• Advertisement

What's your favorite drink?

A forum for general discussions.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk, Williamtele

What's your favorite drink?

Postby Nurse Ben » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:48 pm

Yeah, it's OT, but we all gotta drink, so what's yours??

My wife, she likes beer. Everyone has a diffent idea of what "like" really entails, well my wife is pretty clear on this one: If I could drink beer all day without being wasted, I'd do it!"

Yeah, she likes beer :roll:

My tastes run a little more on the milktoast side of life, a good coffee at least once a morning, sweet tea when it's hot, hot tea when it's cold, milk and sugar in all of the above.

Yeah, I'm the DD pretty much for life :mrgreen:
Nurse Ben

Re: What's your favorite drink?

Postby Biff » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:25 am

I'm with you... coffee would have to be my number one fav. In the evening these days... if it's hot I go to Margarettas (3 parts tequila, two parts lime and one part triple sec). I'll also do Margaretta variations using gin (Tangurey) or vodka (Stoli) . On colder evenings it's scotch or bourbon. Last night it was a glass of Balvanie and a Jesus Fuego cigar. AND I beat the wife at backgammon. A good night!
The only "normal" people are the ones you don't know.
Biff
Site Admin

Postby Telemanarcer » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:38 am

Green Mountain Roasters....Nantucket blend.....am....maple syrup and light cream....Yeeaahh...Teleman
Telemanarcer

Postby RobRox » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:22 am

All of the above, excepting that the Dunkies blends are not faves, plus I adore a truly nice cup of tea (most kinds) and pretty much always have a hankering for G&T, Whiskey and Soda, Hot Toddy, Aranciata, Aranciata Rossa, Limonatta, Pompelmo, Moxie, good Grappa, Chip's excellent 'shine, tasty wine (most kinds), heady Ale and smokey Porter... the list is long. A very good thing too!

The advantage of having so many favorites, it's rare to find disappointment, wherever I happen to be. The disadvantage is that, all too frequently, many are available at the same place and then I have to make a harder choice.
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
RobRox

Postby Bern » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:25 am

For myself, the favorite varies with the seasons, phase of the moon, current mood and availability. Among the favorites: Newcastle Brown Ale; single malt scotch; Earl Gray tea and a custom blend of tea called Russian Caravan from a company in Poughkeepsie; cool water from a hand dug well; and of course good coffee.

There are many ways to prepare good coffee. Here is one way from when I was a boy. First, my grandfather would pick the coffee beans, (this was in the mountains of Puerto Rico). Then they were dried and eventually roasted and ground. Ground coffee is then added to boiling water and filtered. When ready to make coffee, grandpa would milk the cow. I would take some of that milk into the house where my mom would heat it to boiling. Milk was poured into a cup followed by a quantity of brewed coffee. This is very strong coffee so only about half an ounce or so is needed. My favorite cup was half a coconut shell. This style of coffee will set you up right for the coming day.
Life is complex - it has real and imaginary parts

You can observe a lot by looking. Yogi Berra
Bern

Postby Biff » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:14 am

Bern wrote:For myself, the favorite varies with the seasons, phase of the moon, current mood and availability. Among the favorites: Newcastle Brown Ale; single malt scotch; Earl Gray tea and a custom blend of tea called Russian Caravan from a company in Poughkeepsie; cool water from a hand dug well; and of course good coffee.

There are many ways to prepare good coffee. Here is one way from when I was a boy. First, my grandfather would pick the coffee beans, (this was in the mountains of Puerto Rico). Then they were dried and eventually roasted and ground. Ground coffee is then added to boiling water and filtered. When ready to make coffee, grandpa would milk the cow. I would take some of that milk into the house where my mom would heat it to boiling. Milk was poured into a cup followed by a quantity of brewed coffee. This is very strong coffee so only about half an ounce or so is needed. My favorite cup was half a coconut shell. This style of coffee will set you up right for the coming day.

Bern...I think you win for at least a few catagories "Most unusual coffee preperation" and "Most unusual childhood".... Granddad picked the coffee beans and then milked the cow. You took the milk in and mom boiled it. Then it was added to coffee so strong that only about a half ounce was needed. Then you drank it all down in a coconut shell... I love it!!:)
Biff
Site Admin

Postby Bern » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:06 pm

I was born in New York City but did live in PR several times. My grand fathers was a fine man. All my family were or are fine people that I'm proud of. My grand dad's name was Peter but the cow had no name. She fell off the mountain and was killed. I grew up surrounded by animals which is the best way as connections with the rest of the planet are self evident.

I had a pet chicken then whose name was Joanna and she was a Rhode Island Red. She was a fine handsome, brave and robust bird. Brave too. Most people don't think much about chickens except whether to french fry or bake. But my bird was big and beautiful with an excellent disposition. She followed me everywhere and had no interest in the other chickens. I recently learned that nearby in the town of Adamsville, where the breed was developed, there is a monument to the Rhode Island Red. When I ride my bike past the monument I always tip my hat in her memory.
Life is complex - it has real and imaginary parts

You can observe a lot by looking. Yogi Berra
Bern

Postby Biff » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:26 pm

Awful sorry to hear about the cow. Bummer.

Yea I raise chickens and have had Rhode Island Reds. Good laying birds. Do my best not to give them names or get too attached as, between foxes, skunks and raccoons, their lives are not all that long. Plus sometimes I need to kill them and it's a lot tougher when you get personal. That said, I did have one chicken, a very pretty Ancona, that used to follow me around and was constantly brooding in very unusual places. It would brood in the garage and despite all my efforts always seemed to find a way to get in. It also laid eggs all over the property. Finding her eggs was like a constant easter egg hunt. I named her Psycho Chicken. A fox finally got her. I got even a month later when, coming back from shooting at a skeet match, I climbed out of my truck to hear a great chicken commotion. Low and behold, there in front of me was the fox chasing the chickens. And there I was with my skeet gun under my arm and a pocket full of shells. Lock, load and BAM... Mr. Fox went ten feet in the air with a rump filled with #9 shot.
Biff
Site Admin

Postby RobRox » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:57 pm

Good shooting! I hoist a half of TJ's Vintage Ale to your quick thinking.

...full choke, right?
RobRox

Postby Biff » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:05 pm

RobRox wrote:Good shooting! I hoist a half of TJ's Vintage Ale to your quick thinking.

...full choke, right?

No, no time to change chokes. I had been shooting skeet so it was either cylinder or skeet choke. Between that and the #9 shot it would only be a nuisance shot. He probably went home that night, showed his butt to the missus and asked "Hon, could you take a look at my ass, it really hurts...". When I have time to take out a troublesome fox I will use a mod or full choke and #5 shot. If I have to shoot a critter I prefer a good quick kill shot to just wounding. I had a beaver in my pond this winter and did every thing to chase him out... but no. He had to stay for the spring and had dug all sorts of holes into the bank. The horses started caving in the holes and it got to the point I was afraid they would break a leg. I finally had to shoot the damn thing. No fun at all. I used my Remington 1100 with a full choke and #5 shot. Next time I'm using my 410 with a slug.
Biff
Site Admin

Postby RobRox » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:59 pm

Always liked a 410. Earned one, Over and Under, with my shortie .22, plinking woodchucks. Gramps paid 50 cents apiece. 410 was as tall as me.
RobRox

Postby Biff » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:41 am

RobRox wrote:Always liked a 410. Earned one, Over and Under, with my shortie .22, plinking woodchucks. Gramps paid 50 cents apiece. 410 was as tall as me.

A 410 is a great little gun but tough for target shooting. I know why it's a starter shotgun for kids (No recoil) but it's got to be frustrating for them to hit targets. Then again, if you can hit targets with a 410 and all 60 or so pellets then imagine what you will do with a 12 G and 400 pellets. Do you still have that 410 O/U? Bet it was fixed full/Mod?

.... but back to drinking... No drinking and shooting.
Biff
Site Admin

Postby Telemanarcer » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:09 am

And....Green Mouyntain Roasters have good coffee.....However I'd like some of Bern's PR coffee.....Had some Blue Mountain coffee years back....Pretty good stuff...Teleman
Telemanarcer

Postby Dirk » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:41 am

Hilarious that a thread about drinking turned into a thread about guns.

I was going to post this photo in the Doldrums thread, but then this one popped up opportunely. I took Thursday off, did some manual labor about the property, and then met a friend to ride the excellent new singletrack at the old Norwich University ski area in Northfield. When I got home I treated myself to a recovery beverage on the deck: Maker's Mark on the rocks and a Heady Topper. I know that's two drinks, not one, but if you call it a Boilermaker it counts. sort of.

Dirk

Postby RobRox » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:05 am

Dirk wrote:Hilarious that a thread about drinking turned into a thread about guns.

I was going to post this photo in the Doldrums thread, but then this one popped up opportunely. I took Thursday off, did some manual labor about the property, and then met a friend to ride the excellent new singletrack at the old Norwich University ski area in Northfield. When I got home I treated myself to a recovery beverage on the deck: Maker's Mark on the rocks and a Heady Topper. I know that's two drinks, not one, but if you call it a Boilermaker it counts. sort of.

The Save The Skeets Campaign will no doubt be relieved that we are back OT...great photo of several refreshments.
RobRox

Next

Return to General Topics