• Advertisement

Game on!

A forum for general discussions.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk, Williamtele

Game on!

Postby Dirk » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:48 pm

We finally picked up some snow, and the past two days have been delightful. Bolton seems to have the best coverage, and besides, they don't boot skinners off the hill pre-season like some other mountains. Here we are heading up the Wilderness uptrack.

Manny topping out under the Wilderness chair. That's Mount Mansfield in the distance.

I went back this morning, and it was still good, if a little windblown. More snow Tuesday!

Dirk

Re: Game on!

Postby Bob T » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:32 pm

Fantastic Dirk! That’s a lot of snow. So glad to see this.

Pre-game contribution. From the lofty heights of Mt Eustis yesterday evening. Prezis shining in the distance.
Bob T

Postby Biff » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:36 am

Nice Dirk. And so it begins.
The only "normal" people are the ones you don't know.
Biff
Site Admin

Postby benny » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:51 pm

Well done, Dirk.

Cross your fingers that this early winter persists.
benny

Postby telehubby » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:21 am

Love that shot of Mt. Eustis Bob! It's in nice shape now and the locals tracked it up good this week.
telehubby

Postby oldschool » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:50 am

From the Western Lands -- Connections

Went out yesterday to make the connections once again - I try to get out to our local park/catchment basin in the city here to make a little loop of about a mile or mile and a half, whatever it is, to check the box of that location for the year and remind myself of what I enjoy in life and why I look forward to this season. We got a dump on Thurs. evening of about 8 to 10 inches here - very wet heavy snow. Of course Friday turned out to be a stupid busy work day for me at the close of a generally exhausting week, so I failed to roll out of bed early that day. Saturday morning rolls around and the slow melt down of 34-36 degrees has been on and it's getting thinner but still well covered. The picture below shows my kit for messing around on a moment's notice - my regular poles, and a pair of no-wax touring skis I was given by my late neighbor. We moved into our house here 19 years ago and he was our neighbor and became our good friend until last fall when a year and a half decline after a broken hip along with prostate cancer ended a long and amazing life at 92. Five years ago he had still been going strong making a mile plus hike or commuting to his lake house/cabin in a john boat with a pull start motor by himself. The skis in the picture were some that I think he bought during a trip to Sweden or Norway and had in the basement. For all I know, he might have been using them into his 60's. I still think of him a lot and skiing on those skis now provides another connection. These days I often don't ski very fast - if I'm with other folks sure, but for this kind of tramp it's more of a snow-shoe than any kind of sustained kick and glide effort. Of course there were little downhill shots to be tried and the odd turn around a tree to gain the feel and balance once again that I enjoy so much. Another connection being to my youth when I discovered the sport with friends, bought my own skis and used to do my homework after dinner and then put a pair of Haugen-Sunfjords on, wool socks and wool knickers, Asnes wood Tur-Langren skis over my shoulder and walked to the end of my block to put them on and work my way through some field edges and woods trails into the orchards near my house to ski that by moonlight for an hour or two. Finally, it's a connection to all the good folks here who share this passion in it's different forms. Have a great holiday -

IMG_0821.JPG
IMG_0821.JPG (180.17 KiB) Viewed 444 times
oldschool
oldschool

Postby flyingcow » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:24 pm

Trapps didn't suck

Far less perfect than Zim.
flyingcow

Postby Bob T » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:56 pm

Like your report, oldschool.

Bob T

Postby Go Fish » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:48 pm

I'm really jealous of you folks that have found a way to make it work a thousand or so feet higher and a hundred or so miles north of where I live.

We are slated for a couple of inches of slush tonight. Real snow won't be here for another month.

Until the little hill in my back yard is ski-able, I will be wishing I was closer to where you live.
Go Fish

Postby Brenda » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:41 pm

Woo Hoo!! Love seeing these pictures! Rider.Steve and I got the Epic pass for a Colorado trip in Feb, so we'll be at Stowe on Thanksgiving and probably Friday as well, so if anyone will be there, give a shout! I can't wait.
Brenda

Postby Bob T » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:17 am

Last night tooling around in the fluff. Glad it's about to get cold - snow's a bit sticky.

This morning.

Bob T

Postby Dirk » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:00 pm

Love that shot of the barn, Bob.
Dirk

Postby North816 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:27 am

hojo's up to 37 inches....winter's wrath seems especially focused on Agiocochook and the Presis this year....already 44 inches this month after 50+ last month, another storm on the way....the way it should be!
North816

Postby RobRox » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:41 pm

Wednesday, I nabbed a couple of early season runs in southern NH:
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
RobRox

Postby Bob T » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:50 pm

Glad you like the barn, Dirk. It likes to be photographed.

Get some, Roberto!

Scenes from the last few days/nights. Actually bc skied a bit, as in through the woods and turns and stuff.

Bob T

Next

Return to General Topics