• Advertisement

Crickets . . .

A forum for general discussions.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk, Williamtele

Re: Crickets . . .

Postby Dirk » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:54 am

They seem to be more prevalent at lower elevation and in grassy or shrubby environments, rather than mature forest. In my experience, anyway.
Dirk

Postby RobRox » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:28 pm

Thank goodness you were feisty enough to push against such mindless, medical inertia. Best of luck for a full recovery.
Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!
RobRox

Postby Biff » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:32 am

Thanks. I don't want to make it sound like I have some major heart problem and my days are numbered.... It messed up my heart beat giving me an extra beat. The cardiologist put me on beta blockers and, worst of all, took me off of coffee and that seems to be helping. Starbucks de-caf really is not that bad... :D
The only "normal" people are the ones you don't know.
Biff
Site Admin

Postby capecodtele » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:52 am

Yup, ticks are expanding territory all the time....we've had the deer ticks for decades now and I have had several buried in me over the years from mountain biking and have undergone month long antibiotic therapy a couple of times due to symptoms (but have never tested positive for any of the known tick borne illnesses). Now we have a new species here called the Lonestar Tick which one of the maladies it provides is that you become allergic to RED MEAT with varying symptoms to include fever, rash, and gastrointestinal "issues".....fun times...
capecodtele

Postby Dirk » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:22 am

Deep in our hearts, I think we all know that this planet, ultimately, belongs to the arachnids. Humans are but a speed bump on the evolutionary highway.

So go ahead, take a sick day. :D
Dirk

Postby Grant » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:27 am

Biff wrote:Thanks. I don't want to make it sound like I have some major heart problem and my days are numbered.... It messed up my heart beat giving me an extra beat. The cardiologist put me on beta blockers and, worst of all, took me off of coffee and that seems to be helping. Starbucks de-caf really is not that bad... :D

Glad to hear you are doing better, Biff. With that extra heartbeat, do you find yourself clapping on the 1 and the 3 now?
Grant

Postby Biff » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:58 am

Grant wrote:
Biff wrote:Thanks. I don't want to make it sound like I have some major heart problem and my days are numbered.... It messed up my heart beat giving me an extra beat. The cardiologist put me on beta blockers and, worst of all, took me off of coffee and that seems to be helping. Starbucks de-caf really is not that bad... :D

Glad to hear you are doing better, Biff. With that extra heartbeat, do you find yourself clapping on the 1 and the 3 now?

Yea, it's helped my drumming a lot.... :D
Biff
Site Admin

Postby Biff » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:00 pm

Dirk wrote:Deep in our hearts, I think we all know that this planet, ultimately, belongs to the arachnids. Humans are but a speed bump on the evolutionary highway.

So go ahead, take a sick day. :D

Chake thinks that the ticks will ultimately be our "plague".
Biff
Site Admin

Postby Dirk » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:59 pm

Biff wrote:
Grant wrote:

Yea, it's helped my drumming a lot.... :D

Now would be the time to cut a reggae album. "Tick turn I and I into Sly Dunbar!"
Dirk

Postby Bob T » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:12 am

5-ish mile VT - NH loop run/swim from my house. In 10 photos.

passing local D.A.R. - used to be site of VT statehouse until 1829.

Crossing to NH.

NH.

Out of the water back on the VT side.

My favorite part of the loop. A solid half mile of field running up off the river. Later in the season this passage next to the 8' high corn is surreal.

Phew!

Bob T

Postby Dirk » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:39 pm

Great shots, Bob. The attached is a shitty selfie, but nobody's posted in a whole damn week, so I figured I'd generate some content, no matter how mediocre. Anyway, I'm on the porch of a cabin near the top of East Haven Mountain, in about as much the middle of nowhere as you can get in Vermont. Behind me are Umpire Mountain and Burke Mountain. If you squint, you can see East Bowl, one of my favorite trails.

East Haven Mountain is owned by some nice old guy who keeps the trails cleared and lets people hike and camp on it for free. You can rent the cabin, but I was just out for the day, bagging another Vermont 3,000 footer. The beer is Founder's Centennial IPA, which I honestly think is a sub-par brew from an otherwise reliable brewery. But hey, it was on sale.

Dirk

Postby capecodtele » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:55 pm

East Mountain used to be part of a huge loop we used to do when I was younger and was willing to suffer...we would ride up Burke then do stuff in the Kingdom trails then go around the victory area and then end up riding up East Mountain to the summit.....damn those were long hard days....don't really miss it either :lol:
capecodtele

Postby Dirk » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:37 am

Capecodtele, I remember something called the Victory Loop that went around Burke on the CCC Road, up through Victory Bog and around Umpire Mountain back to Burke. Those days are sooo over for me too.
Dirk

Postby capecodtele » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:43 pm

Yeah, I think that is the one....brutal..I'll stick to the Kingdom Trails
capecodtele

Postby benny » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:21 pm

Biff wrote:Speaking of black flies..... Actually, speaking of ticks; I had anaplasmosis last November which was my first tick borne illness. The thing that really gets me about the whole tick borne illness thing is how disquised the illness can be. I think thats the reason so many people get lyme or aniplasmosis and don't know they have it, thus going way too long before being treated thus getting the long term effects that are harder to deal with. I got hit with a monster fever that would come and go plus total exhaustion. When I tried to see a doctor they made an appointment a month down the road and a lot of good that would do. Because of the symptoms and what I had heard from friends who hd caught the illness I ended up driving to the medical center and demanding a blood test. Even then I had to wait a week for results before they would put me on doxi. As it is, even catching it as quickly as I did, I have developed a heart condition thanks to it.

the point being.... these illnesses are rampant so be aware. I have countless friends that have gotten lyme and a few didn't catch it in time and have been suffering the consequences for years.

Sorry to hear of this Biff. While taking doxi, did you experience herx like one can when treating lyme?
Last edited by benny on Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benny

PreviousNext

Return to General Topics