• Advertisement

Crispi Svartisen 75mm

Read reviews and tests of all the newest gear courtesy of Eric Fey and Telemarkdown.
Got some skis you like and want to share the vibe? Tried some skis at a demo and hated them? Cool boots that have a great flex? Share it here. Questions about mounting bindings, waxing and sharpening skis? Ask away...and here is a chance for all the shop geeks out there to show us what they know.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk

Crispi Svartisen 75mm

Postby flyingcow » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:00 pm

So this NTN evangelist has been playing more and more with light touring gear. A little while back, I finally pulled the trigger on a leather 75mm boot. The Brothers Fey had the Svartisen in my size, and since I already know the Alpina Alaska just doesn't fit my foot that well (tried once before, took one run, sold them) I went for them.

I just took them out for the first time paired with Karhu Ryders @ 192cm. I was in a small forest in Stowe with gentle rolling hills and about a total of 300'-500' vert for the loop. I put some kick wax on the Ryders and within three minutes of setting off, I remembered why I hate kick wax so much. Regardless, I persevered as I wanted to see what these boots felt like. In one word... Brilliant. I had complete control over the 78mm under foot skis, and on the couple of spots where I was able to pick up some speed, the turns felt natural and easy.

I need to spend some more time on them, and I'm planning on converting my Madshus Annums from SNS-BC over to 3 pin to lay down some more mileage and clean up my turns. Next year, if I decide to replace my ailing BC70's, I might try to get these boots in NNN-BC for my skinny setup and pair them up with E99s. That might be entertaining.
Far less perfect than Zim.
flyingcow

Re: Crispi Svartisen 75mm

Postby MikeK » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:12 pm

Excellent!

Glad to see someone else giving these boots some love.

I have both the NNN-BC and 75mm version. You won't be disappointed with the NNN-BC boot. It's actually more capable than the 75mm - it has a REALLY stiff sole. The upper is exactly the same - last might be a tiny bit different, but I'd guess, if anything, it's a hair wider in the toe box.

I actually splurged recently and bought some special paste from Crispi for these suckers. No idea how it will do in the long term, but it is a water based cream developed for their hunting boots. Figure at least they know their own leather.
MikeK

Postby flyingcow » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:36 pm

MikeK wrote:Excellent!

Glad to see someone else giving these boots some love.

I have both the NNN-BC and 75mm version. You won't be disappointed with the NNN-BC boot. It's actually more capable than the 75mm - it has a REALLY stiff sole. The upper is exactly the same - last might be a tiny bit different, but I'd guess, if anything, it's a hair wider in the toe box.

I actually splurged recently and bought some special paste from Crispi for these suckers. No idea how it will do in the long term, but it is a water based cream developed for their hunting boots. Figure at least they know their own leather.

Did you get the BC from Pyrenees? How did that go?
Far less perfect than Zim.
flyingcow

Postby MikeK » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:53 pm

I bought my BC from Aventure Nordique. I also bought my wife a 75mm pair from there too. I would have bought hers from Teledown, but they were out of stock for the year.

I bought my original 75mm (first pair) from Teledown.

The overseas thing was quite fine actually. My first pair sat at the post office for a long while because the delivery slip fell into a crack in my mail slot. I wound up calling them in France and trying to speak very poor French to the poor girl on the phone, who was only slightly better at English than I am at French.

Once she confirmed it was sitting at the post office no more than 1/4 mile from my house, all was well. :D
MikeK

Return to The Gear Shop