• Advertisement

New Kit!

Read reviews and tests of all the newest gear courtesy of Eric Fey and Telemarkdown.
Got some skis you like and want to share the vibe? Tried some skis at a demo and hated them? Cool boots that have a great flex? Share it here. Questions about mounting bindings, waxing and sharpening skis? Ask away...and here is a chance for all the shop geeks out there to show us what they know.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk

New Kit!

Postby Go Fish » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:32 pm

Last weekend I had the distinct pleasure of meeting Erik Fey in person. I can only highly recommend his "unconventional" ski shop in New Boston, NH. What a great guy!

In light of the "death to telemark thread" I must add this disclaimer: For the record, I began my tele career, 20+ years ago, in a pair of well used Asolo leathers riding on a beat up pair of 200 cm Blizzard V20 Thermo slalom skis with Voile three pin cable bindings. Since then I got a good job and started exploring the "New Gear". I've had a long run with Scarpa plastic boots and they have served me well. They were always a bit tight but Garmont (now Scott) were always way too much volume for my feet.

Last weekend I picked up a pair of Crispi World Cup NTN boots from Eric. I feel like Goldilocks...they are just right. I've been wearing them around the house all week and they just keep getting better.

To compliment the new boots I also got a set of 22 designs Outlaw bindings. In tour mode there is no resistance. I can't wait to try some kick and glide with them. Set up for the down, they adjust from the mid point activity of the Hammer Head or Vice binding all the way up to UBER active. Again, I can't wait to get them on snow.

I'll add to this post as I get snow time on the new gear...is it snowing yet???
Go Fish

Re: New Kit!

Postby stoneman » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:23 am

I'll second your comments about Eric. Good guy and always friendly/helpful.... his shop is the ultimate man-cave
stoneman

Postby Go Fish » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:44 pm

This weekend I'm with my family in North Conway for a trip to the North Pole on the Polar Express. If you have never done this and you have kids that still "believe", do your younglings a solid and try it out. The folks that put the magic train ride together put their hearts into it and it is really well done.

Prior to the train ride, we skied Attitash while 6 inches of fresh was falling. The snow was soft and forgiving but it is not what my new gear was designed for. I found myself wishing for my old boots and bindings.

I started out with the Outlaws set for the mid point of their activity range and the boots snugged up tight. I was with my wife and ankle biter so we were on low angle pitches. At low speeds I could not get the boots to flex and the bindings were no help. I'm not a small guy (6' 0" and 215 lbs) and I am a fairly aggressive skier. This combo of boots and bindings is no joke. To pass the time, I made alpine turns like my heel was locked down. Thankfully it was pretty chilly and we took a break after 4 runs to warm up.

I used the time wisely to dial the bindings back to the lowest activity level, loosen the boot buckles and flip the walk/ski lever to the walk mode.

When we went back out I was able to push the set up into some tele turns but it was nothing like what I have grown accustomed to over the past 20+ years, The response to input is instantaneous. There is no chance to "feel out" the direction the skis were pointed toward. It is knee drop and immediate direction change. The experience was pretty intimidating.

My feeling is that this set-up will excel on hard pack/ice at high speed. I'll let you know as soon as I can.
Go Fish

Postby Go Fish » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:34 pm

I switched the Outlaws from my mid-fats to my slalom skis and gave them a go at Wachusett last night. I can sum the experience up in one word:

POWER!

Last week the combination of first day of the year, new hill, new boots, new bindings and fresh snow threw way too many variables into the mix for me to properly evaluate the gear. Last night it all came together after I figured out how the boots wanted to flex. They will not allow you to be a sissy. The boots want you to drive the turn from your hips and almost force you to stay square with the fall line to get a proper flex. Once I started skiing like I meant it, I was blown away by the sheer power and control the boots and binding provide.

Lateral stability is mind blowing. In all of my years of dropping a knee I have never felt like I had the same angulation and rotary control that you get from fixed heel gear...until now. It is sort of a double edged sword. The added control means that small adjustments translate to big results but there is substantially less "margin for error". Executing a nicely carved turn is a lot easier but if technique is lacking there isn't a whole lot of wiggle room to correct it before something bad happens.

I'm not going to sell my T1's just yet but I'm really starting to love this new gear. I think all it is going to take is more time on the snow.

I messed around while scooting from lift to lift with the bindings in tour mode. I think they would be passable for stomping through pow with skins on for a lap or two but I think they would suck for a long tour or a big climb. There is something about the way that they pivot in tour mode that did not work with my anatomy. Maybe it is just me.

Aside from the performance aspects, being able to step in and not mess with cables, bales, safety leashes and cold wet fingers simply rocks.
Go Fish

Return to The Gear Shop