• Advertisement

mounting Q, NNN-BC + Rossi BC65

Read reviews and tests of all the newest gear courtesy of Eric Fey and Telemarkdown.
Got some skis you like and want to share the vibe? Tried some skis at a demo and hated them? Cool boots that have a great flex? Share it here. Questions about mounting bindings, waxing and sharpening skis? Ask away...and here is a chance for all the shop geeks out there to show us what they know.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk

mounting Q, NNN-BC + Rossi BC65

Postby ts01 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:18 pm

Question on mounting point for a couple of light touring setups that I'm putting together, with Rottafella NNN-BC bindings (http://www.rei.com/product/714152/rotte ... i-bindings) on a Rossignol BC 65 ski (http://www.rei.com/product/892902/rossi ... 5-closeout)

The instructions that came with the binding put the boot toe on the ski's balance point. The skis are marked with what appears to be a center line that's roughly 15mm forward of the actual balance point (at least on the 175, I haven't checked the 185).

What sayeth the nordic nerds - mount on the actual balance point or the marked center line? My instinct is to go with the marked center line because that's easier but no doubt there are other factors. Intended use = predominantly hiking trails and bushwhacking in the Berkshires and suburban golf courses; occasional Nordic ski area visits (the 65s are just narrow enough to fit in tracks).

Thanks for any help.
ts01

Re: mounting Q, NNN-BC + Rossi BC65

Postby flyingcow » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:16 pm

ts01 wrote:Question on mounting point for a couple of light touring setups that I'm putting together, with Rottafella NNN-BC bindings (http://www.rei.com/product/714152/rotte ... i-bindings) on a Rossignol BC 65 ski (http://www.rei.com/product/892902/rossi ... 5-closeout)

The instructions that came with the binding put the boot toe on the ski's balance point. The skis are marked with what appears to be a center line that's roughly 15mm forward of the actual balance point (at least on the 175, I haven't checked the 185).

What sayeth the nordic nerds - mount on the actual balance point or the marked center line? My instinct is to go with the marked center line because that's easier but no doubt there are other factors. Intended use = predominantly hiking trails and bushwhacking in the Berkshires and suburban golf courses; occasional Nordic ski area visits (the 65s are just narrow enough to fit in tracks).

Thanks for any help.

Still pretty new to the nordic BC world, but I mounted my BC 70's at centerline. I think balance point will improve glide, but centerline gives you a wee more control. I could be talking out of my digestive system, though.
Far less perfect than Zim.
flyingcow

Postby ts01 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:17 am

Thanks - cows have a pretty advanced digestive system, and a flyingcow, presumably even more so.

What sort of bindings are you using? What did you line up with the centerline (pins, NNN-BC bar, etc.)? What size boot? (Same question on the backcountrytalk forum yielded a response suggesting more forward with bigger boots, more toard balance point with smaller boots). Are you happy with the result?
ts01

Postby flyingcow » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:21 am

ts01 wrote:Thanks - cows have a pretty advanced digestive system, and a flyingcow, presumably even more so.

What sort of bindings are you using? What did you line up with the centerline (pins, NNN-BC bar, etc.)? What size boot? (Same question on the backcountrytalk forum yielded a response suggesting more forward with bigger boots, more toard balance point with smaller boots). Are you happy with the result?

SNS-BC. I have bar on the centerline of the ski. They ski very well mounted that way, and I do get plenty of downhill control. In good snow, I can link some pretty fun tele turns.
Far less perfect than Zim.
flyingcow

Postby capecodtele » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:49 am

I have the Rossi BC 70s with Manual NNN-BC and I use Rossi BC-7 Boots (size 44/US10.5). I mounted them on the centerline. I use them in the woods and on groomed trail and have used them to do some downhill practice. They are really hard to initiate turns but they kick and glide really well. The turn initiation could be more of my lack of skill rather than the binding mounting position, but that could be my new go to excuse!
capecodtele

Postby Bern » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:34 pm

Just as a matter of information, I've found turning an be greatly influenced by edge tuning. If a ski is too turnie, dulling toward the front tips will tone it down. To increase turnability, dull the tails and maybe file the front tips flatish, say 1/2 degree. It was surprising that minute changes such as these could make a noticeable difference even to a hacker such as myself. Bear in mind that I'm a compulsive tinkerer and fearlessly jump into gear projects with industrial strength grinders, files and sandpaper.
Life is complex - it has real and imaginary parts

You can observe a lot by looking. Yogi Berra
Bern

Return to The Gear Shop