• Advertisement

Liberty Origin 106

Read reviews and tests of all the newest gear courtesy of Eric Fey and Telemarkdown.
Got some skis you like and want to share the vibe? Tried some skis at a demo and hated them? Cool boots that have a great flex? Share it here. Questions about mounting bindings, waxing and sharpening skis? Ask away...and here is a chance for all the shop geeks out there to show us what they know.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk

Liberty Origin 106

Postby Erik » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:39 pm

If you've ever come out to demo from the Freeheeler's Demo Tour, you know there are a lot of Liberty skis to consider. The flagship Helix, the Sequence, Variant 97, Variant 87 ...all amazing skis. and usually every skier can find one(or more) they just love. I'm convinced it's the bamboo core that they use and they've persuaded me that renewable bamboo is the best wood for skis...ever! Bamboo is flippn' magic in a ski. It gives every level of skier huge smiles. It's light and so snappy, and without the attitude that a metal layer can give a ski. Bamboo skis often need to have a flatter camber due to the "life" the wood has. If they put huge camber in, it would explode you wayyyy out of every turn, so therefore you'll find camber in Liberty skis, but just enough to keep them snappy and fun.
At the end of last yr, we got the news...The Helix - the long reigning king of the Liberty line, was going out of production...wtf>?? I was pissed...It aint broken, why fix it??
Taking its place at that coveted spot in the line was the Origin 106...we weren't sure about this. Then the reviews started coming in from our skiers.
The Origin 106 picks up where the Helix left us, but here's the difference- and it's a good thing... The 106 comes to the snow with more tip rocker, slightly wider under foot, and a smaller turn radius that definitely pleases the Easties. The Helix had a radius of 24 which was really fun to charge and it swung and mashed so fast you hardly noticed the radius. The 18m 106 however loves to make that "round turn" even with a chubby midsection. The added rocker on the 106 brings that ski around even quicker than the Helix too. The tip-tail profile is twin, but a lower profile twin than the Helix and, of course, still has that backbone of snappy bamboo.
Total winner, and I'm the first to admit that I was wrong in my criticism of Liberty for dropping that Helix for the Origin. The Origin 106 is just one sweet ski. Again- Liberty nails it.
Erik

Re: Liberty Origin 106

Postby Biff » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:51 am

If they are anything like my 87's then they are a ski to try...I am very impressed with Liberty.

I have my eyes on the Origin 116. Looks like a great pow board.
The only "normal" people are the ones you don't know.
Biff
Site Admin

Re: Liberty Origin 106

Postby nebcskier » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:44 am

HI Eric - I am excited to demo this ski. Just need to get some time to head of to your mountain.
nebcskier

Return to The Gear Shop