• Advertisement

Looking for a "back country light" ski suggestion

Read reviews and tests of all the newest gear courtesy of Eric Fey and Telemarkdown.
Got some skis you like and want to share the vibe? Tried some skis at a demo and hated them? Cool boots that have a great flex? Share it here. Questions about mounting bindings, waxing and sharpening skis? Ask away...and here is a chance for all the shop geeks out there to show us what they know.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk

Looking for a "back country light" ski suggestion

Postby sciguy1911 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:11 pm

I've recently moved the the space between the Adirondack Mountains and the Tug Hill Plateau. There's a good deal of opportunity here to ski groomed trails as well as untracked wilderness. Earlier this week I skied with a group on a nice 8+ mile trek into Chub Pond, me on my ancient Fischer Air Core waxed skis and most all the other souls sporting waxless BC skis of one sort or another. It didn't take long to see they were usually having more fun on the deep snow narrow section up and down hill parts of the trail. I now find myself shopping for an appropriate setup to increase my level of fun. My current thoughts include- waxless and a good bit shorter than my 215cm Fischers. I'm 6'1" and my weight runs between 170 and the low 180s. I cross country skied a good bit back in my college days 40+ years ago but not much since so I'd rate myself as an advanced beginner to intermediate level. I'm looking for a good setup at a reasonable price, hoping that skis begin to go on sale this time of year.

Thanks for any informed replies.

Hugh
sciguy1911

Re: Looking for a "back country light" ski suggestion

Postby flyingcow » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:20 pm

Personally, I'm a huge fan of Fischer's current BC skis. When I replace my Rossignol BC70's, I'll be getting either the Fischer 78's or 88's. My bigger "light" BC skis are Madschus Annums. Their skinnier skis are also fantastic workhorses, but I find them a hair tougher to turn.
Far less perfect than Zim.
flyingcow

Postby Go Fish » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:09 am

I have a pair of Rossignol BC90s for this sort of thing and I love them.
Go Fish

Postby sciguy1911 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:31 am

flyingcow wrote: My bigger "light" BC skis are Madschus Annums. Their skinnier skis are also fantastic workhorses, but I find them a hair tougher to turn.

FC,

Thanks for the experienced insights. What do you think of the Madshus Glittertind MG skis as a possibility? They'd be narrow enough to be happy in tracked snow but would obviously be compromised in deeper snow. We often ski as a group taking turns breaking trail so pure trail breaking ability isn't extraordinary critical.

After a day of mid 50s here we quickly went -17*F last night with several inches of fine heavy snow now covering a foot or so of now solidly frozen mashed potato snow.

Hope you're enjoying good skiing.

Hugh
sciguy1911

Postby sciguy1911 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:42 am

Go Fish wrote:I have a pair of Rossignol BC90s for this sort of thing and I love them.

Is the width of these a problem if you attempt to ski already tracked areas? I'm looking to ski both off as will as on track areas so they will both be compromised a bit.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Hugh
sciguy1911

Postby flyingcow » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:56 am

sciguy1911 wrote:
flyingcow wrote: My bigger "light" BC skis are Madschus Annums. Their skinnier skis are also fantastic workhorses, but I find them a hair tougher to turn.

FC,

Thanks for the experienced insights. What do you think of the Madshus Glittertind MG skis as a possibility? They'd be narrow enough to be happy in tracked snow but would obviously be compromised in deeper snow. We often ski as a group taking turns breaking trail so pure trail breaking ability isn't extraordinary critical.

After a day of mid 50s here we quickly went -17*F last night with several inches of fine heavy snow now covering a foot or so of now solidly frozen mashed potato snow.

Hope you're enjoying good skiing.

Hugh

I've never skied Glittertinds, only the epochs and eons, but I know there are quite a few people on this board who own them. I hope they will chime in.

sciguy1911 wrote:
Go Fish wrote:I have a pair of Rossignol BC90s for this sort of thing and I love them.

Is the width of these a problem if you attempt to ski already tracked areas? I'm looking to ski both off as will as on track areas so they will both be compromised a bit.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Hugh

Most groomed set tracks are 68-70mm. I can just barely squeeze my BC70's into tracks, but if the snow is hard, they drag.
Far less perfect than Zim.
flyingcow

Postby Go Fish » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:48 am

The only time I ran into problems with the BC90s was on groomed trails. They do not fit in the grooves. I've got a pair of classic, kick and glide skinny skis for that now.

The BC90s are happiest stomping through untracked snow or tracks that don't see groomers. Most of the nice back country places I go, the tracks are laid by folks on skis as wide or wider than the BC90s so it isn't an issue.
Go Fish

Return to The Gear Shop