• Advertisement

MTB and Roadies - 2018

A forum for general discussions.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk, Williamtele

Re: MTB and Roadies - 2018

Postby RobRox » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:37 pm

Seems like a very satisfactory development.

Took a 14 miler today, started with 26/29. Seems perfect for the rear but the front was just a mite too compliant, making me nervous. My recent start at 27/30 was a game changer, but not perfect. I'll go with 27/29 for the future.
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
RobRox

Postby MikeK » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:30 pm

You might want to try an even spread i.e. 27/27. No one says you can't, and in fact, a lot of pro racers run equal pressures. Sure, it doesn't match your static weight balance, but how often are you actually using your static weight balance other than coasting on smooth surfaces?

Also, I run a wider front tire than rear, so naturally I can run lower pressures and support the same weight. If I had equal width front and rear my corrected pressures would be closer to equal f/r.

I prefer a wider front tire for a couple reasons - when you are climbing (seated), you transfer a lot of weight to the rear, so its effective contact patch is less and you pay very little if any penalty in RR. When you go down, a lot of times you will have more load on the front - this gives more cushion, more grip and shifts the balance of the bike so that the rear is more likely to slide before the front - not always the case, but does give a less "washy" bike setup.

So anyway, long story short... adjust as necessary
MikeK

Postby oldschool » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:00 am

[quote="MikeK"]Image

That looks nice but where's the bigger ring that belongs in the front?? :lol:
oldschool
oldschool

Postby MikeK » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:38 am

oldschool wrote:That looks nice but where's the bigger ring that belongs in the front?? :lol:

This bike won't even let you do that :!:

No matter though, the only double track it sees is climbing back to a trailhead. And I can go plenty fast enough though the woods with the gearing it has!

Both my bikes are 1X and I ride my other one on paved and gravel bike paths. I have it geared a little bit higher and it's not an issue. I can only spin it out going down hills.
MikeK

Postby Dirk » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:33 pm

RobRox wrote:Seems like a very satisfactory development.

Took a 14 miler today, started with 26/29. Seems perfect for the rear but the front was just a mite too compliant, making me nervous. My recent start at 27/30 was a game changer, but not perfect. I'll go with 27/29 for the future.

Seriously Rob? I've never seen a bike pump that could accurately differentiate down to a pound of PSI. You may be overthinking this a tad.
Dirk

Postby MikeK » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:19 pm

Dirk wrote:
RobRox wrote:Seems like a very satisfactory development.

Seriously Rob? I've never seen a bike pump that could accurately differentiate down to a pound of PSI. You may be overthinking this a tad.

I use an external gauge which is fairly repeatable. No idea the absolute precision, it may be off a pound or two, but I know what works for me on that scale.

Anyway, I can certainly distinguish a psi when I'm in the 20s with tubeless tires. Higher pressures you need more of a change to notice, but 1-2 psi is pretty significant. I actually destroyed a wheel a bit from running a psi too low (and botching a jump).
MikeK

Postby RobRox » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:52 pm

I use the same pump every time, as long as the pump and its guage are consistent the numbers are reliable in terms of that pump. Perhaps there is a digital meter that can be certified but I do not care to get that serious about it.
RobRox

Postby MikeK » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:18 pm

Digital-schmigital...

https://www.jensonusa.com/Meiser-Accu-G ... Z8QAvD_BwE

30 psi range. Works great for any of your XC tubeless tire applications.
MikeK

Postby RobRox » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:43 pm

Hummmmm
Decisions, decisions...
RobRox

Postby MikeK » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:13 pm

Given the current state of MTB tires, get the 30. The gauge on the pump is plenty precise enough for road bike tires.
MikeK

Postby MikeK » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:31 pm

Got a few rides under my belt on the new bike...

It seems good, and for the most part I am happy with it, but what I've found strange is that I'm going faster, but I don't really feel like I am. I suspected it was mostly climbing faster but today I also set a PR on a DH only section and I felt not as fast as I have been in the past.

I honestly don't care much about times and ave speed and all that, I'm more interested in fun factor. I'm trying to decide if this bike is really more fun than the one it replaced. Perhaps if you have to think about that, it's not. It's definitely fun, but more fun? I don't know. It's certainly a lot more money and it was a PITA to get going. If it weren't for my warranty woes I would have never done this... but also in the back of my mind I wonder if I should have got a full squish? Would that have been "more fun"? I tend to think they make terrain less fun and easier, but I dunno...
MikeK

Postby capecodtele » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:11 am

I think the full suspension fun factor depends a lot on the terrain you ride. I have both a full suspension 29er and a fully rigid singlespeed 29er and each can be really fun depending on where you are riding and each can be a detriment if used in the wrong application. We have a lot of fast smooth single track with some short punchy ups and downs which is a perfect application for the fully rigid singlespeed....it rips up short climbs and with the smooth trails you don't miss the shock, but put it where there are a lot of roots and rocks, especially on a down hill section, and you will get vibrated to death and bounce around to where you don't feel safe. For what I ride mostly I could probably be fine with a hardtail but as I get older the full suspension takes some of the harshness off long rides where there is a lot of roots and rocks. Mine does not have a lot of travel (100 in the front and 80 in the rear) so it is not a detriment on climbs and I run the rear lock out if I am on smooth terrain.
capecodtele

Postby MikeK » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:24 am

Yeah, I totally get that philosophy, and kind of where I am.

I have a rigid (but geared) steel bike that is my "hybrid". I ride it on bike paths and stuff, but it's also really fun on our more flowy singletrack. I sometimes opt for my hardtail on that stuff though because we have a lot of alternate jump lines, and the hardtails jump better (mostly due to geometry).

Anyway, I didn't get the full suss because we don't have a lot of super chunky descents. There are some that rattle me on the HT for a few sections of blown out roots and man-made rock gardens, but if I'm on my game I can time them and float them well. A full susser I'd just plow through them... probably a bit faster, but the challenge would be gone.

I like full sussers off big drops too, but we only have a couple that are big enough to really make it seem more necessary, and I hit them on the HT.

Most of our stuff is short descents with punchy climbs, so having a bike that can get up and go up steep stuff is nice too. I def feel better on a lighter bike on that. It seems every little obstacle is easier to negotiate.

There's a couple places I ride south of here where I'd like to have a nice pedally FS bike. It's just because it's relatively flat, but really rooty and rocky and riding a HT is tiring on that stuff because you have to do a lot of getting up and down to negotiate that stuff. So I'd almost like more of a XC focused FS bike if I had the choice.
MikeK

Postby MikeK » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:43 pm

OK - today was it. The bike blew me away. It completely annihilates its predecessor (of which it is the direct descendent).

I rode some really twisty, punchy terrain and here's where it showed its cards. It really handles better and the climbs were faster and more fun.

I'm sold.
MikeK

Postby edgeworker » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:14 am

Cranked out 300 miles in the last 3 weeks on my road specific Pugsley. Thing is a beast
Hit it like you`ve got a pair!
edgeworker

PreviousNext

Return to General Topics