• Advertisement

75mm Skiers Should Try NTN

Read reviews and tests of all the newest gear courtesy of Eric Fey and Telemarkdown.
Got some skis you like and want to share the vibe? Tried some skis at a demo and hated them? Cool boots that have a great flex? Share it here. Questions about mounting bindings, waxing and sharpening skis? Ask away...and here is a chance for all the shop geeks out there to show us what they know.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk

Re: 75mm Skiers Should Try NTN

Postby jrjr » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:46 am

That makes sense, as i visualize what is happening i can see and feel the hips turning with the skis. I need to counter the hip movement.

But, the upper body... I also realize that my lead hand really comes across my body into the turn. What do i do with that thing?

Damn appendages...
jrjr

Postby Williamtele » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:40 pm

jrjr wrote:That makes sense, as i visualize what is happening i can see and feel the hips turning with the skis. I need to counter the hip movement.

But, the upper body... I also realize that my lead hand really comes across my body into the turn. What do i do with that thing?

Damn appendages...

That's a legacy move. Hard to change but watch the tele racers....they almost throw their outside arms back behind them to get their shoulders and hips squared to the fall line. That's pretty extreme but unless you want to get into lamp cord or duct tape, anything that will keeps your hands from crossing over will help.
Williamtele

Postby jrjr » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:35 pm

Damn. I got some time to spend on some low angle, zero immovable objects terrain.
jrjr

Postby jrjr » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:38 pm

Spent Saturday through Monday up at Jay and put a lot of time into the Outlaw X's. Here's a brief rundown of some notable realizations:

Saturday, spent pretty much the whole day on them. Really worked on what the hips are doing. Took note of WilliamTele's suggestion on getting the core engaged by countering the "uphill hip." Immediate difference on the uphill ski. Tracking was inline and that cured the tangling of the tails...

I also worked on the upper body. I exaggerated the outside arm's movement for a while, reaching back. Obviously, this helped keep the hips in line. The sneaky thing it did, which i was not expecting, was made the transition between turns smoother. At first i just enjoyed it, and then i tried to figure out what was so different.

I had a moment of clarity. For whatever reason, the legs were falling into the turn without thought. To be more clear, the turn became less work. As i came out of a turn and pushed the hips counter and opened up my shoulders, my trailing leg, just naturally went into a lifted heel. In other words, i wasn't putting myself into a tele turn.

Sunday was beautiful as it snowed all day, did some more tele going through the woods with my son. I had a blast, but i have zero misunderstandings of my skill level. Many "Oh SH!7" moments!

Eventually, i found my way back to the snowboard in some steep trees and chutes. Monday morning was one of the best days i've had at a resort in a long time. Saw a few rippers on tele's coming down CanAm during the first mad rush when the lift was opened. Impressive.

Thank you Go Fish, Brenda and William all for the help. I am starting to feel almost competent on the NTN.
jrjr

Previous

Return to The Gear Shop