• Advertisement

(Quick)MEIDJO REVIEW

Read reviews and tests of all the newest gear courtesy of Eric Fey and Telemarkdown.
Got some skis you like and want to share the vibe? Tried some skis at a demo and hated them? Cool boots that have a great flex? Share it here. Questions about mounting bindings, waxing and sharpening skis? Ask away...and here is a chance for all the shop geeks out there to show us what they know.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk

(Quick)MEIDJO REVIEW

Postby Erik » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:49 pm

So there's a bit of hype about this new direction Telemark is taking, and there should be. We saw it coming a couple years ago, and it's a reality now. I had never stepped into a tech system prior to testing the TTS, so I have very limited experience with "techs" and their minimalist personae. It's strange to step out of a NTN FreeRide and into the Meidjo toe, but I got over it pretty quickly.
First off, the design is genius. Aside from being incredibly light, they ski with so much power and are noticeably smooth with great range in the spring. I did add the extra spring to my set up because I had heard that they skied soft with the standard spring. I guess if you were lighter you might prefer the standard spring, but I thought it was perfectly balanced with the beefed-up spring. On my first run I took them into some bumps and hammered pretty hard on the toe but never noticed any waffling in the tech toe whatsoever. My second time down, I pushed some hard GS turns on them and also felt right at home. They skied amazingly well and it was so easy to transition and find the ski edge. The transition was seamless. I wish I had some criticism for them,(besides price) but they're really dialed in. "Meidjo" ...maybe they could have some up with a cooler name? Mojo might be better and more appropriate for this binding or Kujo perhaps? Two thumbs up on this binding, and my buddy who took them from me for the rest of the day, gave them 3 thumbs up, but Im pretty sure the 3rd one wasnt a thumb...he really liked them.
Erik

Re: (Quick)MEIDJO REVIEW

Postby Williamtele » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:49 am

Hi Eric,

Will you have the Meidjo when to come to Waterville on the 23rd?
Williamtele

Postby freedan » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:49 am

I love these bindings and have had great luck with them in cold smoke type conditions (dsomehow (Tug Hill lake effect) in this non winter that is all I have skied here on the east coast) but reading the EYT thread and some of my own observations there are 3 issues that are emerging with the Meidjo:

1. Icing and snow buildup under the ntn plate and in the ntn second heel where the duck butt attaches. This has been described as really severe in concrete conditions or conditions ideal for icing. I have had to clear the second heel even in really dry powder conditions when it gets a bit iced while touring up.

2. The heel riser and wire, even installed properly is prone to collapsing. This has been supposedly been addressed with version 2.0 but still reading plenty of complaints about this.

3. Long term durability. While most rave about how they ski, some are very reluctant to take on long tours because the underfoot snow buildup has caused broken and bent parts. The 2.0 version has addressed some of the durability issues but time will tell.

That being said, I feel like I can really trench tele turns even more so than with HH5 for comparison and they rail parallel. I'm enjoying this new experiment in tele gear and always have my old 75mm setup if necessary. Going for a long bc tour this weekend and will report how they preform, especially clicking into the second heel and how much icing is a factor after touring for a couple of hours.
freedan

Postby wallag » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:41 pm

I had a chance to demo the Meidjo this weekend at Waterville Valley. WOW! The step-in is a bit fiddly at first (par for the course with Dynafit style toe inserts), but I got the hang of it. The pair I tried did not have brakes, so I still had to deal with the leashes, but otherwise I could have stepped in without bending over. Getting out was easy: push down on the lever with your ski pole and twist out.

The first thing I noticed was that the binding engages instantly when you start lifting your heel. As you continue to lift the heel it has a nice linear increase in resistance. I could get my knee all the way to the ski without bottoming out. No slop at all in the boot/binding interface. Tele turns and parallel turns both felt very natural. No tippy-toe sensation with the Crispi Evo boots I was wearing, despite the fact they were a size too big for me.

I'm really sold on the Meidjo now, especially with the optional integrated brakes. Now I just need to find a funding source for the boots + bindings. The price is my only complaint... :cry:
wallag

Postby freedan » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:08 pm

Did a pretty full day tour this weekend to a favorite slide. These bindings keep impressing me. I'm having a ton of fun skiing them. The day started out cold, -10, and warmed to mid 20s with warm sunshine. I anticipated possible problems with icing under the plate or in the ntn claw especially as the day warmed with the bright sunshine and solar warming of the surface snow, however, didn't have any problems at all. I didn't even have to clear the claw (I carry a leatherman micra in my pocket so I can use a blade to clear ice if needed) even as the snow started to warm from cold smoke.

I've been skiing them pretty hard and keep inspecting for any breakage or crack in plastic and no issues so far.

Again, the only issue is the heel riser. They keep collapsing, although I much less so by the end of the day (maybe I learned to weight them differently or something) but still often enough to be annoying. I'll probably switch out to a heel riser from 22D, G3 or Voile that is more dependable (whichever is the closest in height).
freedan

Postby UberPooper » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:22 pm

I need to chime in on this conversation about the Meidjo binding. I've had a terrible experience with these bindings as well as the people/person who make/s them. So many pieces have broken on this I just feel lucky that I managed to walk away uninjured.

First, the plastic strip that aids the step-in action broke down. Second, the heel piece disintegrated where it mounts to the ski. Third, the spring housing broke mid-turn (lucky that I only fell in an open field of moguls without any trees or people around). It was this third thing that prompted me to email Pierre to get replacement pieces which took weeks to arrive. I managed to epoxy the previous two breakages and still kind of use these bindings. They also kindly included the stiffer springs that I originally ordered months before...

I skied this a few more times, then the toe pin just fell out. I've tried repeatedly to contact them, but all I get is no response. I know this is a new design, a new company, and telemarking in general (telemarking tends to break things, right?) but I need to have some semblance of reliability in the gear I bring into the backcountry in addition to a manufacturer that will back up their products.

That said, if you want a unreliable, but admittedly very fun-skiing and light binding (when everything isn't broken) then go for this binding. Be prepared to buy at least two pairs of these things for spare replacement pieces since the M-Equipment doesn't seem to care about their product or customers once it leaves their shop. And if they do happen to feel like sending replacement parts it'll be at least a month or two before you actually receive it.

$1,000+ with an added fear of my bindings exploding mid-turn convinced me to return to a more reliable binding that's made in the USA.
UberPooper

Return to The Gear Shop