a thread about guns.

I was going to post this photo in the Doldrums thread, but then this one popped up opportunely. I took Thursday off, did some manual labor about the property, and then met a friend to ride the excellent new singletrack at the old Norwich University ski area in Northfield. When I got home I treated myself to a recovery beverage on the deck: Maker's Mark on the rocks and a Heady Topper. I know that's two drinks, not one, but if you call it a Boilermaker it counts. sort of.

The Save The Skeets Campaign will no doubt be relieved that we are back OT...great photo of several refreshments.

You know... with a real tight choke I bet I could blast the shot glass right off that table at 60 yards.... :D
The only "normal" people are the ones you don't know.
Biff
Site Admin

Postby Dirk » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:34 pm

Biff wrote:You know... with a real tight choke I bet I could blast the shot glass right off that table at 60 yards.... :D

Do it, and you owe me a new drink.
Dirk

Postby RobRox » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:59 pm

:lol:
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
RobRox

Postby Telemanarcer » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:09 pm

Definitely could get into sittin on that deck....You must see nature pretty close up Dirk....Teleman
Telemanarcer

Postby Biff » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:09 pm

Talking martinis.... Cold River Gin and a touch of vermouth (and olives of course). It's a very interesting gin.
Biff
Site Admin

Postby Dirk » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:29 am

Telemanarcer wrote:Definitely could get into sittin on that deck....You must see nature pretty close up Dirk....Teleman

We do like our deck. The joists are starting to rot though - I may have a carpentry project on my hands next summer. :(
Dirk

Postby Nurse Ben » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:20 pm

We do like our deck. The joists are starting to rot though - I may have a carpentry project on my hands next summer.

Don't even get me started on wood decks!!

I just finished two weekends of pulling up rotten deck boards, it was awful!

I had so hoped the boards would make it another year, but they rotted through this past Spring.

It's not the cost that irritates me, I don't even mind building a deck, but I totally hate remodels :evil:

But it's done, now on to the remainder of my fix list which includes replacing a window, and door, refinishing the laundry room walls and ceiling, lots of trim, stain, paint. Fortunately all the fixtures are good and the baths/kitchen are fine.

We are going to hire a housekeeper and a yard person for the "selling period", we both work, there just isn't time to keep the house and yard looking good all the time...

Ah, and back on topic, fav hot weather drink is Thai Iced tea, I make it by the jug, add sugar, yum!

Fav new coffee is called Peaberry, we get it from a local roaster, replaced our 50/50 mix of Black Cat and Deadman.
Nurse Ben

Postby Pinnah » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:53 am

Ok, I'll play.

Understand my cheap-skate dirtbag ways go through and through.

In the AM, it's Medaglia D'Oro pumped through a Mr. Coffee espresso maker. Just saying "Mr. Coffee" and "espresso" in the same sentance is wrong. Yes, the coffee is among the cheapest espressos but I expect it in the morning. I set it up while the lab rolls around on the carpet waking up, take out for her morning crap and then come into shave with my espresso. Second before heading to work.

During the day, it's water or tea. Speaking of tea, I grew up with King Cole from the maritimes. Stuff can remove surface rust from old bike parts. We've settled on Irish PG Tips, which we can get locally more easily. Only reason to drink Lipton or worse, Tetley is when I absolutely have no option to head off the cafine withdrawal headache.

A couple of times a week, I'll pick up a pint of ale. We keep the house dry,as a rule, drinking only what we bring home that evening. Sort of a guardrail against excess.

Wild Turkey 101 is the flask for hiking or whenever.
Dave "Pinnah" Mann
Pinnah

Postby Nurse Ben » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:20 am

We keep the house dry,as a rule, drinking only what we bring home that evening. Sort of a guardrail against excess.

Wild Turkey 101 is the flask for hiking or whenever.

Right, like it's a treat, only drink excessively when you're in a place where the fall is "softer" :lol:

I had a job interview for Washington State, they had questions for me about how I prescribe, etc... So they ask me how I will deal with the following scenario:

"Medical marijuana is now legal in Washington State. How will you deal with someone who tells you that Marijuana is the only thing that works for treating their XYZ?"

Gee, I guess I'd give it to them :roll:
Nurse Ben

Postby oldschool » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:03 am

Biff wrote:
RobRox wrote:
Dirk wrote:Hilarious that a thread about drinking turned into a thread about guns.

I was going to post this photo in the Doldrums thread, but then this one popped up opportunely. I took Thursday off, did some manual labor about the property, and then met a friend to ride the excellent new singletrack at the old Norwich University ski area in Northfield. When I got home I treated myself to a recovery beverage on the deck: Maker's Mark on the rocks and a Heady Topper. I know that's two drinks, not one, but if you call it a Boilermaker it counts. sort of.

The Save The Skeets Campaign will no doubt be relieved that we are back OT...great photo of several refreshments.

You know... with a real tight choke I bet I could blast the shot glass right off that table at 60 yards.... :D

OK - so I was searching for anything about "recovery" in the forum as I have a shoulder problem that has become persistent - some issue in the joint and basically I'm looking for any info about supplements like chondroitin, etc. that people may have found help along recovery in old age. I think I somehow got this from getting back into climbing in our local gym with the difficulty that 20 years has added about 40+ pounds to pull up and now my shoulder hurts when I rotate it - I can bail off the climbing for the summer and my fly fishing is only intermittent so hopefully that will allow some progress to happen. Any suggestions for over the counter therapeutics would be appreciated.

Figured this tread I found though would be apropos for our off season diversions - here are some of my "recovery" drinks in some semblance of an order of priority, maybe -

Beer - current commercially or locally available choices are so ridiculously plentiful that the focus just keeps changing so there's always a new one to try. A store along the way to our summer cabin in PA sells 12 packs of Moosehead - for some reason I have come to enjoy the hoppy balance of that beer quite a bit and try to make sure that there's always at least one cold one waiting in the fridge for me when I arrive and open up the cabin for a stay (alternatively, a few experiments have proven that the middle couple beers in a chilled 12 pack will stay nicely cold for the remaining 80 minutes from the store to our place. Other beers that work for me depend on the season a bit of course, IPAs and the like in the summer - Ithaca Flower Power is a nice one - Sierra Nevada's Otra Ves is a decent commercial Gose style. After biking a nice homemade radler made from some cheap pilsner and lemonade is often really thirst quenching. Winter time it's darker stuff like Lake Placid Ubu or some of our local Imperial Stouts.

Rum - A friend introduced me to Captain Morgan Spiced Rum (the black one) - actually pretty nice and goes well in other stuff, including chocolate milk (more a cool weather thing).

Tequila - margarita is always a reasonable recovery drink - bonus of salt replacement too if I get it at a bar

Gin - not much for martinis but G&T in the summer is a nice change of pace. Local artisinal gins can be good - Meyer Farm from the Finger Lakes area is really good. For cheap stuff my local liquor store sells something called Gray's Peak which is not too bad - Gibley's or whatever is would be the other choice for that. Fever Tree tonics are pretty nice if you want to splurge for that part of it.

Whiskey - Not much for whiskey. I used to drink scotch years ago and like one every now and then. A Scottish climbing pal from back in the day introduced me to a few different ones and I would say my favorite of all is Glenkinchie - it is a lowland malt and quite smooth, a bit grassy in a nice way. And yes, Maker's Malt is pleasant enough as well -
oldschool
oldschool

Postby Biff » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:45 am

Wow, a blast from the past. Whatever happened to Nurse Ben? Did we ban him?

Anyway... my new favorite drink is Jamesons "cask". I am actually enjoying it more than scotch.

Another nice summer drink is Pussers rum and tonic. And of course Tangeray gin and tonic. Hard to beat that on a hot day.

And still making my margaritas. Have a little blender now and add ice and strawberries.

Of course with my brand new heard condition I'm not supposed to drink... ha.
Biff
Site Admin

Postby Dirk » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:01 am

Ahhhh! Nurse Ben PTSD!!

I can't remember if we banned him or he just went away. Anyhoo, I really like Trapp Helles in the summertime. And Zero Gravity Conehead - hoppy, but not in an annoying way. Zero Gravity also has a low-gravity Berliner Weisse with a nice sour finish, for those hot days when you're ultimately going to have to drive somewhere.
Dirk

Postby oldschool » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:42 pm

I forgot one on my list - wines - white would be Vinho Verde or Sauvigon Blanc. Graves is a nice french one that is mineraly and dry and light. I tend to go for reds and my daughter picked up a nice drink in Spain - Tinto Verano - basically it is red wine mixed with Fanta Limon. Here you can sub the Lemon or Grapefruit flavored San Pelligrinos - mix to your taste - very nice.
oldschool
oldschool

Postby RobRox » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:58 am

No changes here.
Aberfeldy 12 for Scotch
The Tyrconnell or Knappouge Castle 12 for Irish
Aged Grappa always appeals
Many beers of NE suit me very well, but the Sours do not appeal.
Big Zins rule, but many other reds are nice
Big, greasy Chardonnay for the whites, with a special nod to Gewürztraminer, especially tha late harverst types

We have a special fondness for dinners with Egri Bikkaver at our house. Tokaji Aszu 5 puttonyos is right up there with offerings from Sauternes and the Rhine, but we can't afford the top shelf, so 3 puttonyos is more typical at our table
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
RobRox

Postby Biff » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:14 pm

Yea, todays "local" IPA's are for the most part just awesome, but I just cannot get into the sours. My neighbor across the street is one of the brewers at Boothbay Brewery and he brings over all the new brews they are working on. He and my other neighbors all seem to love the sour ales and beers. They marvel at the citrus and apple tastes but I just cant get into it at all.
Biff
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Topics