• Advertisement

Liberty Variant 87

Read reviews and tests of all the newest gear courtesy of Eric Fey and Telemarkdown.
Got some skis you like and want to share the vibe? Tried some skis at a demo and hated them? Cool boots that have a great flex? Share it here. Questions about mounting bindings, waxing and sharpening skis? Ask away...and here is a chance for all the shop geeks out there to show us what they know.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk

Liberty Variant 87

Postby Biff » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:16 pm

Just got a pair of these from the Fey brothers over at Telemarkdown. They had nothing but great things to say about them so I figured it was worth a try. I debated on the 186 (probably the right one for my weight and height) or the 179 and decided in the end to go shorter. I figured the downside would be in deep powder but I have fat powder skis for that. The skis have an 87 mil waist, an "aggressive multi-radius sidecut" and some "hammer rocker" (whatever that is). Dimensions are 129-87-116. I put some hammerheads on them and gave them a go last Friday. Very nice…! Right off the bat I could tell they had some real life to them. Excellent grip on the hard pack too. My favorite ski for short swing on hard pack has been the BD Stigma… it's a relatively narrow and very light ski… and just about every mid fat I try seems like a tank compared to it. This one does not tank. It's not as light or as narrow but it makes up for that with a great grip and solid turning. Short swing...I followed Jim Tasse down a headwall turn for turn (until I petered out) and found them outstanding. I didn't have a chance to take them into deep pow but did get into around 6 inches and they skied like a dream (but then, almost everything does in six inches of powder…:).

But hey, that's just one day so far. I'll add on to this review as I ski them more but so far… excellent all around tele ski!
The only "normal" people are the ones you don't know.
Biff
Site Admin

Re: Liberty Variant 87

Postby seb » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:47 pm

Hey Biff, you still like them? I just found a good deal on them and was wondering how they'd be as my main frontside/groomer ski. Also, 172 would be good for me I assume if you got the 179...?

Thanks!
seb

Postby Biff » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:42 pm

Yea, I have found them to be a really nice ski. I think you will like them.
The only "normal" people are the ones you don't know.
Biff
Site Admin

Postby Scotty » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:21 pm

Seb, did you end up buying the 172's? If so, how tall are you?

thanks
Scotty

Postby The Court General » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:42 pm

I have been skiing the Liberty Variant 87 this season with NTNs. This is my first season as a free heeler, so I tend to parallel more than I should (I have to catch up to the kids, the terrain is getting the better of me, or I am just plain tired). I like this ski. I also ski them in my local GS races and they handled the gates great whether it was slushy out, ice, or PP. They ski much better than my old K2s. They are heavy, but I don't notice that when skiing, only when carrying them.
The Court General

Postby seb » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:51 am

Yes I got them and have one season into them. I'm 5.6 150 lbs and 172 fit just right, but I could use a few more pounds to be able to drive them more. One note about them, this year's model got a reworked structure and have much more camber, which works better I find on the typical eastern resort groomers. Last year's model were rather flat almost fully rockered after a few days on them, which may work for you depending on terrain. On firm days, I still prefer my 70mm waist slalom skis though, but I'm looking forward to some corn snow on the Variant.

Enjoy.
seb

Return to The Gear Shop