• Advertisement

Adult binding on junior skis

Read reviews and tests of all the newest gear courtesy of Eric Fey and Telemarkdown.
Got some skis you like and want to share the vibe? Tried some skis at a demo and hated them? Cool boots that have a great flex? Share it here. Questions about mounting bindings, waxing and sharpening skis? Ask away...and here is a chance for all the shop geeks out there to show us what they know.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk

Adult binding on junior skis

Postby Marcski » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:03 am

Will that be an issue? I have some Vices and have my eye on some all mountain skis in the mid-130s in length for my daughter.  Will I have an issue trying to mount them due to the depth or thickness of the ski being, I assume, less than an adult ski?  If I have to use shorter screws will they still be long and strong enough to hold the binding to the ski? The skis I have my eye on are a wood core ski.  Does anyone have any first hand beta or experience?
Marcski

Re: Adult binding on junior skis

Postby flyingcow » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:07 am

Marcski wrote:Will that be an issue? I have some Vices and have my eye on some all mountain skis in the mid-130s in length for my daughter.  Will I have an issue trying to mount them due to the depth or thickness of the ski being, I assume, less than an adult ski?  If I have to use shorter screws will they still be long and strong enough to hold the binding to the ski? The skis I have my eye on are a wood core ski.  Does anyone have any first hand beta or experience?

The challenge you may have is actually with the boots. If I remember correctly, junior boots have a thinner duckbill and require a different binding. If she fits into an adult boot, you're set.

...also, a kid may really struggle to flex against a Vice. might be better off with pins or targas. Might not be an issue though.
Far less perfect than Zim.
flyingcow

Postby Marcski » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:30 am

flyingcow wrote:
The challenge you may have is actually with the boots. If I remember correctly, junior boots have a thinner duckbill and require a different binding. If she fits into an adult boot, you're set.

...also, a kid may really struggle to flex against a Vice. might be better off with pins or targas. Might not be an issue though.

I found a pair of woman's T2s in the smallest size, which fit her. She is pretty strong and athletic for her age but I have thought about perhaps ordering the softy springs for her if she needs them. I think a more active binding will really help her in her tele development.
Marcski

Postby OnEdge » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:54 pm

I have just used shorter/junior binding screws when mounting on a junior ski. You can get them from online tuning suppliers or possibly your local ski shop will sell you some.
OnEdge

Return to The Gear Shop