• Advertisement

Game on!

A forum for general discussions.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk, Williamtele

Re: Game on!

Postby Bob T » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:20 am

Last night we spent a solid hour clearing slash from one of my favorite trails now that a logging operation has finished. A nearby bridge.
Bob T

Postby RobRox » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:33 pm

Toured in The Zone today. Noticed that the cover is getting deep at the sweet spot...almost 7.5 feet.
This way to the waterfall line
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
RobRox

Postby Bob T » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:47 pm

I'm feeling the impending doom of the limited life of the dry snow. 7.5' deep is seriously deep though so maybe it's time to head north.

The work we did two evenings ago. Ruby is tired just thinking about it.

This afternoon.

Whoops!
Bob T

Postby oldschool » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:59 am

Hey Bob and Rob,

Love your posts - I'm sorry I'm not a bigger picture logger. You guys really get to hit some great skiing in your local areas. There's a decent amount of backcountry around here but I need to commit to some of the work that you guys are doing and prep some private areas for myself when there is enough snow. Because we don't have real mountains locally here, it's about the side hill terrain and so the focus for a long time has been E99 skiing or the like and mellow longer touring. I need to re-engage with some skinning and wider skis I think.

Been a weird year - couple of super cold stretches plus some work and family commitments really cut into getting out much at all to XC. Spent last two days introducing a work colleague to my downhill tele homes - Gore and Whiteface. We did a half day at Gore ripping the afternoon hard to cover as much of the mountain for his first time as possible. Did the drive to Placid and spent yesterday at Whiteface with solidly good conditions. Good fun there too. Long 4.5 hour drive home but fun skiing as my buddy is an expert skier on downhill boards so for me it's a game of keep up with them.

Hope the warm up we're getting doesn't trash stuff too much.

Keep up the good work!
oldschool
oldschool

Postby Bob T » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:49 am

Thanks oldschool. We'd be remiss to not mention Dirk who has had a stellar bc skiing season and whose posts I'm super envious of!

I can't believe I'm at my desk right now. Last of the dry snow is giving up the ghost! West side of Moosilauke looks sooooo inviting!
Bob T

Postby Dirk » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:13 pm

Thanks Bob. My wife just texted me in the office from the mountain, she says "the snow is soft, the sun is shining, and I have the gondola to myself." She sure knows how to rub it in!
Dirk

Postby RobRox » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:58 pm

Dirk wrote:Thanks Bob. My wife just texted me in the office from the mountain, she says "the snow is soft, the sun is shining, and I have the gondola to myself." She sure knows how to rub it in!
Zing!
They always know that........
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
RobRox

Postby Bob T » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:31 am

The bc snow conditions are kinda miserable. At least what I've tested which admittedly is a small sample. An inch or two of styrofoam on sugar. Not happy for man or 60lb beast. OK for 30lb beast.

I've taken to snow machine trails trying to stay in shape for corn or more fresh. Thursday night, half moon, no headlamp was delightful. Quote of the evening while bombing down an icy hill was "I sure hope there's nothing fallen across this trail!" Everyone should ski by moonlight. :mrgreen:

Yesterday I announced to my darling beloved that I needed her help dropping the hounds and I off at a snow machine trail north of here. Thankfully, she's always enthusiastic about getting us out of the house. Ruby points the way.

This trail goes for 10+ miles through my town. We did 6. What an amazing resource and only saw two snow machines.

Periodically joins roads for short stretches.

I have an order in with the guy who runs this sugaring operation. Yum.

Proud moment. Controlled butt-first crash before the trail ran out from a steep hill onto this road. The Twisted Tea bottle was there already. Really.

One of the highlights of the tour was watching Cooper, the 30lb dog, chase this 100lb+ English Mastiff up his driveway. He came down afterwards and everyone was friendly in an I seriously outweigh you sort of way.
Bob T

Postby Dirk » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:34 pm

St. Patrick's Day with the grandson at Mad River Glen. The groomers skied very nicely, but everything else was pretty god-awful. You can't quite read this sign at the top of Gazelle, but it says "Just because it's open doesn't guarantee it's fun." Gotta love that Mad River sense of humor.

Dirk

Postby Bob T » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:17 am

Classic MRG tellitlikeitis. :)

From this morning's dog walk.
Bob T

Postby freedan » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:12 am

Since Photobucket went pay to play, I haven't posted but have enjoyed the pictures and updates of those of you that do. Decided to figure out new photo hosting and post as I think this may be of interest to some of you.

The Luxe Megahorn Tipi and Wild Wild West (3W) Titanium stove weigh in at 13lbs together and provides an incredible winter camping experience. The titanium stove only weighs 4lbs and packs down to just a bit bigger than a large laptop. The tent offers spacious and warm sleeping for up to 3 comfortably. Digging into deep snow allows for building of sleeping benches that double as comfortable seats and the ability to stand up and walk around and dress without doing yoga poses. The tent without digging is about 7' at the center pole. The tent has flaps around the base that can be buried to make it very weatherproof and the peak vent can be configured for more or less airflow. At 13lbs for the whole rig, it isn't much more weight than a decent 4 season tent. I first tried it out in the yard on a -10 night with howling wind and was able to keep the tent above 50F for the 5 hours or so I was out there. In these pictures from a recent ski trip it was in the 20s at night and as long as the stove was going it was 60 inside. Go to sleep warm, wake up fire up the stove and the tent is warm in minutes. A big plus was no condensation, everything, even the tent walls were completely dry.

A big pack but no different than a usual winter pack.

Camping on the headwaters of the Black River (Madshus BC55 with Voile HD and Fischer BCX boots for the ski geeks).

Build a platform with some firewood, cover it with foil to prevent stove from melting into the snow

Imagine winter camping and being able to hang out in the evening, no hat, no gloves, without a 8000m down suit or mummied up in a sleeping bag!
freedan

Postby Bob T » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:43 am

Freedan is in the house! And it's heated! Hey Dan, good to hear from you. Hope all is well in your neck of the woods. Nice setup! Thanks for the details. Looked around and see it's $420 for the stove and $300 for the tent. Would make a fantastic base camp for the Pemi, etc.

Glad to hear photo posting is worked out. Would be good to get some other folks posting. Force us regulars to up our game!

Second super moon tour of the season last night. Same Butterfield loop. Skied the orchard which had a supportive crust. This is a happy datapoint for local adventures with bigger skis after the approaching storm refreshes things.

Bob T

Postby freedan » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:43 am

Thanks Bob, all is well, hope same for you. Been a great winter on the Tug and all over the Adirondacks. I believe there is a package price when buying tent and stove together. The tent is modular in that the basic tent is floorless and doors have bug netting. There are bath tub floors and screened sleeping areas that can be added.
freedan

Postby telehubby » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:30 am

Welcome back Freedan! I've been missing your deep posts from Tug Hill. Nice BC set up too.

I've been working my way back from the plague and I couldn't pass up yesterday's gift from Ullr.
Family ski day at Cannon for the morning. Word was 16"-19" at Cannon. Both sons ended up ditching us for friends- as it should be. Son the Younger got first tracks in Candyland and we got 2nd, 3rd and 4th tracks in Goldenbirches before Son the Elder ditched us.

For the past five years I've been on the working group/management team for the Cooley-Jericho Community Forest as a town rep and backcountry skiing liaison. The Ammonoosuc Conservation Trust holds the easement for the towns of Franconia, Easton, Landaff, and Sugar Hill. We are working in partnership with Granite Backcountry Alliance to create some glade zones on the property. Initial scouting has been done with a proposal mapped out. If all goes well we should enter a MOU this week and we'll be off and running. I spent yesterday afternoon scoping one particular zone that needs little work but should be extended to justify the skin in.
Skin track up was a chance to visit with some friends.
Image Image

First contact with the zone. Looking up.
Looking down.
Skinned up to close to the top. About 2500'. Just below a pinch point.
Close to top. Looking down at the pinch point.
I got about 300' of vertical and then wandered around to find an extension. Beautiful terrain!
Found options for extension but more reconnaissance is needed. Crossing tracks on the way out.
View from the skin track. Cannon, Tuckerbrook and Bridal Veil center right.
The whole 850 acres was logged over a period of a few years before the sale so most of the canopy is gone. The zone pictured here is from an area where access was too difficult for the loggers so it wasn't cut. There is another proposed "glade" zone that would have about 700' vert but would be more like an old CCC trail, brush cutting a couple of skidder trails. Over time it could be opened up as the canopy filled in. I'm really excited that this project could get underway this summer after five years of work.
telehubby

Postby Bob T » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:10 pm

Package price noted, freedan. Tempting. Especially because if I bought it I'd have to use it!

telehubby, good to hear the snow is healing you. Most definitely a gift. Hope you're at or close to 100%.
Congrats on the imminent MOU. Just looked at sat pics of that forest and wowee, it is super crossed up with skid paths. I imagine we should follow Trumpet Round Rd. until the plowing stops, find the kiosk, and follow your skin track south. Would love to check out that glade and the ridge in general.

Our crew is storm stoked. First order of business was to wear the dogs out Friday cuz they couldn't come along Saturday. We laid in a skin track on the approach I needed the next day. This is Ruby's idea of breaking trail.

A mile out and a mile back

Saturday morning. A bit drifted over, but much easier than breaking trail.

Bizarre snagged birch bark strip that looked like surveyor's tape from a distance.

Up and up into the magic.

New snow depth.

A bit wind buffed, but wonderful nonetheless.

Today with the dogs.

Field fix of a broken mid-sole ladder using a cuff strap.

Bob T

PreviousNext

Return to General Topics