• Advertisement

New tele ski suggestions?

Read reviews and tests of all the newest gear courtesy of Eric Fey and Telemarkdown.
Got some skis you like and want to share the vibe? Tried some skis at a demo and hated them? Cool boots that have a great flex? Share it here. Questions about mounting bindings, waxing and sharpening skis? Ask away...and here is a chance for all the shop geeks out there to show us what they know.

Moderators: flyingcow, Dirk

New tele ski suggestions?

Postby Gschimma » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:58 am

Back skiing after a 5 year hiatus. You know, wife, kids, etc. grew up in Colorado skiing everything, maybe not pretty. Started tele around 2000 and now only telemark. Live in Maine and have skied 5-6 times this year (Sunday river). Looking to retire my 2003 k2 superstinx and targa t3's and upgrade to something new. I'm 6'2", 230#, relearning tele turns on mostly blues but will occasionally flail down a double diamond alpine style. Would like something to enjoy the New England crunch, currently cruising blues but hoping to learn to make tele turns in the diamonds. Single ski quiver. Bought some garmont voodoo boots 5 years ago so NTN not an option. Now my boys are starting to ski I'm planning to ski a lot more. Any ideas where to demo? Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Gschimma on Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: New tele ski suggestions?

Postby Go Fish » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:23 am

I think the very best quiver-of-one, in bounds ski for New England is the Volkl Kendo. It is essentially a fattened-up GS ski. They will care up the nastiest boiler plate ice with ease and they have enough girth and a bit of rocker to make powder and crud fun. I like the Blizzard Brahma as well but it is not quite as energetic as the Kendo.
Go Fish

Postby flyingcow » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:51 pm

I'll second the Kendo or the Brahma. Both will take you pretty much anywhere you need them to go. If I was on 75mm, I would go straight to the 22 Designs Axl or Vice bindings (depending on if you want touring capability). I'm not sure who does demoes up there, you just missed the Mt. Abram tele festival, which had quite a few! That's how I became friends with the Brahmas. I'm sure some of the Maine folk will be here to let you know who can demo what where. Welcome back to the party, and welcome to Telemarkeast!

Far less perfect than Zim.

Postby Biff » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:11 pm

You can demo gear at Allspeed in Portland or The Green Machine in Norway.
The only "normal" people are the ones you don't know.
Site Admin

Return to The Gear Shop